Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Fords- "Continental Kit"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jul 12, 2010.

1. no, nada, nope zilch,zero,negatory, neva, NEVER EVER on a shoebox

and about 99.99% of all the other cars

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you want superfly? get a 76 caddy and paint it purple!

3. A Boner

A Boner

There were way more cars in the early to mid 50's with continental kits, than there were guys, and especially girls with tattoos. I never owned a car lowered in the back.....I probably had the 2nd car in town that was lowered in the front only, as that was the "latest fad" after I bought my first car.

4. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

This thread hurt my eyes! :(

5. froghawk

froghawk

Combined with skirts and swept-back dual rear antennas any car can look like a tuna boat.

Worst connie kit I ever saw was on a '63 Galaxie ragtop. The faceplate had chrome eagle wings with a '54 Ford hood emblem in the middle. Stainless skirts, dual antennas with raccoon tails and the optional wire wheels covers on the front completed the look.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

To the OP.... This Coachcraft Shoe was a magazine cover car in the early fifties. (Photos courtesy Rikster.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I know it's an East Coast thing, and I'm born and raised in Brooklyn NYC but I just have NOOO love for the connie kits...at all...

8. U-235

U-235

"Which leads me to my #1 kustom faux pas: Van trim rings on passenger car continental kits. Absolutely awful. On par with mung, genocide, and stabbing babies with a pitchfork. Don't do it. The correct ring is narrow and has a constant radius. The van rings are wide, and flat across the middle. They are immediately recognizable, and let everyone know you're a cheap fuck that couldn't get the right shit. Atrocious."

Finally somebody has pointed out the gross error of these reproduction continental kits...the van cover...! totally wrong Thanks Joe.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

AND, 2 years too late to the party:

FWIW, obviously, the "van ring" connie kit cover didn't make any difference to the "new" owner...FWIW, this '57 Ford Retractable fetched $72,000 at Barrett-Jackson's Florida auction back in the spring. "Cheap fuck" indeed...!!! Go tell it to the guy that bought it...!!!

R-

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

This is a beautiful car! I dont see how you could improve on this one! Jim

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Haha, hey man, never said the car wasn't beautiful, just that the trim ring is faux pas. For a mere $200 (adjusted for 2 years of inflation) the car could be totally fixed! Speaking from personal experience, the van ring is a necessity if you're going to haul a radial back there. Personally, I'd rather have the right trim ring and keep a bias ply as a spare than drive 99.9% of the time with a weird trim ring. So my move was to totally remove the kit, which I think was a good idea.

The "cheap fuck" comment was more directed to the very common practice I've seen of cobbling together kits from spare parts, different makes, or scrap metal. The nice, correct repro kits from Continental Enterprises and the like are VERY expensive, so especially on the East Coast, we see people try to take the inexpensive path. It doesn't work.

If someone coughed up $72K for that ride, that's a good deal for them. You couldn't pay someone to build it for that much.

12. Brians53vicky

Brians53vicky
    from Monroe, MI

I'm looking for a Coronado kit for our 53 Victoria. If anyone has one available please let me know.

thanks-
    Brian
    Monroe, MI

[email protected]

13. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

14. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If you have a shoebox coupe you gotta have a conny. Try continental enterprises, kelowna b. C. Canada phone250 763 7727

15. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I agree, they have the best kits in the country, I have used a few of theirs, on 56 fords, 56 merc, and recently on a 58 bonneville convertible, all fit and looked perfect! I would highly recommend them to anyone! Jim

16. A Boner

A Boner

Back in the 50's there were way more continental kits on customs than there were chopped tops.............way more. Not my favorite, but that's the way things were, in the midwest anyway.

17. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

They were fairly common around here "back in day", especially on taildragging shoeboxes, with loud rapping mufflers and asphalt-scraping club plates. Often they were adorned with devils, flames, skulls, pinstriping decals, or the car's name, like "Dreamboat", "Peggy Sue", or something. We thought they were cool. We liked the fake Caddy fins, quad headlites, and grills made out of cheesy cabinet knobs too. You could get all the kustom stuff you wanted at Almquist back in 1962.

Attached Files:

18. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I just took off the kit that I had on my 51 Shoebox, if any one is interested pm me, its black laquer with a chrome outer cover and front and back black laquer tire cover and all hardware CHEAP>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I can't down load pictures but can email them.

19. Shoeboxs are to flat sided to carry off the long back end ...in my opinion...

20. I don't mind them sometimes. Depends on the build

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I know this is an old thread, but I have reason to look into the availability of a '52-'54 Continental kit.
    Any info out there?

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Look here for continental kits:

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were first seen in the mid fifties and were offered as a dealer installed accessory by most car companies. Certain cars like Packard Carribean and Lincoln Continental came with them stock. Could also be bought as an aftermarket accessory.

From a functional standpoint there was not much to be said for them. Gave you a little more trunk room which you usually didn't need but at high speed, was like towing a parachute behind the car.

If you had a nose heavy car with a huge engine up front the connie kit could help restore some balance.

Some like them some hate them but there is no doubt they were part of the car scene in the fifties, and a lot of guys at that time thought they were cool.