Register now to get rid of these ads!

adding a.c to a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merc49, Oct 23, 2010.

1. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

i have a 49 merc with a mild flathead and want to add a/c, im still using a generator and want to keep it and the stock carb.does anyone know how to adapt an a/c compressor to the gen. bracket.pics of this done would be great.im a ironworker and making or modifying brackets is no problem just dont want to buy a compressor to find out it will or will not work.the small jap units look like they will fit just need some real advice from real people,not a/c salesmen.

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Keep the windows down.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I added A/C comp to a flathead Merc ('49-'53) I built for my '47 Ford. However I used a 12 volt alternator as the multiple electrical loads, just for the A/C alone, would stress even a 12 generator.

What I did was build a bracket that bolted on the manifold like the generator would and the a/c comp and Alt were mounted to that, with the alt to the pass side, comp to drivers side in order to take advantage of the different crank pulley diameters, using the maller sheave for the a/c, the larger dia sheave for the alt. The belt driven fan was deleted in favor of an electric puller fan.

The bracket consisted of a piece of rectangular tubing, wide side hoirizontal, on top of the manifold, a 1/2" or 5/8" plate (i don't remember which) welded to the tube and fitting to the manifold in place of the gen/fan mounts. I also added a bracket to the rear of the tube, bolted to the manifold/block with the manifold bolts, for stability.

I used universal compressor mounting plates from Vintage air to fabricate the comp & alt mounts. I had to alter the thermostat housing outlets to cant reward a bit to allow the hose to clear the comp.

If your are interested in more detail, I think I have some pics I can send......just PM me.

Ray

4. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

in last months streetrodder in the new products section, they had a bracket for this..

5. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

a little unrelated, but what model of air conditioner are you using for your flathead?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't answer for everyone Pete but I have been dragging my wife of 41 years around in hot rods and customs without AC and sometimes w/o heat since we went to the Street Rod Nationals in Tusla two years before you were born in 100 degree heat. It's time she got to be comfortable on road trips in the next rod we have. We could do it when we were in out 20's but now that we are in our 60's driving with the windows down for three or four days at a time on a cross country run wears us out.

7. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

i havent decided yet since the guys that sell them said i cant put it on that engine but a friend has an under dash unit he bought for his 69 chevelle years ago and never installed it.he will sell it to me for 150 bucks with everything i need except the compressor.and hoses.

8. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

im with you,i didnt know what a/c/was until a couple years ago and being 50 and having a heart attack at 45 the 100 degree slow rollin in a leather interior,dark gray exterior,leadsled is getting a little old and i feel ive worked long enough and hard enough to deserve to drive in comfort.after i get off work from burnin steel all day i want to be comfortable on the ride home.the guys at work cant understand why i dont drive it to work more often in the summer,until one hot day i said heres the keys take the merc to pick up lunch,he opened the door and said nah thats ok ill skip lunch today.

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello, first you'll need a alternator for the compressor. I put one on my flathead and it worked great. The flathead has good torque so when the a/c comes on you don't feel a drag on the motor..I know you can buy the bracket for the a/c someplace. You can also get a stock looking genny with the alternator inside..
    Duane..

10. aaggie

aaggie

Do yourself a favor and call Vintage Air. They will fix you up with everything you need and it will work first time out of the box. Tech support is outstanding if you ever need it.

11. RAY With

RAY With

I did a vintage air on my 52 and had to go the alternator rout and also used one offset T stat neck to clear the Alt.

Attached Files:

12. big bad john

big bad john

Hello......Went with Vintage air......they had all the stuff you need and the tect.support........Used a 12 volt gen.,but had to watch the volt meter a lot......works great....Big Bad John

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Another vote for Vintage Air good folks to deal with.

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

It seems like it was Speedway that now has the a/c/alt mount. Check with them. I have a friend who recently made his own and then mentioned that someone had began making them again.

15. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland