Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

MD1320guy,Great job on the kit!

I have a few of those going on the bench too! The eyes ain't as good as they were 20 or so years ago(amongst other things!).

Checkout the model car thread here on the HAMB every Sunday.

2. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Troublemaker427...Our paths may have crossed if you ran any NMCA events 05 - 09 when I worked for NMCA & NMRA. Do you run out of Hampstead Speed?

64Comet...A good hobby shop will stock decal paper (clear or white) that you print on just like photo paper. The only problem is that you have to use the white paper if anything in your print is white (then trim the edges REAL close).

3. Jimbo302

Jimbo302
    from Micronesia

11.40's? That car is very sharp, but dang its sleepy! Very nice!

4. The owner of Hampstead Performance grew up with my dad and they raced Modified Production together in the 70's. Ricky, the son of the owner and I went to school together and are friends too.

I haven't ran any NMCA events since the 90's. I won NSS at Maple Grove in 1995. I ran more NSCA events then NMCA. Charlie Booze and I are very good friends and were just at PRI together.

5. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Charlie Booze? Some names are are just primed for trouble. :D

He actually sounds like a very cool guy.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0701_top_10_ford_mustangs/index.html

Charlie Booze '93 Mustang

OK, let's just say it outright. Any car that spends the first 330 feet of a quarter-mile pass draggin' its rear bumper is going to make the Top 10 list. It's that simple. Add to that the fact that Charlie Booze's GT is feared at all NMRA Hot Street events, and it's a shoe-in. Fact is, people run to the fence to watch this red rocket run.

Booze also drove the Mustang to the 8.8-second zone for the first time in Hot Street trim, and he continued to mow down everyone who got in his way. His ride is powered by a Kuntz & Co. small-block and backed by an automatic tranny. The '04 season saw him qualify number one at every event. In 2005, he backed it up with another Hot Street championship, and this year he is the odds-on favorite to win it again. All of that makes him and his Stang a Top 10 contender. By the way, did we mention wheelies are really cool?

6. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

I second that motion. Really like this shot.

7. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Very impressive! I'm still working my way through this massive thread.

Sure wish I would have kept my '64. Kicking myself now.

8. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Hmm.

Is that '64 wagon near you still available?

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Yes its still for sale, Just reposted. I havent had the time to go look at it. I myself have way too many projects to build to even think about it. Littleton is only 20 mins. fro me if anyone wants me to go look.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2122098037.html

1964 Mercury Comet Wagon. 289 V-8 automatic. "K" VIN car with higher performance engine.

This is a very cool car and would make a fun restoration project. Runs and drives great, but leaks tranny fluid when parked.

The car is probably 90% original. Most, if not all, of the chrome is on the car or in the back. Original interior - blue - front seat is pretty torn up.

Original paint except front fenders and hood are in primer. Body is good except for rust behind passenger rear quarter panel. This has been a Colorado car for a long time.

It has crager ss wheels and old tires.

I hate to sell it, but just don't have the time to spend on rebuilding it right now. I am not desperate or in a big hurry to sell it, so please don't waste time with low-ball offers.

If you are serious about spending the time to come look at it based on what I am asking, please call to schedule a time to take a look at it. The bottom right photo is an example of a finished car.
    These look just like the ford falcon of similar year.

$3000 or best cash offer. Might consider trades for 4x4 ATV.

Mark

303/941-5444<!-- START CLTAGS -->

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is one of mine for sale. call for details.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2115249205.html

1965 mercury comet caliente. PROJECT car. Does not run and have no tittle. Perfect for that race car project, A/FX potential., or for parts.Extra parts included. 600.00 or best offer Get ready for next season.

303 -887-5400<!-- START CLTAGS -->

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

11. That is Freds red 64.
    Roger

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yer killing me down here in SoCal!!!

I gotta get rid of the Mopars!!!

13. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;is that the 65 you went to look at?I wish I had the room,I would find the money for that 64 wagon!!!The red and white wagon was at the All Mercury show a few years back. Roger;I think you are right,sure looks like Sassy,even has the mobile house in tow!!! Dale;that 64 wagon would make a GREAT tow car for the "ROCKET"!!! ROY.

15. eldercaddy

eldercaddy

The comet looks old but it is cool!

16. Muttley

Muttley

17. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Nothing beats the rear Stance of a 64 A/FX Comet

[​IMG]

18. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I'm working on a buyer for your 65, Junky. For me, its the thrill of the build !!

19. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Ken,Is the '65 for sale?

20. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Yes it is. But, Its a full project with some rust repair and Rear Qtr repair. Perfect for a race car, probably too much to go back street. Price is right , taking offers.

Wanted to make this one an all out NSS car but I just have too many other cars to do it.
    I can give a detailed condition of the car to those who call or e-mail.

Working hard on getting a T-Bolt ready for the 50th, comming up in 2014.Going to try and take all the cars to some of the events.Hopefully Get all the Comet guys to join in the fun. I missed the main 40th,and regreat it.Just listen to Roy or some of the guys that were there.Dont want to miss the 50th. My guess it might be the last great Nostalgic show in which the Legends really come out for.If your a fan of these guys it dosent get any bigger than the 50th.
    Would love to travel out there in a group, Need to hook up with the west coast guys as there traveling through.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  21. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Where will the 50th be held?

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I have not heard any dates yet for the 50th.If it will be anything like the 40th it will be worth more than money can buy!!!!You may need to pop the question over on the T-Bolt thread,Dennis or Jody may know something.The 40th reunion is ALWAYS on my mind,the highlight of my racing and car life!!!!The dinner at last years 45th was pretty special too!!The fact that they included some of us Mercury guys into the 40th show was a real treat!!! ROY.

23. Roy & Ken: I'm up for a trip as well. I'm in SW Oregon but where would the 50th be??

Ken I'll call you in early Feb when I'm back in Castle Rock Colorado. I'll get the 65 Comet hood then

Thanks Richard >>> Movin/on

24. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Are there pix from the 40th and 45th reunions? I'm still wading through this monster thread.

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

No word on where yet,Early rumors are Detroit.Jim Amos with Bee on Video Has a Dvd covering the 30th and one covering the 40th, Highly recomend viewing, Perfect X-mas Stocking stuffer to yourself.

http://beeonvideo.com/

Hopfully Eddie will have his Falcon done.My buddies Tony T-bolt will have his T-bolt ready by then,And 427 SOHC (eric) will have his EarlWade Cammer powered 64 R-code galaxie ready to go.I'm sure Jack with his Two T-bolts from Utah are going.We might have Five to ten cars just from Colorado going.
    The problem will be if like in the 40th year they were celebrating at a number of events all over the country. Its too hard to hit them all.Heres a pic from the FE nationals in 04 that also was celebrating the T-Bolt.First time I ever saw this many T-bolts in one place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if we can get a row of Comets that look that good.

26. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Ken,
    looks like a cool video. If the 50th is here in the detroit area,that would be so wild!
    There are people still around here that worked on the cars at DST.A friend I work with,his father is one of them.

JunkYardFrog,
    Here's a link to some of my pics of the last Fairlane meet they had in Dearborn.It was very cool! I think that's what ROY was refering to.He mentioned he was there.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/vehicles/33888

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;too bad you could not go on to Carlisle,that lineup was NOTHING compared to PA.!! ROY.

28. 1965comet

1965comet
    from edmonton

anyone ever seen Jim Amos 1965 comet he had for sale how nice of shape is it in and does he still have the car for sale?

29. It's looking like as of right now the 50th. will be in Dearborn again.

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Not to try to pull out of the 50th topic, but I keep forgetting to ask, and being in the presence of good Comet company know I'll be pointed in the right direction.

I"m trying to light up my fuel sending unit gauge. It was mentioned to me that I needed a resistor to jump across the two terminals on the back of the cluster?? I know I have no such thing on the back of my cluster, but was thinking GM speak when I assembled it, never realizing I needed this "part"? Any help is appreciated. Can I order one? What are they called? I love the fact that I"m still running the stock fuel tank set-up - - - - - for now!