Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. This appears now to be a 1947 Mercury as a result of some searching.

2. desertdroog

desertdroog

Nice to see this thread pop up and detail some of the areas I have discussed with you in person Chip. The bonus of taking the roads less traveled is seeing how varied a state we live in...makes me wish my A was finished as this time of year is fantastic for touring.

3. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I found this Buick buried in a wash near the McCracken mine. (burro Creek area)
    The 2 attachements are of an imported car, I cannot remember the brand at the moment, but the front wheels only had 3 lugs.

Curly

Attached Files:

4. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, My Plymouth being apart for repairs over at Steve's is killing me right now with the weather sooo nice right now... You know how much of this state (and others) that thing has seen!

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Your not looking in the right spot.:p

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So I did a search and found this...about mid page there's a pic of a 60's suburban that is supposed to be off the weatherford trail up on the peaks. I think the trail may be on the west side of the mountain, but if it goes on the east side then if that burb is there its burned up because there aint nothing left on that side. I'll have to get a map and see where this trail is at exactly now...

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?17727-Abandoned-Cars-I-ve-Found/page11

8. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I love arizona for that. All those cars in those piles still have rockers and floor pans, it's just un real. In missouri when you find cars like that you can't open the doors or trunks half the time because 3/4 of the car will come with it. Did that on a 51 or 52 Pontiac the other day and almost took the whole drivers side of the car off via the door handle.

9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

This car is just off the road on the north entrance to Jerome AZ

Attached Files:

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The town of Jerome is alone worth the trip, but the best attraction is the Gold King Mine where the owner has dozens of old cars and trucks and old buildings on display

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      185.3 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      196.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The only thing I would be thinking about when poking around in those old cars would be SNAKES !!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE snakes !!!!!:eek::eek:

Don

12. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Peugeot, late '50s/early '60s.

13. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Peugeot 403.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

Sometimes the best intentions go bad.

In the 70's I freelanced in photography carrying a Nikon at the the ready most of the time.

My father in law asked me once to work on his car on a weekend and since it was greasy work, I didn't take the camera bag.

He needed some parts so he took me on the back roads of North Texas to a yard FILLED with every car we all dream about. The further in the older they got. We grab the spindle off a car for him and left.

A few weeks later I went back withe the camera bag and I wasn't allowed in. The owner was afraid I was from the city or the news. He wouldn't talk at all, just ran me off.

Less than a month later my father in law told all the cars were gone, sold to be scrapped.

It's sad that I had in a hand in that and feel really bad to this day. I do suspect the yard was already under scrutiny by the city but that still makes no difference, they're gone.

In the same town there was this wicked place where one could 'pick' just about anything from the past. I grabbed all the oldest hot rod mags from WAY back and have them to this day. That place is now gone too, but being right on main street, it was destined to go anyway.

15. Somebody got the taillights off the old Puegot, hope they ended up on the back end of somebody's hot rod, something different from the usual '38-'39 Ford teardrops.
    '

16. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

That being said about these Texas yards, Ive hears a few stories too about that, not trying to hijack this from Arizona. In texas we got alot of them "Secret yards/lots
    " that only allow certain people in, and absoutley no cameras?

17. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

found this up on 2nd Mesa on the Hopi rez
    [​IMG]

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

^ now that is a place were there are TONS of old cars and trucks....all the indians I went to school with said there is lots of old stuff out there, only problem is that they wont sell or ever do anything with any of it. should last a long time though being that rust doesnt really exist here :D

19. Not as much as a problem in the winter.

20. I do not allow random photography in either of my yards. When people visit and they bring a camera I remind them that they are on private property and these are my personal things. I do not want anything/everything I own photographed and put on the net.
    I simply tell them to ask if they see something they wish to photograph and if it OK, they can.
    my yards are not open to the public either, so what? I'm a collector, not a business and only sell what I do not need for my own collection.
    They are avail by appointment at times. I do not want anybody in my place either, do not blame them, esp after people posting here casually post how they have stolen from them. What do you expect?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  21. Here is something from the mid 30s.

[​IMG]

22. One of my heaps and me on this realy cool road alongside a cliff. So few people get to see this and that is too bad, it is so pretty.

[​IMG]

Here I jokingly jump on the top of this old mine before we go in to 'make sure it is OK" :)

[​IMG]

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  23. 55, my dad use to work for ADOT and Salome was one of the first areas he worked in,I spent my first couple of years in the trailer park on the west end of town.Would be great to go back out there and look around sometime.Anybody been up through Crown King and into Prescott the back way lately?Also anyone who's been around here for awhile remember Maverick up near Big Lake?

24. Just thought about this area too,Taking Stockton Hill rd. north out of Kingman up to Lake Meade? mostly dirt road all the way up IIRC but could be a neat drive.

25. klazurfer

klazurfer

'34 Ford Tudor :)

Klaz

Attached Files:

26. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

A place I used to visit from time to time in Truxton, right on Route 66. The owner passed away and I'm not sure where all the cars went .....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. Thanks for the info but, now do you know for sure? I realize it is mid 30s because of the suicide doors, etc but, what there says '34?

28. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

Found this one on vacation a few years ago, it was in AZ somewhere.

[​IMG]

29. jesse1980

jesse1980

man there is alot of good parts in that canyon. i could use some off that 4 door 65.

30. phat rat

phat rat

What always amazes me is how many here can not even begin to understand why you feel that way. How many times people post pics they took of something sitting in someones yard without the owner even knowing the pic was taken