Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Diego Rivera's Ford (Detroit Industry) Mural

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Terry

Terry

Sorry, it is as bad as the rest of his work. Don't care for it at all.

2. GoBettie

GoBettie

3. I Drag

I Drag

A masterful work, but not without controversy. Some felt that the depictions of workers made them look like they were working in an almost slave-like fashion. This was attributed to the artist's political views of commerce and industry. Not exactly the tribute to capitalism that was expected.

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Right, but it stands a tribute to the Ford family for standing by Rivera's talent & his right to his political views, despite the shit storm that ensued when it was "unveiled".

It's a FABULOUS piece of art & considered to be Rivera's masterpiece. We're proud to have it in the Motor City.

5. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

My reaction to the tour group of upper-class people is at the expressions of seeming disdain on their faces; as if they're looking at these laborers the same way that they'd look at apes in the zoo. I'm sure this is one of the many political statements in the piece.

The same panel shows a man-the one with the ballcap in the lower left-caught up in the rhythm of his work and almost smiling. A look of satisfaction.

One of my favorite panels is the multi-racial and multi-ethnic group of men pulling the cart of engine blocks all in the same direction as equals. It's a great illustration of Ford's integrated workforce.

From the Wikipedia article:

Even before the murals were made, there had been controversy surrounding Rivera's Marxist philosophy. Rivera's works in Detroit are his only works in the United States. Critics viewed it as Marxist propaganda. When the murals were completed, the Detroit Institute for the Arts invited various clergymen to comment. Catholic and Episcopalian clergy condemned the murals for supposed "blasphemy." The Detroit News protested that they were "vulgar" and "unamerican." As a result of the controversy, 10,000 people visited the museum on a single Sunday, and the budget for it was eventually raised.

One panel on the North wall displays a Christ-like child figure with what appears to be a halo over its head. Surrounding it are livestock, a doctor and nurse giving the child a vaccination, and three men working on a lab experiment. This is believed to be a parody on the birth of Christ, with the scientists as the three wise men, and offended members of the religious community. It was demanded to be destroyed, but was saved due to support from commissioner Edsel Ford and the director of the DIA.[2]

Rivera depicts the workers as in harmony with their machines and highly productive. This view reflects both Karl Marx's begrudging admiration for the high productivity of capitalism and the wish of Edsel Ford, who funded the project, to have the Ford motor plant depicted in a favorable light. Rivera depicted byproducts from the ovens being made into fertilizer and Henry Ford leading a trade-school engineering class.

I read somewhere that Henry Ford didn't like it. Edsel B. Ford was an educated, cosmopolitan man who certainly knew what he was buying.

This artwork is a national treasure. Someday I intend to see it in person.

Thanks for posting this.

6. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

You're not such a bad artist yourself big sis! Now this is art I am going to put in my shop. Hmmm. 20 foot ceilings here we come.:)

Oh and how many artists have in their own way said FU to something or one in their art. Von Dutch did it all the time.
    I have three big tikis down at the staples center that I carved my last name into the design on the foreheads. The client was the biggest pain in the ass so I left my mark! My tiki carving mentor confessed he did the same thing 45 years ago . Haa.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. GoBettie

GoBettie

Thanks Bro...that means a lot coming from you. Count me in whenever you want to get started on those 20 ft ceilings! And I can't wait to check out your mark on those tikis downtown... gotta make a trip down south just for that.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

The DIA really is an incredible place. I went there for a huge Egyptian exibit when I was a teenager and I went back two years ago for Monet showing. I can't believe I missed these murals. I see Dustin (Sin Ticket) wants to go, if anybody else wants to check out the DIA during Autorama that would be cool.

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

Not just legs, the whole thing has "artistic license".

In Rivera's eyes it was Henry Ford and his K9!
    [​IMG]

10. moefuzz

moefuzz

I couldn't agree more, an absolutely beautiful piece of American history.

Sadly, I will probably never travel to America to view the artworks in person so I have to give thanks to the hamb and to Jive-Bomber for posting this.

Cudos

11. SocialD34

SocialD34

Rivera's work is masterful! I am a big fan of that Art Deco style of painting, but Rivera's work seems to be a step above the rest. Thanks for posting!

12. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

For all the art freaks, here's something about Rivera's mural in San Francisco :

The Diego Rivera Mural at SFAI
    "The Making of a Fresco Showing the Building of a City ("Making a Fresco")", (1931) is one of four murals in the Bay Area painted by Mexican artist Diego Rivera (1886-1957).

The entire post is here:

http://www.sfai.edu/page.aspx?page=34

13. Even if you're not into art, stopping by the DIA to see the Detroit Industry is a must for any car person visiting Detroit. I has the opportunity to visit the DIA back in 2006. Rivera's fresco is truly breath-taking to see in person and it's sheer size is overwhelming, the 360-degree view gives you some idea but nothing can compare to standing in the inner court and viewing it in person.

14. BStoltz

BStoltz

I never knew this existed but man it looks amazing!!! I will have to check it out this spring when i am back in detroit for sure.

15. Terry

Terry

16. 21tat

21tat

Those are some amazing works. Thanks for posting the pics.

17. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

¡Arte por "el arte"!

Just kidding.
    I really do like it. I've never seen these Ford renderings before.
    Very cool.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, stunning. Very cool post, thanks Jay. The 360 view is awesome!

edit: damn, the 360 view really is awesome. Check out the zoom feature. I'm not sure what camera they used, but it has one hell of high resolution. You can really zoom into any part of the room in some serious detail.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  19. GoBettie

GoBettie

20. sololobo

sololobo

When I lived in Calfornia I was so impressed by a visit to the Norton Simon museum in Pasadena where Deigo's work was show cased that I have been a huge fan since. We were fortunate to have a large display in Omaha last year at our fabulous Joyslyn Museum of Art. I went four times and came away thrilled each time. HIs lady companion Frida Caldo is another inspiration of art for me, these people were pioneers in progressive thinking and are most interesting. Thank you for this wonderful tribute post. ~sololobo~

21. MattStrube

MattStrube

Stunning...is it me, or does the window in the first picture on the JJ look like the Chevy Bowtie? :)

22. Jive-Bomber, thanks, never seen this before.
    Rolleiflex, x2, GREAT poster art back back in the 20's, 30's & 40's.

23. Darby

Darby

One of my favorite pieces of art in the whole world. I go every time I'm in Detroit. even when I've been in a rush, I'll pay the DIA admission just to stand in that one room for half an hour and take it all in.

24. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ok I'm blown away. When I was a kid about 5 years old I saw a flatty gettin yanked and thought it looked like a bull dog I've always thought that and here it is look how it's "standing" just like a bull dog!

25. HRod 50

HRod 50

I never liked that Fat F**K! I hated what he did to Frida Khalo, and a friend has a couple of original Diego Riveras paintings, and Frida Khalo.. Now I guess I'll like him. Damn it!....

26. MT63AFX

MT63AFX

I marvel everytime I see it. I now have an 8x11 framed print of it above my computer. Being a Ford employee for 42 years and counting, Diego's depiction of the machinery is surreal and captures the mightiness of the furnaces, presses, and the conveyor systems. IIRC, the Rouge had over 100,000 employees at one time. One story is told when Henry Ford was showing Walter Reuther how a new tranfer system was installed between presses eliminating jobs. Henry showed Walter a finished fender gloating about the new technology. Walter replied (paraphrasing here), "looks nice Mr. Ford, now see if that transfer system will buy it on their new car". I'm glad it survived the naysayers and can truly consume a day at the DIA, Rod.