Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show us your "traditional" TEARDROP CAMPER...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm guessing that people must have been smaller "in the day" cause you ain't getting my big ass in that teardrop.

2. That little one that FORDNUTZ posted is just about what I was thinkin of.
    I'm planning on pulling it behind my deuce, which is only around 2,000 lbs. with antiquated brakes. I don't want to have to think about it being back there.
    I just want a place to sleep for a few hours. The rest of the time I'll be drinkin' moonshine and throwin' water on streetrods. Besides, RYANS car is really loud early in the morning. [​IMG]... [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone for all the info...
    These things are cool. I've wanted one ever since Donald Duck went bouncin' down the road in his. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

3. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Got rid of my crappy little camper, but this type was always one of my faves- 1955 kom-pac trailer boat, the top came off the camper and was a boat. Always thought it'd be cool to find an old boat and build a camper like this around it. Then I woke up and realized I'll never finish my current projects...
    [​IMG]

Also, Shasta made a pretty cool little camper that had silver 'wings' on the back. Couldn't easily find a pic that I could scab, however.

Just some different ideas for your project. Good luck.

4. swissmike

swissmike

junkyarddog, check out the website desertteardrops.com as mentioned above. They have complete plans for the "Kit" teardrop trailer. They are $60 but contain full size templates and instructions. (Not that it takes a brain surgeon to build one of those things, but it makes it easier)
    I have been doing some research lately and found that I want to try and get the plans from this site. Anybody familiar with tose guys?

I would like to pull the teardrop with my A roadster on duece rails. Anybody have experienced pulling a 650lbs trailer with such a lightweight vehicle?

Nads turned me on to a cool book on the subject of vintage trailers. It's called "Ready to Roll" and worth getting if you're toying with the idea of building something and need some inspiration.

5. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Swiss mike desertteardrops.com is SoCheap here on the board... maybe he'll give you a Hamby discount...

6. swissmike

swissmike

gr8ballsofire, thanks for the info. I just went ahead and ordered the plans. It said on the website to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery in light of the events of september 11. WTF? Did he switch to pony express to send stuff out?
    Cool website, though.

7. carnut68

carnut68

Hey Joe, does Tuck know you want too sleep with him...lol... [​IMG]

8. Yeah, but we've talked it over and decided it would probably ruin our friendship. [​IMG]

9. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

My 81 Scamp Camper (Behind the Black 53). Sunday morning on a float trip I woke up with my head in a puddle in the bottom of my tent and said never again! Tuesday I went and looked at the trailer the lines match my favorite trucks so I bought it. When the truck on the right gets paint someday it will be painted ot match.
    [​IMG]
    I slept on the ground for 25 years, now I can't belive I didn't buy one sooner.
    MONGO

10. Toqwik

Toqwik

There is a rv dealer here near me, they are selling new trailers that resemble the teardrop trailers. Look kinda cool from the road, but not stopped to look at em, sure they aren't cheap....To

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Does anybody know what the hell kinda wheels those are on the old KIT campers?
    They're 16" with six lugs. The axles stick out so far I can't imagine how you would put hub caps on them The wheels do have tangs for hub caps though. I'd love to put some caps on mine.

Also SwissyBoy, if you're gonna build a camper I suggest you use parallel lead springs as opposed to the torsion bar suspension I have on mine. That torsion bar's stiff as heel.

12. swissmike

swissmike

Nads, is yours a dropped axle or a straight axle? What's wrong with a torsion axle. That's what they recommend on the website for the plans I'm getting.

13. Jdee

Jdee

Here is a pic a a scotty blocking my garage ...
    My Partners
    Gotta get rid of those dumb paws and get some aqua paint.
    or nobodys gonna pull it away [​IMG]
    Jdee [​IMG]

14. Heres a picture of a teardrop that belongs to a friend of mine. He totally rebuilt it from ground up. It has the original propane tank, gas burner and ice box. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Yeah... That's what I want.
    That's the perfect size. What... about 8' long and 4' wide.
    DUSTY suggested a "slot" in the rear kitchen area where the mattress can slid out.
    I love the fenders on that one too TWISTED OKIE.
    I'll have to DP-90 mine to match the car. That'll look cool against the aluminum.

I soooo gotta build one!!!

JOE[​IMG]

16. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here my 48 kit when we were coming back from the redwoods in 1998 to idaho. they pull real good to at least 100.

Attached Files:

17. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Hi guys,
    I am from Wisconsin and I have a Original 1946 Kit Camper Company tear drop camper.
    I pull it with my 1941 Ford Sedan Delivery street rod. Been all over the country the last 2 years with this set up. Sure beats the price of the host hotels on those rod runs.
    I have been on several Street Rodder magazine rod runs to Texas, CA, CO, NY, KY, TN and more.
    Great fun!!
    AL THO, I need help with the Original Torsion Bar axle system. The bushings in the torsion bar tube seem to be wearing out and causing the tire and wheel to have too much play and leaning in to the camper at the top.
    Any one have any suggestions?
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  18. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

They are early Chevrolet truck wheels. 6 X 5 1/2 1947-53.
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I own and use a orginal Kit camper as well as build a replica unit as well. My orginal trailer did what yours is doing, i ( took some time) replaced all my orginal axle grease zerts and finally got some grease in the tubes and out the bushings , never hit the sides again....
    www.bubbastrailerpark.com

Hope it helps...:D

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Traditional,I think Not. A Teardrop, well kinda?
    But it is a 1947 built by the Aluminum trailer Co. in Glendale ca. I built the porthole windows, wings, skirts and rear wood deck. The plan is to pull it with the COE some day.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Here is one I built a few years back in England, larger than most, all aluminium on a 1/2" sq tube frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rear bumper is an English Ford model 62, very like a 36 Ford one.
    the wings are 48 Austin pickup. Art Deco interior, I sold it to Dooster hotrods in the UK, unfinished.

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I bought a new one last year from a company in Wisconsin called Camp-Inn. It fully loaded with air and a tv.

Doug

IMG_3777_a.JPG

Attached Files:

24. jguff

jguff

This is a pic of a 1936 homebuilt "woodie" teardrop that I owned until last August. Great little trailer. Traditional size, 4' by 8' and style. Built on some kind of old car frame with 17" ford wheels and leaf springs that were 4' long.

Jerome

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  25. jguff

jguff

IMG_1533.JPG

guffman woody 002.jpg

The top pic is my current project, a 1948 Modernaire which I am making roadworthy and campable and the lower pic is my homebuilt which I finished in early 2008. Camped in that one at "the bend in the road" at Bonneville last year.

Jerome

26. nexxussian

nexxussian

Jguff

When I try your link I get

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>[​IMG] [​IMG]vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle>
    <!-- main error message -->Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

<!-- / main error message -->​

<!-- <input type="submit" class="button" value="Go Back" accesskey="s" onclick="history.back(1); return false" />
    -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:(

27. jguff

jguff

I will try this one.

IMG_0996.JPG

Jerome

28. jguff

jguff

Mar28^30.JPG

I towed a 1947 Kit to the International Teardrop Gathering in 2005 with a 1963 Riviera that I had at the time. Have since sold both of them.

Jerome

29. Here's some pics of the 1947 KIT "Sportsman" teardrop camper trailer that we were going to tow behind our full-fendered '32 Roadster and/or the HEMI32 coupe:

] 1947 KIT Sportsman - 1.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 2.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 3.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 4.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 5.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 6.jpg

We added some "matching" tires & rims** and started the initial "bodywork" ... but I kinda lost interest in the project ... and eventually sold it in 1991.

** NOTE: our '32 Roadster ran a set of chromed 1950-60 Chrysler (Motor Rim) wire wheels (with repro 1932 Ford V8 hubcaps) ... so for the trailer we also opted for Chrysler wires ... except we painted them '56 Cadillac Mandan Red (same as the HEMI32 coupe) ... and added some stainless beauty rings off of a later model Volvo.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  30. mj40's

mj40's

Here is mine. It is a homemade unit from about mid 30's. It was so old it had a wooden frame and tongue. The tongue was made from two 2x4's and measured a true 2"x4". hardwood. I rescued it out of the hills of Idaho. It was being used as a storage shed. The interior was in pretty good shape and we liked its patina along with the windows and inside roof vent. Built a new steel frame, replaced a few pieces of aluminum siding and remodeled the rear cooking area for our needs. DA sanded the whole thing so the new pieces matched the old stuff. We love it and camp all over the NW pulling it behind one of my rods.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files: