Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Ford chop process pix.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAUCHO, Nov 28, 2009.

1. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I've had a lot of guys asking about the chop on my 41, so I thought I'd post some pix of the process......I DIDN'T CHOP IT MYSELF......My buddys Laurie Peterson and his brother Geoff of "Canada Customs and Hot Rods" chopped it for me.....I just don't have the skills, and these guys are custom car champions......

BEFORE pic.......

[​IMG]

Now it begins.......sorry for the dark pix, but you get the idea......

[​IMG]

The "B" pillar gets slanted......

[​IMG]

The black sections above and below the rear window are sections of the original roof from Laurie's custom 54 Buick.....they just had the right angles for the job.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filling in the "C" pillar with sheet metal formed on the english wheel.......

[​IMG]

Filling and finishing the slanted "B" pillar, and rounding the corner of the quarter window.....

[​IMG]

She's shaping up pretty good now.....

[​IMG]

Working on the drip rail........eventually, the drip rail will be changed so it doesn't hug the quarter window so much, but we didn't decide on that till later......It will get done before the next paint job.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolled outside for a look.....It's tough to see what you're doing in a little garage......You can't really stand back far enough to get a real image.....

[​IMG]

One thing I don't have pics on is......The windshield was a little to high compared to the side windows, so Laurie took 2" out of the "A" pillars, made a cut across the roof about 3" above the windshield, moved it all down to join the gap in the "A" pillars.....this left a 2" gap across the roof above the windshield that had to be filled.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we are left to right....Laurie, me, and Geoff.....

[​IMG]

Here's the car as it sits today.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again Laurie and Geoff.....I feel like a greasy MO FO lookin' through that mail slot !.....

Rocket1953 likes this.
  2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx a lot for posting the build pics!!! I love this stuff!!

I have 1 question, are the panels overlapped? Im not asking in a bad way at all, Im just curious to see how some people go about welding the panels.

What a beautiful car man!!! I've always loved it!!!

Ian

3. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks for the kind words......It's all butt welded.....

4. lorodz

lorodz

what a fukin job man perfect stance ...looks like it just rolled out of the 50's

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Even better!!! See i've never used this clamp system and it seemed to me that when using these you have to lap weld. I need to get some of these and try them!!

One of my favorite fords!!!!:)

6. daliant

daliant

Nice shifter!

7. bonesy

bonesy

I've always liked your chop. Looks great, thanks for the peak under the tent.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think that may be the nicest '41 I've ever seen

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats sweet! looks like a real tough top to chop and get right, and they succeded!

10. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Thanks for posting the pics of your '41, these coupe's just beg to be chopped. I also noticed that your side stainless trim holes were filled, looks so much better with the mouldings.
    I really like seeing your car or any other '41's that are out there, especially business coupes. So anyone out there please post pic's of your '41 chopped coupe's.
    Mine was chopped some time ago and I don't have any history on it. It was hammer welded and leaded, and came from Southern California?

Attached Files:

Rocket1953 likes this.
  11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

absolutley bad assed my friend!!

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

13. elrobo818

elrobo818

14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

thanks for posting that up.....

15. dammit man! thats sweeeeeet!!:D

16. AWESOME...Ive always loved that car...great to see how you guys did it !!

Killer stuff !

Rat

17. grease and ink garage

grease and ink garage

thanx for the pics !!
    and as we say in holland , vette shizzle !!! :D

18. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

That is really cool, thanks for the update and pic's

19. I've always likes that roof line. I had my 48 business coupe rear window laid down then changed my mind. cut it apart and stood it up and forward. still have mixed emotions about it.

20. wild willey

wild willey

FREAKIN SEXY !!!!!! Beautiful kraftsman ship!!!!! Way KOOLSVILLE!!!! You got skillz man!!! SKILLZ!!!!

21. Nice chop, looks like its supposed to now!

I think the clamp system is called CLYCO's originally intended to avionics fuselage build system, good stuff for sure! I've used it for some rust repair on my Dodge, look for 'em on ebay.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That has been one of my favorite chopped coupes with that body style since I first saw a photo of it. Too many guys miss the mark on the rear quarter window and that one is right on the money.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

23. normski53

normski53
    from texas

Nice Looking 41, I would like to ask if you could send me info on where to cut and how much to cut out of the A-post and the cowl. The rest of it I can see in the pictures and should be able to do the job. My email is [email protected]. We are looking forward to chopping a 41 They are way cool. Thank

24. Timothy Steele

Timothy Steele
    from Santa Ana

that is a beautiful ride, I bought a 41 on ebayout of Oregon and I was so disappointed . everything was rusted ,bad roof chop ,and tilt front end .I've looked for another but can't find a nice one like I want .So I'm starting from scratch ,I love your ride Man I'm shootin for a ride that has the Badass attitude your ride's got

25. hershambob

hershambob

nornski this thread is 2 yrs old i would pm the poster

Rocket1953 likes this.
  26. Lono

Lono

I've never forgotten how beautiful your coupe is Brian.
    Any time I see a chopped 40's Ford I automatically compare it to yours and they dont measure up. I think you nailed it.

27. donsclassiccars

donsclassiccars
    from oklahoma

Great chop, getting ready too do mine and was looking for pics of one done, thanks for posting. How much did you take out?