Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MILESTONE CUSTOM CARS: Louie Bettancourt 49 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Rikster

Rikster

This first gold green edition of the Bettancourt Mercury is seldom seen in magazines. Three photo’s of it appeared in the ’52 Restyle your Car, the April ‘53 Issue of Popular Mechanics and it was featured on the cover and inside of the ’52 Motorama catalog.
    Becuase it was never in the magazines a lot it appears not many people know to much about this version of the car. In issue 29 Of the Rodders Journal Pat Ganahl wrote in the Sam Barris mercury story that "the Bettancourt Mercury went to Barris to get final finish an paint (and crest, of coars), so Sam Barris Merc was finished first." Well I believe that Ayala did finish the Bettancourt mercury. The credit in the "'52 Restyle your car" was given to Gil Ayala. (Gil Ayala built this fine example of a Simple-Conservative custom Merc).

[​IMG]

Extreme clean appearance. The fadeaway line looks extremely well in combination with teh chopped top, angled b pillars and rounded hood and trunk corners

[​IMG]

The ayala brothers performed all of the customizing on the first edition of the Bettancourt Mercury. The ayala’s where together with Sam Barris and Jerry Quesnel the first to chop a 49 Mercury. Ayala chopped the top and created a very smooth flowing roofline and just as Sam did on his personal ’49 Mercury Ayala also created full fade away fenders. Not sure if these two builders had contact with each other or had seen each others work, or that is was just a case of two genious craftsman with the same idear at the same time.

All corners including both on top and botom of the trunk where rounded with a larger that "ussual" radious

[​IMG]

Ayala createdvery craceful taillights out of round rod and sheet metals and hand formed the lenses from red Lucite.

[​IMG]

A second grille shell was turned upside down and molded in the front gravel pan to create an extremely smooth and rounded opening in which a ’51 Kaiser floating grille bar was mounted. The hood corners where rounded with a large radious on the front which flows perfectly with the frenshed headlight and at the back of the hood the ends where cut of with a large radius and the remaining piece was molded to the cowl and front fender. The flowing line gently sweeps into the chopped windshield frame. The trunk corners where rounded in a similar fashion.
    What is really exceptional on this version of the car is that it has nearly no chrome accents on the outside. No side trim and even the side window trim was removed. Only a few accents chrome accents where added, the grille bar and a set of 112 appleton spots. The bumpers where stock 49 Mercury items. Most likely the interior could not be redone in time for a show and remained all stock. The body was painted a “Scintillating green gold” and the gauges clusters on the dash where chrome plated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2010
    296ardun likes this.
  2. Rikster

Rikster

The Barris Version of the Bettancourt Mercury.

In late ’52 or early 53 Louie wanted to update his custom Merc and brought it to Barris. The second version of the Bettancourt Merc is one of the few second version that is as good and perhaps even in improvement over the original version. Ussual second versions get overdone and are just to get ahead of the changes in the scene, but not so with the Barris version of the Bettancourt Mercury. The modifications done by Barris to Ayala’s original custom work where subtile, stylish and with respect for its original look. The original car had the feel of a 40’s custom with its all shaved body. Barris must have realized a bit more sparkling and lines/directions (side trim) where needed to make this custom flow just a bit better.

Below the Bettancourt Merc can be seen at the Barris shop.The body has been sanded and prepped and looks to be ready for it new paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Al the wonderful Ayala bodywork was left alone, that was perfect already. A ’49 Cadillac side trim was added to the side, mounted lower than the stock Merc position and actually covering the top of the wheel opening, thus visual lowering the car.

[​IMG]

A extremely beautifull grille was fabricated (arguably one of Barris best grilles) using several ‘52 grilles for the horizontal part and 51 Ford grille end tips. The teeth inside came from a 52 Mercury.

[​IMG]

The stock Mercury bumpers where replaced with ’53 Pontiac Deluxe items with those wonderful end extentions. The rear bumper was made from a narrowed and recontoured front bumper. Both front and rear where fitted with ’52 Kaiser guards. And at the rear the exhaust was routed thru the guard bullets. The rear end extentions of the bumper work absolutely wonderful with the frenched headlights Ayala did a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Caddy Sombrero hubcaps where replaced with ’53 Studebaker units with fake knockoff’s and fitted with Barris crest. (imho the one thing that was overdone on this version). Two Barris Crest where also added to the frontfenders just in front of the doors. Barris painted the Bettancourt Merc in a mile deep Tingia maroon. Glen Houser of the Carson Top Shop created a fantastic interior using an egg-white tuck & roll with wine colored fabric which was butten tuffed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In '56 Bettancourt sold his merc to Johnny Zupan and he had Barris made a third version of it. This time however all Barris did was just to much and I lost intrest in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much later the car was owned by Dean Jeffries and the car had undergone some more ugly modifications including quad headlights!!! The custom was stoledn of his property and never seen again. Although some believe it still ecits somewhere, nobody seams to really know where. I hope however thatone day this car will become in the hands of a tru custom car enthusiast and be turned into its first or second edition. This one is a true milestone custom that should be around for us to enjoy.

Mild Mitch likes this.
  3. Excellent compilation as usual Rikster

Thanks

4. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Another great post by teh Rikster!

I love those Mercs with the fenderline straightened on the door.

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your timing is perfect. I was reading the article in RJ (again) about Sam's Merc. When they mentioned the Bettancourt's Merc. I started digg'n through my mags to find pictures so I could compare the two.

I really appreciate your post.

Happy Trails,

Mick

6. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Keep 'em coming, Rik ! Your the main man here !

Best

7. KoppaK

KoppaK

I just love the rear lamps on this car, great post as always

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

WOW. That second version is really doing it for me, at all angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for sharing, Rikster. :)

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I wonder why the first version had a 50 Merc rear bumperguard on it and not a 49.

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That is my all time favorite Merc...Nice job as usual holmes!

11. Rikster

Rikster

00MACK, Perhaps those guards where accessorie items in late 49? Sam Barris and Jerry Quesnel used them on thiere 49 Merc's as well. Also the rear window on the Bettancourt Merc is a one piece unit. so most likely the car was a late '49 Merc when thie where outfitted with single piece rear windows. Or perhaps Ayala replaced them with a '50 rear window. (Jerry Quesnel's merc aslo had the singel piece rear window while Sam Barris still used the three piece early '49 Merc rear window glass)

12. old beet

old beet

Thanks for sharing! Good pics...........OLDBEET

13. Hindsight is 20/20, but how many here think that the Kaiser bumperguard on the front end is unneccessary and doesn't fit the lines? And why were 2 holes left in the center of the bumper?

14. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Bumperguards usually adds a more heavy and luxury appearance. The
    crossbar and style is probably to follow up the rear version. I guess the two
    holes are for the license plate bracket...

15. Thanks!! That's just what I needed to get my day started. I lik ethe first Barris incarnation the best . The grille is fantastic and the side spears add some flash to the rather sanitay horizontal lines.

As I was reading I was wondering if you were going to reference that R&C article asit has stuck with me all these years. The Bettancourt Merc is one of my all time favorites.

Has it ever been found?

16. Rikster

Rikster

Well I think best would have been to flatten the Kaiser guard so it would be totally horizontal when viewed from the front. And perhaps also lowered a bit so it would not interfere with the wonderful grille. I agree with JB and the guard add to the luxery feel of the car. And my guess for teh holes left int hte bumper are also for license plate mounting.

17. Rikster

Rikster

Well one reason why this all works together so extremely well is because everything is molded so georgious. The beltline trim is removed and the crease there was completely molded and rounded with a similar roundness as the fade away fender line, or any other parts that where molded. The top door corner was rounded with excactly the perfect radious to folow the inside radious perfectly. Also it appears to me that Ayala actually removed some material from the thickness of the door portion of the B-pillar which is slightly wider on a stock mercury (wider at the B-pillar section than at the top) If this is sthe case it must have been an enormous amount of work... (Wolf Christiansson made me aware of this).
    So, to me the Bettancourt Merc has it all simply becasue it was very well designed. all molded elements where thought over and not just molded to make it look differnt. Same for the rounded corners, they where designed to make the car look almost liquid.

18. Yup, if it was flattened and shortened like the rear one, It would mimic the shape of the top grill lip and look right.

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The Louis Bettancourt Mercury-the most streamlined Merc ever like Pat Ganahl once put it so right.Great car and great post !!! I knew this Milestone Custom would be next on your list since we lately talked about this Merc,I even could see your eyes gleaming in that certain e-mail.As we can see from Rikster's great pics the Ayala's were fully responsible for the "basic"- design of this Merc.Yes,everything's gently molded and it's one of those cars on which it really works.This Merc and Keith Weesner's Shoebox Ford make me appreciate the shaved driprail,and yes,the shaved belt line trim adds to the visual impact too,so does the fadeaway.Great car ! I also think the second version rules.Just remove those spinners,crests,maybe remove the front Kaiser bumperguard and make the quarter windows a little bit more pointy.It looks "too round" to me.Just my humble opinion.Other than that it's one hell of a car and it could be the best Merc ever.Here's one pic of "Luigi" standing next to the masterpiece.I know,I said it before but I like those pics on which somebody stands next to the car.This makes you appreciate the proportions.The pic is huge but I thought this way it will hit you like a hammer...

[​IMG]

As a side note,the top was chopped 3".The front was lowered 4" and the rear 6".This information is supplied without liability as GeeBee mixed up some things in his otherwise great books ! For any tall guys out there who might be interested in how to get back in and sit in that chopped Merc,here's what has been done to the Bettancourt Merc.Seat was lowered and top of seats also were cut down and reslanted to make more room behind the white painted '49 Merc steering wheel...

[​IMG]

The interior was done by the famous Carson Top Shop and it's too busy for me.I like interiors simple just like the outside of cars but that maybe could change if I'd see the car in person.So let's hope somebody may find the Louis Bettancourt Merc one day and bring it back to the glamorous 1953 Hollywood look...thanks Rik !!!

20. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Hey Rikster,another great post.You may want to contact Terry Cook(Lead East show)his Hamb name is "Terrydactile".He may have some more info on this great custom.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Rikster, Thanx so much for sharing the history of this kustom. Don't be afraid to "keep'm coming." I love it.

22. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a picture I found in one of the Barris Custom Techniques books. In the background a Barris employee is working on a 49-50 Mercury with slanted door posts and full fade away fenderline. I'am not 100% sure but this sure looks to be the Bettencourt Mercury in fresh paint. And the employee (could that be Sam working on the Bettencourt Merc) perhaps getting the Caddy trim to fit?

[​IMG]

And one more picture from the George Barris photo shoot from a slightly different angel than the one posted before sorry it is a bit blurry.

The placement of the Appleton 112 spotlights is a litle different than on most of the Barris customs. Or perhaps its not the way they where mounted but just the way Louie liked them best. On most other customs you cant see the botom of the spots (the glas and bulp section) but on this Merc they are positioned in such a way you can see that erea... The spots are now almost paralel to the A-pillars (15-20 degree angle?) while on most customs they are at about 45 degree angle.

[​IMG]

23. Rik,the Appletons were not installed by Barris,but were installed by Ayala through the door rather than through the A pillar as is the usual accepted method.
    The Ayala's did all their cars this way.
    Great post, keep 'em coming!
    Mick

24. Rikster

Rikster

Mick, I knew the Ayala's had mounted the appletons and not Barris... (they have the "odd" angle on the light colored car as well) But I sure did not write that above the way I should have...
    But I really had no idear that they where mounted on the doors instead of the A-pillar. Now I know I can see it clearly in the photo's. Thank you for clearing that up. And I sure can see it done to a few other Ayala built customs...

Its really evident in this picture where the drivers door has the handle on it and on the right you can see the inside of the A-pillar and clearly there is no appleton spot handle.

[​IMG]

And even better on this stripped version right before it was stolen.

[​IMG]

25. Rikster

Rikster

Wolf Christiansson just send me this scan of the Bettancourt Mercury made from the 1952-53 Dan Post Blue Book of Custom Restyling.

An unique photo of the car when it was built at the Ayala brothers. And the only photo I have ever seen of the car with no fender skirts. Giving it a completely different look. The fact that the rear wheels are different than the front (Caddy Sombrero's) indicates to me it was never intended to run without fenderskirts. But for some reason they where of the car at the photo shoot.

What we can see very clearly in this side view (in its first lime gold color) is that the Ayala Brothers had this custom extremely well proportioned and styled. Note the large radious rounds at the door at the top of the B-pillar and at the botom rear. But leaving the botom front sharp, creating instand movement. Also the rounded back end of the hood and front of the trunk can be seen here really well. Both help the top flow into the rest of the body very well.

[​IMG]

26. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

As everyone said Rikster, Great post!
    I'm always amazed how over time the Barris' have been given the credit
    for so many of the great early customs. (I'm not bashing what they have done) It seems Ayala brothers have been the ones that really gave us so many of the really great ones. (Jack Stewart's 41 and Wally Welch's Merc come to mind) Barris just added some trim, repainted them, and got the credit in the magazines since most of the work the Ayala's did was done before there was much coverage of customs in the magazines.

27. Bryan

Bryan

great thread!

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This picture also shows the "slimming" of the window frames that you discussed earlier, Rik. That's a really nice touch, and I had never noticed it until you pointed it out.

29. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i just found this thread and all i can say is WOW killer car!!!

30. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

The perfect Merc!The profile of this car is absolutely perfect!