Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy inline 6 head casting numbers!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Gent, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

I know, I know, it's been covered before. BUT WHERE. I have checked both inline groups on Hamb. I have tried the search. I have Googled till my mouse is about wore out. All I get is SBC, BBC heads, inline 6 blocks. One more time, where are the Chevy inline 6 cylinder head casting listings??? Trying to come up with heads compatable to the Chevy 292 inline 6. Thanks

2. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

3. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Marcel8u-Thanks much. Should be a good help. I got one head to check out. Other usefull info also. Not much on the 292 though. Got it on my favorites!! See you just joined last month.Welcome aboard.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The best stock head to use is off a 194 CID engine, casting number 3864883; it has the smallest combustion chamber of all these heads and will give you a bump in the CR, especially if milled. HEI distributor, Clifford intake and exhaust, and a mild cam will ready wake up your engine. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

You may also want to check out stove bolt.com. They have all kinds of information on these motors.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. old sparks

old sparks

inliners international web site has a casting numbers listing. all 194 thru 292 heads will interchange. the 194 head will give you 1 more point of compression, being smaller, but some will argue that without a bunch of unshrouding at the valve its not worth using. if you`re serious, take no more than .015 of the deck when you have the motor squared. do not spin the motor more than 5000 rpm with stock rotating assembly

7. old sparks

old sparks

sorry, bad info. head casting numbers can be found in leo santucci`s chevrolet inline six cylinder power manual. if you will post your numbers , i will look them up.

8. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

old sparks. You were right first time. Got the list on inliners int. 56sedandelv. Thanks for the heads up. Got the Clifford with a Holley, HEI on a donor engine I am not sure what it is as it sits up at my shop in TN. and I'm here in FL. May be a 194. Got a NOS set of long tube headers 3 into 1, 3 into 1. May want to trade them off if they don't fit into my 48 Chev 1 1/2ton flatbed. The long block I have is a previous marine engine and I have read that the cam is something a little special. Any info in your head on that? I have one or two heads here to check out and 2 engines in TN. What would 64 Chevelle 6 cyl W/powerglide be? Thanks. Ken

9. old sparks

old sparks

gent, the 194 is not something i would use. the 230/250 which is what you most likely in your 64 is a good motor. the only difference between a 230 and a 250 is the stroke. a 250 crank and a different compression height piston (307 small block) will go right in. the 292 is a truck motor using torque not rpm to do the job. i`m building a forced induction version of the 292 now. all this being said, you can get 200 more horse power for the same money out of a small block chevy.if you`re into inlines, you might want to join inliners international. the inliners really know these motors and will also tell you when you`re full of it like they have me a few times so don`t be sensitive. we are a bunch of old men and we act like it. luck to you and your project. dan

10. Joe H

Joe H

All the 230, 250, 292 heads are the same except the crappy ones with the intake cast with the head. The older heads all flow the same and will interchange. The 194 head will raise compression, but its a restrictive flowing head. 307 V8 pistons will raise the compression of 250 by one point (about 9.0-1) and are a drop in swap. 283 V8 will do the same for a 230 inline. 292's can gain compression with propane pistons or after market race pistons. Heads will not make any difference in compression or flow, so grab the first one you find.

Joe

11. old sparks

old sparks

gent, listen to mr. hamby, he knows what he`s talking about. i will give you a bit of my experience.though. the best conversion i ever did was a 350 in a one and a half ton 53 chev wood truck. other than my stupidity for using flowmasters it made a new truck out of it. my worst is my latest , a 12 valve cummins in my 78 one ton . i hate it so much, i put a non-op on it and parked it.
    dan

12. Why does Inliners.org redirect to the old truck webring, and how in the heck do i view inliners.org?

13. old sparks

old sparks

try inliners international . com

14. 64-4door

64-4door
    from Minnesota

You're doing something wrong :p

Works for me.

15. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Hay guys. Thank you all for the info. I wound up with alot of stuff I was looking for. Dare to be different. Too many SBC out there. I really can't see much extra work other then motor mounts to swap in the 292 over a 350 SBC. At least in my case. The torque from a 292 is what I am looking for to get out of my 48 Chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed hauler. I was going to mate it up to the old granny 4 speed through an eartly V8 truck bellhousing, but will go with a T400. I am hoping that a 350 flexplate, Caddy Eldorado converter and the 400 will all work together. Use what you got!! Like my 47 Dodge pickup. Flatty 6, split exh manifold, homemade dual carb tubular intake, etc. Thanks Ken

16. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Well I have checked out a number of sites with Chevy casting numbers and came up blank. Chevy inline 6 cylinder head # 3788380. What is it???

17. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

18. High5

High5

I would contact Tom Langdon at Stovebolt Engine Co. He's a technical advisor for inline engines of your displacement and should know what head you are dealing with. This is his web site. Check it out.

http://stoveboltengineco.com/

19. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Just dropped Tom a pretty indeft email this afternoon. Do you know how long it usally takes for a reply??

20. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Casting #'s are irrelevant, it's either the small, closed chamber 194 head, which should never be used on anything but a 194 engine, or the open chamber 230,250 or 292 head. Its real easy to tell by looking at the chamber size.
    A 292 made over 300 HP on some dyno testing done over on Inliners a while back, so don't let the fact it has only 6 cylinders fool you. There is also a turbo 292 over there that is making almost 900 HP....in a 1937 pickup truck.

21. casophylip

casophylip
    from london

Got it on my favorites!! See you just joined last month.Welcome aboard.[​IMG]

22. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

CNC-Dude, Thanks for the comeback. I'm only as a point of interest wanting to know what the head is from. I'm not wanting to go great guns on this 292. Want to use what I got and put it in my 1 1/2ton flatbed as a local hauler. Already have a Clifford/Holley 4bbl setup and a NOS set of full length tube headers (which may not fit the truck). Wanted info on the head and also on the MARINE CAM if there is any advantage to that grind. Would like to go the LPG pistons route, but not in the budget at present. About set on hooking it up to a th400 to make life simpler. Any cam info would help. Again head casting is 3788380. Sent Tom Langdon a email with all this info + no reply and the last inquiry on his website is 4/2012!

23. Joe H

Joe H

The head number is not going to tell you any thing we haven't all ready told you. All the heads are the same, there is only a slight, 1 or 2 cc different in any of the 230- 250-292 heads. The 194 head has Siamesed intake and exhaust ports. The same casting number was used on lots of cars and trucks for many years. Pontiac, Olds, Buick, GMC, Chevy, and Checker all used the basic Chevrolet inline engine.

Build what you have and move on.

Joe

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

ALL the 194, 215, 230, 250, 292 heads have siameased INTAKE ports; the exhaust are all separate (as evidenced by the headers you have). I can't make any statements on the "integral intake head", but no one is going to use that head anyway. I stick with my 194 head suggestion. I built a 250 this way many hears ago, and had the 194 head milled .060. HOWEVER, it makes for interference issues (valve to piston) if you ever over rev like I did with a missed shift. The gas available now will limit the CR you can use, and get away with; the 10:1 I wound up with a 250/milled 194 head combination won't work well with todays gas. It was an impressive little engine. Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Country Gent, go over to Inliners and search for all the Dyno testing results done on these heads and engines. There are engine recipes over there for virtually any combo of performance you desire, made with real apples to apples comparisons of all components like heads, cams, intakes,etc....

26. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thanks guys. Just got a reply back from Tom Langdon yesterday. The head is a 194 head, 62-67. He does not recommend it for the 292 unless you want to go great guns on head work(grinding, relieving,bigger valves, hardened seats, etc.) In stock form, it's not worth the 1 point CR increase because of retrictive flow. 230, 250 better choice for a street stocker. Again I am putting this 292 together for a 48 Chevy 1-1/2 ton flatbed. Note Tom DOES NOT sell front conversion motor mounts for this application Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  27. So...you want to use a front motor mount for a 292? How are you going to mount the transmission?
    Following with interest as I have a few of these sitting under a shelf in the shop.

28. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Hay, Stevie G. Will PM Ya and not tie up this thread, Thanks to all for the input on my inquiries. Still open on thoughts of the installation. Tom Langdon leans strongly towards the 700R4 for a tranny choice, as he claims the 1 1/2 ton truck has like a 6:13 rear. WOW. That makes me really shy away from the stock Granny 4 spd. Will keep this thread open for additional suggestions. Would like some input on the 700R4 use ( what model to look for, one better choice then others?, what components needed to install it etc.) Thanks