Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Survivors On The H.A.M.B.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ryan, Ryan... you've spent too much time among the rats.

At the risk of offending the multitude, there isn't a single car in that group that I would want to drive -- and the only one worth saving, to me, is the DeSoto powered '40. Well, maybe the channeled 3-window.

Traditional rods and customs, yes, I've always been with you on that. But traditionally they were FIXED UP and well maintained, not allowed to degrade into festering sores. And traditionally they were customized with taste. With apologies to their owners, I think this whole group is just awful.

Get well soon.

2. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

and the Friday Art thread done like that too.
    Good idea!

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Obviously, I couldn't disagree with you more. I think you might have missed the point. These cars survived intact - some are ready to be restored and put back on the street while others are, in my opinion, already ready to go. If you would have followed the links, you would have seen that about 80% of these cars are actually already being restored... and you can follow their progress on the HAMB.

In any case, I still love you. But I would like you more if you would keep those damned Ford Taurus wheels off your car. :) That was a rebound jab from the RAT comment. :)

4. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

50Fraud,
    You have to see the orange roadster that headlines this thread.It's a killer survivor!
    You'd drive the wheels off of it...

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 257.jpg My dad still has this car and he got it running and driving Last summer ,Been sitting since 82 ,Built around 1970 And he is a Hamber Citroen Joe

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thread with good links to info on the cars listed. Yes some of them are a bit rough around the edges from sitting for years or neglect but they are all cool and all have some great things on them that guys looking to see "they they were done then" to study.
    It's good to see that most of them got restored to what they were like at a certain time with just the right upgrades to make them more drivable but not change them.

7. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Ryan, hope you start feeling better, on the other hand I love the reserch you do when your under the weather. Great thread. Survivor cars are the coolest. Gary

8. Ryan, I think this one qualifys as a survivor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd say so... I love that car. I've always wondered - do you wish you had it back?

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this car, but it's definitely a survivor!
    (photo @ 2010 Hunnert Car Pileup)

[​IMG]

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

My favorite subject... Look for some of these in upcoming issue of Mad Fabricators next year..

12. Gunpilot

Gunpilot
    from Tennessee

All awesome survivors. Equally as impressive to me are the owners who for whatever reason pushed them in a corner which ultimately preserved them. Others are out there, no doubt. Unfortunately there are "hoaders" who allow great artifacts to disentigrate with the ravenges of the elements, but in their minds they have vision. I'm sure Mr Breen thought he was doing the right thing with the Little Monster, and ultimately I think he was right. As cool as the cars are, I'd like to hang out with their original curators.

13. casper

casper

I have posted pictures of this car on here a few times, but I feel the need to post it here. I got this car from the original builder "Thomas Payne" around eight years ago. He built the little "cut down" in 1946-47. It was raced at the Clovis speedway and ran around the streets of Fresno just after the war (II). I put a wanted "old hot rod" ad in the local free paper and this gentleman called me and started telling me about his car. I honestly thought it was Skipper or Crowder prank calling me! But he told me his address and this is what I found less than 10 miles from my house... The entire story was published in HOP UP magazine a few years ago. My friends Jim Crowder and Bobby Olovera went back over to his house with me to help roll the car out ( the tires were so flat, it took two floor jacks to move it out of the garage) The grille and radiator were sitting beside the car and one headlight (king bee) was sitting in a burlap sack. Everthing on this hot rod is untouched since 1952. It's not a 32 Ford but it is a survivor! here ya go...

Attached Files:

14. Every day of my life Ryan, every day. :(

15. casper

casper

A few more... sorry to multi-post.

Attached Files:

16. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Ahh, my car missed the boat again...

Attached Files:

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of my favorite windshields of all time... I love the way they did that out of (I'm guessing) 38/39 windshield? Either way, that car rules.

18. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Not really sure what it's from. The window is iron, not brass. It could be a modified window from another car. But I actually think it may be completely hand fabricated.

19. guffey

guffey

more stuff 007.jpg

more stuff 006.jpg

This was channeled in 1951 and first shown in 1958 in primer in the unfinished class (Washinton DC indoor show) then stored while Naval service, college, law school, and 2 children were on the front burner. Painted red in 1970 and had some mechanical updates in the late 90's

20. Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  21. Love it or hate it, it's been around longer than most of us.

[​IMG]

Steve

22. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great Stuff & all living history , love em all , Doug's Deuce Coupe is Killer .

Thanks Ryan .Get Strong , Feel Better Soon.

23. titus

titus

i love survivors, my buddies 5 window started it all for me, then i got my 4 door, someday ill find a killer survivor!

JEFF

Attached Files:

24. like some have said....glad your on the mend.....and....thanks for the post...

25. yngrodder

yngrodder

26. jonnycola

jonnycola

Here's mine....
    1962:
    [​IMG]

2010:
    [​IMG]

still pulling tail almost 50 years later...

27. S.F.

S.F.

Mine does that too...:cool:

28. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Great Threads All! The East Coast style isn't for everyone, but, sure looks like there may be "more" East Coast survivors out there hiding from these finds! Oh, and get well soon, Boss!

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok if I add the Danbury, Ct. Modifiers "Alley Oop" Lyndwood rail to the list?

Attached Files:

30. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Jonny, your my hero.