Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Fords- "Continental Kit"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jul 12, 2010.

1. zep058

zep058

Damn those Continental folk what were they thinking!

This is what I expect to see when continental kits are mentioned, either a picture of the car you are driving or musical notes and/or daddy-yo-poodle-rock-a-silly images painted on.

Each to their own I guess.

[​IMG]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, that '56 looks like it might have started out on the right track. but, the mural belongs on a "look at me" rich guy's motor home. wrong skirts, etc-oh well

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I've never owned a car with one on it, but my all-time favorite kustom (the Ernst Chevy) had one and I love it on that car. It is definitely an Ohio/Penn/WV/East Coast thing. I saw a LOT of cars with them at shows and swap meets growing up in Northeast Ohio, and have only seen one or two since I moved to the midwest.

4. CantinerosVP

CantinerosVP

all i have a lil info on them. its after market and was never an option with the purchace of the car. i believe the kits are made in Pennsylvania. thats all i know

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

definately the only way they would look right is if the quarters were extended. Leaving the quarters stock would make me want to vomit at the car...

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

As an admitted fan of continental kits, I think there is no absolute rule on them. There are however, some cars that just don't look good with them. The Shoebox Ford and 49-51 Merc are prime examples, but again, with the extended quarters it can look quite attractive.

Though 55-57 Chevs generally look like crap, it's really only the 57s that always look terrible. The Barris convertible 55 looked stellar with the kit on it. I've seen several 56s that look great too. I think the car's rear bumper and tail light configuration, in addition to the car's overall proportion will dictate when the kit is appropriate.

Mid-50s Fords and Oldsmobiles look superb with them.

I'd also say that when a car has a disproportionately long hood to trunk ratio, the kit can be an effective tool in bringing the length into symmetry.

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Minus the lame mural, this is perfect. It just goes with the look as a whole. If you're not going for a smooth and subtle style, this is 100% appropriate. Here, the builder has Merc trim, lake pipes, dual antennas, Packard lights, flipper caps, bubble skirts... the kit just works with the style and everything coordinates. Definitely East coast.

Continental Enterprises is the main supplier of quality kits that I know of. Seems every time I see one at a swap meet, there is something cobbled together about it. The new ones aren't cheap, but if you're going to do it, you better do it right.

Which leads me to my #1 kustom faux pas: Van trim rings on passenger car continental kits. Absolutely awful. On par with mung, genocide, and stabbing babies with a pitchfork. Don't do it. The correct ring is narrow and has a constant radius. The van rings are wide, and flat across the middle. They are immediately recognizable, and let everyone know you're a cheap fuck that couldn't get the right shit. Atrocious.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

I agree, without the quarters extended it just looks out of place. The barris car looks perfect, and I hate continental kits on these cars.

9. phat rat

phat rat

10. -early/mid-fifties coranado kit-

Attached Files:

11. I think if there is a way for you to extend the fenders like in the first 4 pics it would look great or if you can recess the kit into the trunk in the last pic.

Attached Files:

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Late 50's 60's continental kits, cruiser skirts and duel antenna's were the thing

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have mixed feelings. I think they're cool on some cars, but I have no desire to own one. I have good friends that have them.

Attached Files:

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

My close friend, Ron, owns this '57 Ford retractable...it's a recent build...and always gets a crowd around it at any show...

[​IMG]

I like Connie kits on some cars (and it definitely was an east coast influence that extended into the Midwest where I grew up), not every car lends itself to one...especially '57 Chevy's...they just don't look correct...

R-

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  15. Greenfatrat

Greenfatrat
    from Ohio

Any more pics????

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Ahhhhhh!!!!! VAN TRIM RING!!!!!

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Is it...??? I don't have a clue...still works tho, doesn't it...???

R-

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, it's a van ring. See how wide it is and how flat it is across the center? It just looks like it was ganked off of an 85 Chevy van. If you look at the kits in the above pictures, the ring is much narrower, with a more constant radius. If you use the correct ring, you may not be able to carry a radial tire back there, might need to be a bias ply.

Yes, the van ring works. It's shiny, physically covers the tire, etc., but it doesn't look right. That 57 is a real stunner, and is clearly not a low-buck car. Would spending an extra $200 on the correct ring really blow the budget on that build?

Wearing stripes and plaid will physically cover your ass from the elements, but that doesn't mean you don't look ridiculous.

19. Greenfatrat

Greenfatrat
    from Ohio

Heres a Continental kit !!!!!

Attached Files:

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, it's not a low-buck car...and if it were mine, an extra $200 wouldn't make a bit of difference...but as I said in my OP, the car belongs to a friend of mine so I can't speak for him.

Hmmmmmm, I like stripes and plaid...oh well, I think I said somewhere in one of these posts that I never follow a crowd. :rolleyes:

R-

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

that shit is out of control! looks like a damn diving board

22. ItsLUCKY

ItsLUCKY

:):)I like any shoebox Ford
    :):)

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When thje spare tire cover sits straight up and down- Dosen`t look good. They look better when they are slightly tilted.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The first one is for ROGER. The last one-add another set of taillights, it detracts from the conntinental kit.

Attached Files:

25. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

them are differnt thats for sure

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You thought you `ve seen it all.

Attached Files:

27. codeblu

codeblu