Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show us your "traditional" TEARDROP CAMPER...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I'm thinkin about building one, and would like to see some ideas. Any little "trick" doo-dads, that you don't see everyday?

Way too much $$$ flies out the window every year staying in some fancy hotel, that's run by A-rabs.
    Besides, I wanna sleep with TUCK at BTT50's [​IMG]

...THAT didn't come out right.

JOE[​IMG]

2. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Heres a crappy pic of a camper my friend brad barrows built by scratch and tows around with him! Nate

Attached Files:

3. InPrimer

InPrimer

check on the RRT look under members(Sumner) under 1FATGMC, he's got a few sites there

4. atch

atch

5. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

but Atch - you want a SCOTTY remember?
    [​IMG]

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had a 1940's factory tear drop back in the 70's. They're fine for a couple of guys. Not too much fun for a young family. In a Scotty you can stand up and pull your pants on. That's a big plus over a tear drop.

7. Thanks guys...Great stuff!!!

JOE[​IMG]

8. dondanno

dondanno

Heres the one I had in the classifieds...Danny

Attached Files:

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

hahahaha... I hope u guys camp this year... the campsite RULES. We wana bring a pop-up instead of my tent with air conditioning and micro fridge.

theres NO ROOM in my tent except for jolene so you better be planning on buying a damn camper

ive been working on a guy to buy a old 40's teardrop from california. Its super cool... and old... and has a patina... its perfect. But this guy wants to tear it apart and make plans and make a new one... i tried to explain that you can buy plans but... some people... damn

tuck

10. I check out egay and came up with plans for tear drop trailers from the 40's for $9.95 (buy now) plus $2.50 shipping. Don't know if this would be something you'd want or not. Tear Drop Trailer Plans on Ebay.

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

[ QUOTE ]
    In a Scotty you can stand up and pull your pants on. That's a big plus over a tear drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone provide more info on the "Scotty"?

Are they rare / still available / what?

I just went and looked at a 1951 Crown 15' semi-tear drop / polished aluminum - really cool looking and still all original, but a little too far gone and I have too many projects going to rehab it right now.

12. atch

atch

CB,

Yes, I want a Scotty; but if I don't find one I might build one similar to my friend's 40's all aluminum teardrop. That's right, NO WOOD. All aluminum aircraft construction with rivets. This thing's 50 - 60 years old and doesn't need to be restored 'cause there never was any wood in it to rot. His children are grown/gone now, but when they were small the 4 of them drug that thing all over the U.S. behind a model A sedan. For me (single; just one person to occupy it) a teardrop would work fine and tow pretty easy. But if I find a Scotty I'd like that even better.

13. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

MAN! I've wanted a teardrop for a long time. I did some research online also, so you should be able to find just about any style you can think of. According to a couple of those sites, you'd probably want to stay away from one you hafta restore, because just about everything's shot (plywood, alum., etc.); then again, they probably just want to sell you a $60 set of plans.... [​IMG]

14. Here is one I picked up a few years ago with big plans to fix it up. almost all the wood has been replaced but it needs to be skinned. It has a masonite skin on it now.

Your today for only $500 bucks or trade.

Attached Files:

15. dusty

dusty

Are you on broadband or fast dial up? I have some pics of my build up I will email to you.

16. Me? Dial-up.
    Actually, I'm so far back in the woods, I think it's 1880's telegraph lines. You're welcome to send 'em, though. Thanks.
    I'm at [email protected]

I had NO idea there was such a "cult following" for these. That's pretty cool. Bought or built, I'm definately gonna have one this summer.

Thanks guys, and keep 'em comin'

JOE[​IMG]

17. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

18. sawzall

sawzall

this is my scotty.. behind my 40 ford.. in hackberry, AZ summer 2003

scottys were made from mid 50's through mid 80's they were built in irwin, pa. somewhere in OK.. and at a plant in GA.

mine is a 15 foot from 1969.. several other members of the sowhat crew have them as well..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  19. I did the logo for this guy:
    Tiny Tears
    He claims to have flipped one of his over and not sustained any damages. I don't think he builds them, just sells plans.

20. Not a teardrop, more of a marshmallow. This is our '78 Burro, the same Co. made the U-haul campers that look similar. This one has the big, round taillights.

I'm 6'2" and can stand up in the center, and it has a double bed in the rear half. Keeps the rain out, the 5000BTU A/C more than compensates for no insulation, even in FL and my 4 banger S-10 pulls it easy.

21. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    In a Scotty you can stand up and pull your pants on. That's a big plus over a tear drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone provide more info on the "Scotty"?

Are they rare / still available / what?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here's the link to my scotty....in progress...going slow now that it's winter...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=179740&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Also...if you go to the scotty yahoo group they know their stuff. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/serro_scotty_camper_enthusiasts/

I personally haven't found THAT much information online regarding scottys... There is one website that has great pictures of restoring one. Watch ebay - one or two go up for auction just about every month.

22. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

23. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

24. Old blue, our 47 ford with my son's 47 kit camper. Nutz

25. old blue and our 70's beachcomber. 1400 # and 15 feet long. Tows like a dream.

26. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

27. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

The early Hot Rod Mechanix by Tex Smith had plans for them in one of the first few issues. If I can find the time I will look it up. Can't show pictures though, I don't have a scanner.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

fordnutz, I have the same exacy '47 KIT. I bought mine years ago for $650. I love it so much I conceived my 2nd kid in that thing at Daytona. It's now christened The Babymaker.
    I lost all my pictures due to my computer crashing otherwise I'd post some.

Pick up that book Ready To Roll, it's truly awesome, but quite expensive.

29. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a teardrop but a 72 Boler. Super light and big enough inside for me to sleep(I'm 6'3")

Attached Files: