Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's built a teardrop trailer from scratch..??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

WOW that sure is a step up from my old pop-up starcraft!

2. synthsis

synthsis

holy shit, those rule. They'd look awesome behind a Porsche Cayenne or some other crazy looking modern car. Not quite right for behind a traditional car.

[​IMG]

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Harbor Freight frames come with a statement of Origin and their own serial numbers but you still have to apply for a title through your dmv.

The statement of origin and serial number take a lot of the pain out of it though. Makes it "not home built".

4. 97

5. jguff

jguff

I have built 4 teardrops from scratch and restored/repaired/rebuilt 5 others. The first image is my most recent homebuilt and the second image is a 1948 Modernaire which I took to Bonneville in 2009. Absolutely the best website is www.mikenchell.com It is full of ideas, plans, build journals, advice, and anything you want to know about building a teardrop. It has thousands of members and is very active.

Jerome

Attached Files:

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I made mine about 10 years ago now, I made it a little longer at 9'6" long and width is 54"
    I raided an old caravan so i have Fridge, Sink, pumped hot water heater, grill etc etc

I have a 40 gallon water tank mounted just in front of the axle although i usually travel with it empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FredDrew

FredDrew

I built a Tear Drop about a dozen years ago. It has been across the USA, coast to coast twice. If my wife doesn,t go with me, I live in it when at the NSRA Nationls usually Kalamazoo and Louisville. I also live in it on Road Tours with Jerry Dixie of Street Rodder Magazine. It does not save me any money over hotel/motel usage, because I go a heck of a lot of extra runs for the same cost.

Get it built, you will not regret it. The roof plywood I used was called bendable and I got it at Home Depot. There are two layers grained across the sheet and a laminate in between. I sealed it well and glued heavy gauge aluminum on top of it.

Fred Drew

8. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thats almost exactly how imagined building one! have any more pics of it?

i think it would be great to tow one behind my wagon when the time comes

9. Jax2A

Jax2A

Check out Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers.
    They've got a good generic plan that can be customized and links to several vintage plans.
    http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

I'm in the process of designing one myself and found this site the most useful.

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

11. My grandson's doing a carpentry apprenticeship. I'll have to see if he could build one of these as a project at his local Tech. Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread so far, as there's a lot of really good resource material.

12. Patrick46

Patrick46

Fred...sorry, but this doesn't make any sence.

It doesn't save you any money over hotels??? Where are you camping at??? :eek:

or... are you saying that because you've SAVED so much money, that you can afford to go to alot more runs!

We had a Lonely Teardrop for about 3 years and LOVED it!!
    P1010229.JPG
    Now, I'm gonna build us one to my own design.

also, to the OP...there are alot of fun teardrop groups and organizations out there. I belong to the Tearjerkers...
    http://www.tearjerkers.net/

13. unkamort

unkamort

I'v had a teardrop fanticy for some time. I'd like to spend my last years roaming the country and putting the national park system to work. One of my wild ideas was to use the altenator off the pinion gear trick to charge something like a semi truck, or deep cycle, battery while traveling and using that to power the rig at night. The only problem I see is the sleeping arrangements. I'm talkin' full leather recliner, heated, massage, beer cooler, satellite, ya know... comfort on the road. Traditionalist frown if ya will... but it sure as hell beats cookin' squirrel out under the over pass.

14. I know Fred and he does a lot of runs, he can do 15 days for the price of 5 when he takes his Tear-Drop.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere, i will dig them out. I didn't want a trad teardrop as i'm 6ft so needed a bit more length so i went with a more swoopy design, also wanted it low to look good so i channeled the body over the frame.
    The one thing i like about my one is the tall 30" tyres, some teardrops seem to have very small wheels.

I just remembered my buildup pics are here http://rides.webshots.com/album/557865367bEPjbZ

16. Patrick46

Patrick46

Hey Langy...
    that's a cute little build you've got there. Looks like a really nice job!

My only question is why didn't you put fenders on it?
    I'd sure hate to hear that a rock tore all that nice work up.
    Is it a highboy?? I could understand if your pulling it with a highboyed hot-rod...but you don't seem to be. (or is there one in the works???) :rolleyes:

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Most of my cars are fenderless, I was towing it with my F100

[​IMG]

until my roadster was done.

[​IMG]

18. teardropcamper

teardropcamper
    from Phoenix

I have built 5 of them already and is a great way of traveling with your rod. You can check out some pictures on my web site.

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

heres one i did a few months ago...i got a lil carried away!!!! lol...and NO! no one is staying in it at the rust revival..so dont ask!!!!LOL

[​IMG]

20. trnkey26t

trnkey26t

You can also get plans from Speedway Motors. My Buddie builds them and has found sources for the trim , molding hatch hinge, axel, windows etc. The guy is located in Auburn CA and ships all over. If you do a search you can find seveal Teardrop clubs on the internet and some vendors. The one he built me is an 8'X4' annd I pull it behind my '26 T Touring.

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

yep i think that he's saying that he saves so much on motels that he goes to more shows .met fred at bowling green last year,june when it was about a 103 in the shade. he goes every where in that thing. its cool as hell.he's a hell of a nice guy also. he is a road warrior

22. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

4'x8' seems to be the perfect size. i cant wait to build one, im just not ready now

its so fitting since i have a wagon. just feels like home to me lol

23. Patrick46

Patrick46

I must add to this here...

our's was a 5' x 9.5', and from EVERYONE we met that also had teardrops, that extra 1' width & length makes all the difference in the world after a few trips! Our next one WILL be a 5' x 10'...but I'm 6'1", and I like that extra room to stretch out.
    (food for thought.)

24. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thanks patrick46!!!

25. b-bop

b-bop

Best site on the web by far is http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/
    Most of the folk there are as helpful as this site. And if you are looking for plans to build, they have a free set, download and go.
    http://www.mikenchell.com/images/GenericBenroyPlans.pdf
    Just like hotrods, you can take the basic plan and modify to your taste. Mine is 5 foot wide, cause I thought the standard 4 foot would be a little cozy for 2. There is nothing better than hitting to open road, no hotel rooms to book, stop where ever and when ever I like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  26. chopt49

chopt49

Mine, built by hand in my garage - took me 9 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. atch

atch

is that a basement out in the middle?

28. I was toying with building a small trailer for my truck. I might be sold after seeing this:D

29. wright

wright
    from illinois

I just got mine street legal this weekend and took it for maiden voyage. Started the project in Aug. of last year. I still have things to finish on it but it is getting close. I am taking it on the power tour this friday. I will be doing the first three legs of the tour.

Attached Files:

30. I have one of the original PM magazines from the early 50s that had the article in it. I was getting ready to sell them here, but as I was looking through them, I thought that they were too cool to sell. Even better than many car rags.