Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oklahoma drag strips-pictures??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mow too much, Nov 16, 2009.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's a nice little flathead D/A at Willow Run on the opening weekend. Anybody recognize it?

[​IMG]

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is another repost. It's a nose on view of the Surfers AA/FD car at Willow Run 8-1966. That's Bob Skinner in the red Keds and the Surfers legenary 55 Chevy push car in the background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. partsrivet

partsrivet

SS driver Mary Ann Foss stops at the gas station at Tulsa during the World Championships in 1967. Prior to this hemi car, she drove Pontiacs. Mary Ann red lighted against Grumpy Jenkins during eliminations. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Manning and Gipson from Amarillo ran this BM/SP in the Div. 4 points chase in the mid'60s. I think that Manning was a hairdresser, which is how the car got its name. [​IMG]

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is the pits at Southwest Raceway during the World Finals in 1966. What a great time to see some of the best cars in the nation at what we considered a local track.

[​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is the only time I can ever remember seeing this nice looking A/SR. Anyone have any stories about it?

[​IMG]

7. Larry T

Larry T

Thanks for the picture of the Hairbender. First one I've seen on the internet. The guy that drove it was a hair dresser. The car would pull the front wheels on the first couple of gear changes-neat deal.

This car and Brad Kleins Dream Chaser Corvette would show up at Cherokee Dragway real regularly.

8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Kansan John Weibe preparing to make a run at Tulsa in May 1966.[​IMG]

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Roy Spradling ran this nice AA/C in many Div. 4 races. He's seen here working on his car at the opening of Willow Run in August 1966. [​IMG]

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dick Moritz fires the Moritz and McClintock AA/GD and heads for the line, while Roy Spradling does likewise in his AA/C during time trials at the May 1966 meet at Southwest Raceway, Tulsa. I'll probably get flamed for this, but in my humble opinion, Oklahoma had some of the best looking as well as the hardest running cars of all the Division 4 states. [​IMG]

11. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's a shot of Paul Richardson from Xenia, Ohio working on his SS/AA hemi at the World Finals in Tulsa in I believe 1966. Don't recall how he did. [​IMG]

12. rustbuild

rustbuild
    from oklahoma

Anyone have pics of the guthrie race track four sons raceway it was a oval but towards the end a drag strip was added.i will get what i can from my dad and post them.

13. mow too much

mow too much

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

14. partsrivet

partsrivet

I somehow managed to delete the original posting of this picture. Bob Gibson sent me some more info on it so here it is again. He remembers George Cox driving the Banzai car here at Sand Valley in 67. I'd forgotten all about ol George. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  15. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

This is awesome... I always wanted to show the Boys(Scout Troop) the early history of Oklahoma and the Drag strips of the 50's and 60's...
    Keep them coming!

FrankBoss

16. partsrivet

partsrivet

Louis Boyd from Oklahoma City eases his AA/FD towards the line at Southwest Raceway in Tulsa.
    [​IMG]

17. partsrivet

partsrivet

Another view of the pit activity at the 1966 World Finals. Visible in this view are Dick Brannans Ford A/XS Mustang, "Fast" Eddie Schartmann's Comet and Deloy Naeb's Corvette. And on the far right is Joe Lunita's Troublemaker from Memphis. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  18. partsrivet

partsrivet

Californian Mike Sorokin, driver for the Surfers AA/FD looks a little baffled by the headgear worn by one of the local fans at the opening of Willow Run in August 1966[​IMG]

19. partsrivet

partsrivet

One of my favorite cars. Frank Smith's gorgeous Chevy-powered A/Comp dragster in the staging lanes at Tulsa in May 1966.[​IMG]

20. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Man! What a great picture of Mike Sorokin. Was he cool are what!

Surfers Rule!

Thank you partrivet!

1940 Willys Coupe

21. partsrivet

partsrivet

Moritz and McClintock's AA/GD from Tulsa on the trailer at Amarillo TX in March of 1966.[​IMG]

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

Arlen Vanke from Akron Ohio brought his SS/B hemi Plymouth to the World Finals at Tulsa in October of 1967. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  23. partsrivet

partsrivet

I posted this picture from the opening weekend at Willow Run over on the Jr Stock thread, but figured you guys might enjoy it also. You can clearly see how new and raw the track was in August of 1966. More of that famous Oklahoma red dirt showing than pavement. The black car is Joe Smith in the Fenner Tubbs SS/A from Lubbock TX. Behind him is Mike Schmitt from Ridgecrest, CA stopping over on his way to the Nationals in Indy. The yellow car is the famous Parham, Payne and McDaniel F/SA blown Ford from Tulsa. Not sure about the other cars-maybe someone will recognize them. [​IMG]

24. partsrivet

partsrivet

An unidentified AA/A blasts of the line at Tulsa in April of 1967. [​IMG]

25. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

There was a track in Guthrie??

26. rustbuild

rustbuild
    from oklahoma

Yes, there was my family built it in the sixties and ran it throw the seventies.It was larger than the fairgrounds before the fairgrounds downsized.i will get more of the specs from dad but i know it had 16ft banks and a track record in the 160s on dirt!some nascar guy.They also ran motorcycles althow the track was to big unless there were 650cc or so.It was located on pine between seward and charteroak? i may have those mixed up. it was behind the brick home that looks out over the highway 1/4 mile some of seward.you can see it on google the pond has filled most of it.east side of the highway.

27. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

wow! thanks for posting. I'm a big fan of the Parnam/Payne 57. Love seeing that pic as I know others will too. Saw it run in Tulsa quite a bit.

28. partsrivet

partsrivet

The Burt Brothers from Tulsa prepare to fire up their AA/FD at Southwest Raceway in Tulsa in May 1966. At the time, this was one of the winningest AA/FD's in Div IV. [​IMG]

29. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dean Lowry from Riverside California has brought the EMPI Volkswagen to run in H/G at the 1967 Finals at Tulsa. The little car ran in the 12's at over 100 mph. Not bad for 118 cu in. [​IMG] Photo by Chuck Conway

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  30. partsrivet

partsrivet

Jere Stahl from York, PA ran this SS/B hemi Plymouth in 1967. The car is resting between rounds here at Tulsa but the 1966 World Champion would not repeat this year. [​IMG]