Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '38 Parts Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a complete set of Curved Glass/Crescent Arm gauges I need to have restored.......I really wish I would have not read that last couple lines.....sigh.

The set of "Wingers" (yeah I just made a cool new term for all the hip kids that have them) are awesome! That last piece you just bought really is the pièce de résistance. And for whatever reason it's nice you got the gas because they seem to be really pricy.

3. So I am one stanless and one garnish molding short for my '38 Sedan. I'll bet someone sent you that stuff by mistake.

I can't wait to see the "new" old '38 in person. It was already pretty damned smooth and now it is going to be smooth to the second power.

Good luck on the sports car wheels. ;)

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah I seen an original set of Halibrand knock offs for a C1 Corvette and they were only 60k or something so maybe you'll luck out again and find a set for Ford on the cheap. :D

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if Pat went through those gauges,
    which I'm sure he did,
    they should perform as good as they look
    and they look great!

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Anti-climatic"? Yeah, it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
    I kept my eyes open for years for all the missing stainless side trim for my 41 Packard coupe. Then one day the local Craigslist of all places came through. A local guy set me up with a full set of stainless and a pair of nice front fenders for about 1/3 of what the stuff was worth.
    Just recently nabbed a 34 3/w roof section. Been looking for years. Missed a couple, got outbid, then all the planets lined up.

I also only collect parts that have a project build destination.
    I've always wondered how many Hot Rods could be assembled from all of our extra shed and rafter parts, not to mention "collections" of grilles, intake manifolds, etc. hanging on garage walls, but that would be another thread...

7. The coolest thing about all this? If you cross your eyes at the hunter image you posted, it's in Three-Dee!
    :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. Congrats! Can't wait to see the new/old 38

9. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Yea if you want something bad enough and never stop
    Lookin you'll eventually find it, i really wanted a 54-56 dodge
    Truck grill bar in good shape to use as a kustom grille ( not easy to find any
    Oddball mopar truck grilles that arent beat up!) took me forever
    But lo and behold i found a complete setup, bars and support Nos!
    Never been mounted mint!, never stop lookin.....

10. ahem... drivers side hood stainless ..i'd be interested in your cast offs .. oops did I say that out loud

11. Muttley

Muttley

I know exactly how you feel. I've found quite a few extremely rare parts and normally when the package arrives I get a 'yeah, whatever' feeling no matter how nice the part is.

12. I just about got my three year project done. Finally driving my 1950 dodge, and I too am getting the yeah, whatever feeling already... All of the people that ask "how happy are you?" and all that jazz gets old quick. A bit different scenario but I get it. And it's my first build! No sooner did I get the thing started, and I instantly thought of the next big project.....

13. Cool that you found the trim. I got the feeling I'll never stop hunting for 42 steel trim. A trade is in the works with a HAMBer from OK though. That should bring some good bits. Still, have you ever happened upon a zinc plated hubcap or three?

Can't wait to see it done and hear that y-block belching.

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm the same way with car and gun stuff.But I try to find a home for these things if I know I'm not going to use them.Sitting on stuff that we never intend to use and that other people want is kind of a sin.I'm glad you found your goodies,now you can rest.

15. I got my gauges from Pat too. Good stuff.
    [​IMG]

16. I'm proud to call Pat a good friend of mine. I have been to his house and he has helped me repair, lube and calibrate gauges. He is so damn knowledgeable it's insane. And one of the most generous, nice guys I have ever met. This hobby would be a little less without him.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, Pat rules... He helped me out a bunch with not only selling my gauges, but telling me what to look for and what to do with the other gauges I needed to complete the set. He absolutely rules.

18. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Sooo, what is the whole project doing ?
    Engine , etc ???

updates there ? :)

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Blown Y-Block Ford has been rumored... Past that, it's a wait and see deal...

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There was a post here on the Hamb on repairing water temp gauge with dry ice and a cheap new temp gauge, using the capillary tube.

Ago

21. What ever happened with Clarence and his hood scoop dilemma?

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fuck if I know... I haven't talked to Clarence in weeks...

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Aw, man.. I was hoping to see a shot of the car in its entire self since the rebuild began. I can't wait to see what becomes of it..

You're holding out on us, Ryan. Will it be done in time for the Revolution or is that wishful thinking? LSRU 2013, maybe?

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nawe... This is a longer term project. No deadlines.

25. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Ryan, still got that early gauge panel you had years ago?

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What?!?!?! I'll be damned. I totally remember him.

27. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

You just wanted to use the word mierda in a story and see if anyone would notice. Nice scores by the way.

28. DaveInc

DaveInc

Doug Walker is a Jewel and we are lucky to have him in our fair city.

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I took two '60s era block number speedometers over to Pat's shop, he works out of his garage, he tuned one up and converted the other to a very convincing mechanical tach.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012