Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Odd Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Hmmm. Is that pushing or pulling??? Way different!!>>>>.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty amazing vehicle. The complexity of linkages and design always thrill me more than impressive electronics. (And I like electronics).

I'd love to see more of this ride!

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I've always thought the odd rod was impressively engineered. It's engines are at opposite ends of the vehicle!! He should have chopped the top though, hehe...:D I've never seen the Rex B. drawing of it before, cool! For more info on Kenz, the odd rod, and the streamliner, check out TRJ 37.

5. i read about this in the rodders journal i think
    what a cool car and a true hot rodder
    tk

6. Assdragger

Assdragger

I keep that rag on the wall in my Hot Rod theater. I bought that one back in the 80s at a flea market along with some other very early Hot Rods.

Attached Files:

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Kenz and Leslie! What a pair of innovaors. Thanks for the memories, Ryan.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, but... this car was built entirely by Kenz.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It amazes me that these guys were doing great things like this even 50 years ago and just advancing Hot Rodding as a whole. Then there is me who is sitting around with my thumb up my ass because I am a bit nervous to just get out there and start build my frame. Definitely is inspiring and is just the motivation I need. Thanks Boss.

11. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I have always been amazed by this truck. The concept o running twin mills has always fascinated me.

12. Pscott

Pscott

Torsion bar rear is neat. Getting coolant in & out of 2 engines was no mean chore either. It took a brave soul to run that up to 140!

13. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

ODD RODS !

Thinking outside the brick.

14. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I live here in Denver where Kenz & Leslie were based. Their truck and streamliner have always fascinated me too.

15. stan292

stan292

Ryan/Gang -

Did you ever see a site called "Colorado Racing Memories"? It had a ton of K&L stuff - from midgets to Bonneville. Sadly, when I googled it just now, I got another site with a post from January of this year saying the CRM site was kaput. Gone suddenly, completely and apparently for good.
    I hope some of you had a chance to check it out as it was very in-depth regarding the K&L story.

Interesting to hear mention of the "reverse" cams. I had a boss several years ago who had worked for K&L way back when, and he told me about them building flatties that ran backwards. Unfortunately, we never spoke about them in detail.

I'd be interested in hearing more as to why that setup made such a notable power increase.

P.S. K&L's yellow and red #777 streamliner remains the quintessential symbol of early-days Bonneville action - and a classic icon of hot rodding in general - in my mind.

16. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I have a snapshot of the truck at Bonneville,found it at a thrift store.

And,I'll let out a secret.... the truck is being recreated here in Denver.

17. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

I'm not sure they make more power.
    But cars that run oval tracks, could benefit from forces of a engine running "opposit".
    When I rev (Ha ha) my old model A it wants to tip to the right side.
    Running a sprint car, i'd like it to do otherwise.

Smokey Yunick did the same trick.

Sorry my bad english I'm Danish :)
    Niels

18. Ok the 2 engine thing was a bit of a Mad-Scientist deal but perfecting it to run over 140-mph in that truck was brilliant!! Then the Streamliner leaves a person speechless>>>>.

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

Interesting read.Does having two Flatheads double the chance of overheating:)?

20. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

21. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Very cool! I assume it's long gone if someone's recreating it right? I wonder when the first twin mill car was built? Seems like it keeps popping up from time to time. I still remember back in like 1987 Road & Track did it with a CRX so the idea never seems to die.

22. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I was talking to someone at Bonneville last week that was building a replica of that car and was going to bring it to the salt next year. I can't remember who I was talking to though. If I remember, I'll let you know.

23. I was thinking that if those engines had more carbs he could get more speed out of it, but then I thought that it was probably a bear to sync 2 carbs instead of 4 or 6!

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

"Odd Rod", now I like that. To me, hot rodding is more interesting when people are pushing boundaries and trying new things instead of simply trying to make the best of the best of the same old thing and copying what has already been done 1000 times already. Creatively, that's where it is at man!

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Really? How cool is that!?

The Oddrod is one of my favorite dry lakes racecars.....because it doesn't look like a "racecar"......:D

26. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

that is really cool, pure genius

27. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ryan, of course you are right. I meant it in the terms of two guys getting together to hash out a race car. There always seems to be one that has more input than the other, whether it be in terms of money or innovativeness, but one couldn't do it without the other. Whatever may be the case, we will always remember both of them together - just the way it should be.

28. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

brilliant. that's all I got.

29. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

anyone else notice the all ford parts independent rear on that truck!!!!! two torque tube flanges welded onto the side of the bells using the torque tubes as axle tubes! BRILLIANT! makes for a swing arm suspension!

30. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

That is some beautiful 40's era engineering! Wonder if the radiator kept both Flatheads cool. Especially the one in the rear.