Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Take a look closer at that '58 and notice how it is NOT rusty!

2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Exactly! It has just a couple dents though......I'd say just about all the stuff found here in Az isn't going to have any rust (unless it's been rolled down a hill and looks like that thing does) you could save it! Most of the wrecks that were up here out in the cinders have been hauled off by scrappers or the forest service.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

At one time it was someones pride and joy excited when driving off the dealers lot and now here it sits.

4. henry29

henry29

/\/\/\/\/\/\
    That's a 47 Chevy and I really need that grille,

[​IMG]

5. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Chip (louvers) I'm the guy that just asked about the louvers in the Pontiac trunk lid. I'm Mark, the guy in the pic with Steve and part of the group. If you get a chance you should come with us. You will not regret it. We have a good time and we find unbelievable stuff. We're always looking for people to come along, so you'd be most welcome. Mark L

6. Tomorrow I am driving my '47 to sedona for work. Maybe on the way home I will take a few back roads if its still light out.

7. Bring your camera and let us know if you see something worthwhile to visit.

Some more pics, old and current-

This is hwy 60 between Globe and Superior before it was paved. This photo appears to be headed towards Superior just before the tunnel, maybe a mile or so. I'd guess mid 30s

[​IMG]

This is an abandoned hiway bridge on hwy 60 I discovered last summer on my own, then visited it again with friends last Dec. This is extremely pretty country.

[​IMG]

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Take 89 back down home though Wickenburg. If you have never done it, or especially never driven it in an antique car it is something that you need to do.

HAPPY STATEHOOD DAY EVERYBODY!!!! Looks like the "baby state" is finally all grown up. I love you Arizona!

9. I plan to take i17 to get there. I need to drop off some plans to the city by 5. On the way home I will check out 89. Since seeing this thread a couple days ago I have thought about going through there. Should be fun. I just hope the truck is up for it.

10. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

and the worst kind is the rattleheadedcoppermoccasin...
    Im with you "I Hate Snakes"

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pussy! Ask endlessearth, he gets them in his kitchen every now and then!

12. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

1940 Chevy Sedan

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Really cool thread. If you guys ever run across any old signs (gas/oil, soda, anything auto-related) let me know! I'll buy that stuff, even if it's junky. Never know, one sign may pay for your whole trip! I like gas pumps too, but they're harder to get since they're so heavy.

14. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

The Desert Bar is also known as "Nelle E Saloon" and is located just outside of Parker Arizona. You take a dirt road 8 miles in to get there. Here is there link www.thedesertbar.com
    Pretty freaking cool place that he built all out of steel.

15. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

bullet... that would make an extreme truck rod :D

[​IMG]

16. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

close but no cigar
    about 25 miles short of the Arizona border Gallup New Mexico in a ravine
    last time we were there all the cars were removed

[​IMG]

17. I chickened out at anthem way and i17. Stock running gear in a 1947 chevy pickup probally was never designed to go on the freeway ever. And besides this was the first time I ever filled the tank up completly and the gasket between the filler neck and tank is gone. $3.50 /gallon is an expensive way to find that out.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

WOWEEEEE!!! I live in Vail, east-o-tucson, and am constantly shocked with whats out here and what the Wisconsin guys see as good. I went "glassin" with a friend whos a big hunter. I did my own glassin, as I was searching iron. Found some decent stuff. If youre going around here PM me and I'll go. I have a 150 Honda and a car trailer. Find em and drag em out.

19. draggler

draggler

I could get lost in all that exploring,,!
    Thanks for sharing all the pics and stories,been glued to it
    for a spell now!
    Seeing all the wash out cars in the ravines made me keep thinking that there must have been alot of diehards at chicken!
    Haha.

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Happy Birthday to probably the coolest state ever. The big CENTENNIAL.

21. Spooky

Spooky

Man!! What a great thread!!

22. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Huh looks like a cool place! Have to cruise out to some of these places when I get my 55' done

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absatively!!! Been down at the capitol celebrating all day! 'Course, I also wished some gals walking through the neighbprhood this morning "Happy statehood day" and they walked a bit faster...

24. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Fifteen years ago there was a guy just north of Phoenix that had some 50s and 60s Caddys for sale. It was an undeveloped exit on I-17. Anyone remember this? It still crosses my mind from time to time.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Doesn't sound familar. And unfortunately, anything that was undeveloped north of Phoenix is miles of houses that all look the same now...

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I remember a guy on Hatcher and about 15th ave. that had a yard full of 50's-60s Cads....many, many moons ago.

Orrrrrr, maybe you're thinking Desert Valley? 50's and 60's everything....

27. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I am originally from Albuquerque and have traveled the west to east ride a bunch of times, and here are a few photos off of I10 in New Mexico.

28. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

pics

Attached Files:

29. Here is a 70-3 Camaro (I was able to read the vin and trim tag but, do not remember what year it was).

[​IMG]

This is west of Show Low near the 40 and 47 chev in a wash

[​IMG]

30. In the last 10 years or so, I have found and bought over a few dozen old Pontiacs in New Mexico. Have several car friends there. With me eventually moving to eastern Az very near the NM border, I do plan to explore that state as well.