Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Odd Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 28, 2008.

1. burbanite

burbanite

Yep, that in itself is enough to tell you that there was some serious innovating going on at the time. Not that torsion bars themselves were "high tech" particularly but the use of them in this instance is maybe indicative of something else. As was mentioned, this was a test vehicle, meant to prove theories and perhaps this was more of a "packaging" item to improve the aero aspects of a streamliner.

2. autobilly

autobilly

Interesting "truck", fantastic concept. I've never really given much thought to the cars that came before the streamliner on the developemental path for K&L. Kool angle!

3. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

Thats the first thing I noticed. Always wanted to build a rear (mid) engined vehicle, but that darn suspension thing always shys me away. . . for now. The torque tube deal IS genius. Damn.

Did anybody else notice how "traditional" it is to use a con rod for the steering column mount on the dash? Neat.

4. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Makes me Proud to be from Denver.

5. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Bruthas,
    I have a video tape of Bill Kenz as a guest speaker at a Early Ford V8 club meet a few months before his passing. The lecture is fascinating as Ol' Bill talks of testing the Streamliner on I-25 and the '32 that was the test bed for the engines for the Streamliner too. But what really is neat, is when he speaks of a certain speed equipment manufacturer visiting and going for a ride in the freshly built Odd Rod.
    Did they take it out to Lawry field? Centennial Field? Nah. Bill took this person for a ride around downtown Denver and showed him what two flatties hooked up could do.
    I remember visiting the shop of wonders on Delaware. The old brick building and wondering what it was like in the days when horsepower was produced by minds and not just a bolt on.

Nicks Hot Rod Garage likes this.
  6. so is this pretty much just a direct drive rod? No transmission, just an "in and out" box?

It looks like one flatty connected to another with a driveshaft and then the rear hooked directly? to the rearend.

Is that right?

7. twistedplastic

twistedplastic
    from Michigan

Well,
    I am a big car NUT. I am into anything from the '40's & '50's. But my biggist hobby is reproducing cover cars into 1/25 scale. And I have been in the model car seen for about 30 years. And I like to collect old car magazines.
    I was looking over this site. And seen the talk about what the best Hot Rod cover was the all time best. Well, I like them all. And I seen that someone posted the cover of the July 1949 issue. I have this issue. But I am very mad that I can't read about the ( Denver's Odd Rod truck. I think is the center fold page. As mine is missing. Would anyone have a copy they can post. Big enough for me to reed it.
    And I know I will like this group.
    Thanks
    Dan.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nicks Hot Rod Garage likes this.
  9. twistedplastic

twistedplastic
    from Michigan

Hey, Jimmy B.
    Thank You very much. This will help me very much.

10. The recreation is finally under way at Nicks Hot Rod Garage in Englewood, CO.
    The Build Thread is here...

IMG_0304.JPG

Countn'Carbs, Nobey and Jimmy B like this.