Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Bean Bandits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hell yes, they kicked ass in the face of adversity. Nice read over my morning coffee.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Those guys are and always have been about racing in its purest form....Innovation, experimentation and energy. Hats off to em.

4. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Ignorance of the times???? I suppose someone made theses rodders put the pinstripe artwork on their car of the dude in the Sombrero too?

Geeze, I long for those "Traditional Times" when everybody wasn't so sensitive.

I hope the ACLU doesn't go back and try to sue our grandfathers for hate crimes based on race discrimination.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Can you read? Or do you just skim?

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Damn straight, Fabian, Tom, Diana et.all, do it like it used to be done......they are great people and they represent what Hot Rodding is all about............

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  7. bct

bct

thanks for the link....my kind of people...

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

An older shot, not taken by me but still cool...

[​IMG]

9. 1929 casey

1929 casey
    from santa rosa

Looks like this guy might not be able to read? That's sad. I thought Colorado schooling was better than that?

Nice read Ryan.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love the Bean logo, I can try for days to replicate some of the simplistic logos that Hot Rodders used back in the day but I always come up short. Looks like they are carrying on a from an awesome history.

11. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I did read the story....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The Bean Bandits changed their name from the "Cam Busters" to the "Bean Bandits". If they had been totally pissed and weren't the kind of people that let the name calling roll off their back they wouldn't have done so, right?<o:p></o:p>
    They could have fought, they could have sought legal reparations, but they did their thing they way the knew how to do it.<o:p></o:p>
    That's my point. <o:p></o:p>

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The Bean Bandits are true.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

They seem like a very genuine group and it's very cool to see the legacy still going with a younger generation.
    I finally got a chance to meet Tom and Dianna recently at the LSRU in Austin - great people!

Here's a quick shot from Bonneville Speedweek 2008...
    [​IMG]

Malcolm

14. They had some great looking cars. Like's been stated, "innovative".

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have the 50th Bean Bandits poster done by Bob McCoy and signed by many of members. You could fill a couple of books on the exploits of the Bandits. My fondest memories are of the grudge races at Paradise Mesa Drag Strip with the Speed Sport Special out of Tucson in the 1950's.

16. Mike

Mike

I have been a big admirer of the Bean Bandits for many years, long before I knew any of them. Using inginuity and elbow grease and over coming underdog obstacles, they still kicked everybody's ass (even the big dollar guys).

I am very lucky to call many of the Bean Bandits freinds and it has been a huge thrill for me to help them in the pits at Bonneville the last few years (the goofy fucker wearing the yellow ball cap in the picture is me).

The Bean Bandits are the genuine article, 60 years of building hot rods and race cars, winning races and setting records, all for the love of fast machinery and the thrill of speed. It gets no better.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  17. unkamort

unkamort

Maybe myth, or urban legend... I read somewhere that The Bean Bandits were the first crew to use Nitro. The story went that some member(s) were janitors at JPL where they caught the interest of an egg head who turned'em on to the stuff claiming 'Its no good for rocket fuel'. Can this be confirmed?

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm thinking the Bean Bandits had the first drag car to run 100 mph or maybe 150 in the 1/4 mile?

19. Terry

Terry

Fascinating, Thanks Ryan.

20. 2002p51

2002p51

When I lived in San Diego, several times I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Joaquin Arnett.
    He's a genuine good guy and a great story teller! :)

21. I have met some of the past and present members, they dispell the myth that nice guys finish last. what a great bunch of folks.

22. Awesome read! Thanks for sharing.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've been reading about the Bean Bandits for 50+ years. Every time I spot the name in a magazine it's about some record or new idea they are trying. A very inovative group and I'm glad to see some of the younger generation carrying on the tradition.

Frank

24. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

unlike most of these so called '' car clubs'' the bean bandits are the real deal...
    you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of people.

25. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Great read! Thanks. . .

26. Mooneyes 2008...

Attached Files:

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Thanks for the tip on the website.

I have read about the Bean Bandits for years. Always admired the laid back, but fearless way they went about the sport.

I have also always liked people who didn't take themselves TOO seriously, could take a joke and give it back. The name of the club, and the logo says that about them.

The original members also did the most important thing possible, passing the skills and passion to a younger generation. True leadership is being able to develop other leaders. Looks like the club is in good hands.

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've admired the Bean Bandits for many years now, and was thrilled to meet some of them with the cars in Arizona a little while back.
    Very genuine group!

29. Extremely cool and talented guys...always on top of their game and only interested in going faster...they don't go around with a "hey look at me" attitude...if you ever get the pleasure of meeting some of these guys make sure and pick their brains 'cause I guarantee you that you will definitely learn something...Julio just did some metal work on my 37 international pickup and I don't know what was better...the work he did...simply amazing...or the couple of hours I spent picking his brain and hearing some cool stories...these guys never brag...they don't need to

30. Deadender60

Deadender60

The Bean Bandits that I've met (Fabian, Tom & Diana) are good people.

Thanks for the link, I've read some stuff about them but hadn't been on their website.

-Juan