Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for pics of Black Cherry Pearl or Candy paint jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

2. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Just use a black pearl base then and top it with wild cherry

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

This guy knows paint!

Whenever doing custom paint, please do some test patterns first!
    I did a Mustang in a version of black cherry....mixed black bascoat 1/2 and 1/2 with HOK black pearl. Then 4 coats of Candy red over it. It looked black whenever the sun was not out, but came alive in sunlight, or bright streetlights. I thought it was a bit too dark for my liking, but the customer loved it.
    Experiment with it. Try it over regular Black Pearl. Or Galaxy Gray, or a mix of the two to get the "darkness" right for you.
    Try different colors of red over your base, as well. Regular red would be my first choice, but using wild cherry would give you a hint of purple in the color. Brandywine or burgundy will give your red a slightly different hue.
    If you get the darkness you want, but desire a bit more "sparkle", add a tiny bit of micro flake into the first coat or 2 of candy and bury it with 2 more coats. It will give a subtle sparkle to the paint.
    If that's too much sparkle, add some of your black pearl to your first couple candy coats..not more than about 5% of paint volume. Pearl is a more subtle sparkle than flake.
    Sometimes before I pick a color, I might paint a dozen old thinner cans to get the color and effect right!

4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

5. They also had a black cherry on the special 95th anniversary models, so '98. Sorry, no photo, but Louie S. just bought a Snap On tool box that was a Harley special edition painted that color and it fits right in with all his black cabinets. It's already loaded with tools and secured in place so I can't get the paint code off the back.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. Cathy Elgin

Cathy Elgin

iI am looking to paint my 1941 chevrolet sedan and I would like to know what the paint you used on this is this paint is what I am looking for cant fine what I need around here will have to order need to know if you can give me the colors and how it was painted. Please call my husband and talk with him about this. we want it done before sept. for rod show in tenn. phone 864-980-0060 or e-mail [email protected]

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^^^^^ one long winded sentence right there^^^^^^

8. 'Mo

'Mo

The ex-Harold Olsen Chevy is quite famous. Maybe you can find info on its paint.

[​IMG]

9. loudnfast

loudnfast
    from bc

Anybody know who own this or can tell me how they got this color .Im wanting a very black with a tiny hint of red in direct light without looking purple.

10. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking for this color as well. Anybody?

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My '57 is GM 1985-86 Black Cherry pearlescent mist.
    Paint code 99, still gets second looks and compliments 28 years after we painted it!
    KK

12. Koz

Koz

Built and shot here, (Koz Hot Rod Fabrication), for a client. Black Cherry Pearl over gold base. Looks way more burgundy. The pic shows too much "purple". My understanding is the owner never had it rubbed out. Shame!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DrumTice

DrumTice

Why not lay a black basecoat and add black cherry pearl in clear?

14. Fourdy

Fourdy

Body and fender ridges are Black Cherry Pearl. Fenders and splash aprons are Black Cherry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fourdy

15. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

this ones got a little more black added in it.

Attached Files:

16. aircoup

aircoup

man thats sweeet:D