Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Underrated Orphans from the 1930s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"the new Nash, the car everybody likes" that's got to be the best advertising blurb I've ever heard. Bet we'll never hear that one agian

to me there are very few cars form the 30's that are not extremely cool looking.

I have to disagree with your thoughts on the parrallel leaves on the early Mopar. seems every 30's HOT ROD I see that came with parralllel leaves has a Ford buggy spring up front. this change always bugs me.

3. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

I bought a 39 Nash LaFayette, my stepson wanted it so bad he begged so much for it I had to sell it to him. Nice lines and I love the grill and peaked trunk and bumper.

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've always been a fan of a '37 Dodge ever since seeing Neal Emory's....

[​IMG]

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

This "orphan" gives me wood.

Rich

Attached Files:

7. sololobo

sololobo

Yikes, that beautiful black example car, "that everybody likes" may be my all time dream car. Sleek and very handsome. Thanx for all the examples ~sololobo~

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I only say to ditch the twin leaf frontend *if* your going fenderless. The ugly frame horns stick out about a foot infront of the radiator if you don't... Not pretty.
    PB's look way nicer full fendered anyway.

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Interesting thread, with very good choices so far.
    I would add that, in addition to the Hollywood, Graham made some other cool-ass cars in the 30s.
    Besides the Airstream, DeSoto had some other good ones, too.
    Maybe their rarity precludes them from being likely rod material?

Attached Files:

10. GaryC.

GaryC.

I'm glad this post came up. I was at the Fall 2012 Hershey AACA meet and found this Nash in the car show on Saturday. I didn't get to talk to the owner but heard him say that this was one of seven. I thought it was interesting how later customs took on a lot of its styling cues.

Attached Files:

11. Your choices are fine and the candidates are many.

Not only because I own one of the following "orphan" cars but because every street rodder that sees this or one like it starts drooling and I have to keep the detail spray handy.

I seriously think you have overlooked all of the 1934, 1935 (same body these years) Hudsons and Terraplanes.

Submitting three pics of my '34 Terraplane convertible coupe. It is just finishing receiving a new convertible top so not shown in these pics.

Attached Files:

12. Agreed. The parallel leaf setup was popular on early hot rods & lakes modifieds;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 2nd on my bucket list is a 34-37 Hupmobile coupe. The short top is a bit much for some guys but I love 'em.

Attached Files:

14. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

It fun when you show up in a orphan car and people don't know what it is and will not ask just keep looking for a name on the car.

Attached Files:

15. catdad49

catdad49

Bomber, all of these vehicles are great choices and I'm sure there are many more that are rarely seen, especially now-a-days. Back in the 70's I subscribed to "Classic Cars" magazine even though I was not really interested in restorations as such. It presented interesting and some little known makes for both their style and history. Being the artistic soul that am, I imagined them with big v-8's, lowered or raked with big and littles and otherwise 'tastefully' modified. I don't believe they included many Fords, Chevys, etc. unless they were of the rare variety. Think outside the box, it could be both fun and interesting. Cat

16. autobilly

autobilly

I'm with ya there JJ!

17. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I'm a big fan of the American Underslung personally. Beautiful cars, notice the leaf springs on top of the frame.

Attached Files:

18. Squablow

Squablow

Cue the guy who chimes in to say that none of the above examples "is suitable for a traditional hot rod"

Really though, great examples, and that Nash is a work of art. It looks like it could have been penned by one of the great period customizers we all adore so much, and it's factory bone stock.

I always thought the '39 Buick coupe was a particularly pretty car as well, and also under-appreciated.

19. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I submit the 810 & 812 Cords from '36 & '37 as my choice.

20. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Yup, dig these 'factory customs'. Word is, those that did not sell were returned to stock.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2007/03/01/hmn_feature14.html

21. slim53

slim53

I've posted this before, a '36 Pontiac and it's waterfall grill is highly underrated.

Attached Files:

22. I always liked '39 Dodge Coupes.

Attached Files:

23. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

G.M. had some great looking (now orphan) cars in the mid to late thirties. Big and heavy, but beautiful, was the LaSalle.

Attached Files:

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

As much as I like the 39 and 40 Fords I think I could be very happy with a 39 or 40 Nash.

25. jroberts

jroberts

I love the five original choices, but there are so many great looking cars in the '30's, especially the latter part of the decade, that it is really hard to be satisfied with only five.

I really like the bat wing rear window of the '37 Studebaker coupe;

[​IMG]

26. shooter6

shooter6

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

My 37 Nash. Very Art Deco and unique.

[​IMG]

28. Weasel

Weasel

There is a lot more room than it appears. Much more than in a 1937-42 Willys coupe. Here again is my 'poor man's Talbot Lago' in all it's stock glory. Teardrop shapes abound and this significantly preceded any other coupes of the 1930's with this Gestalt, including the Talbot Lago. This was Raymond Loewy's first full car design....;)

[​IMG]

29. Weasel

Weasel

Elliptical headlights are stock....

[​IMG]

30. expavr

expavr

An "orphaned" 33 Chrysler Imperial followed me home and after an all Mopar makeover was "adopted." Funny how these orphans have a way of getting your attention.

Attached Files: