Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. flat top austin

flat top austin

I wanna got there so bad!!!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You guys who live in the west and midwest are living my dream.:( It must be so cool to get out in the boonies and see this kind of stuff just laying around.

Don

3. purpledodge

purpledodge
    from Tucson

Not always so easy to get to, it helps to have an off road vehicle.

4. That may be in your case but, all of the ones, about 20, have been accessible by a regular car or by hiking.
    Yesterday, I drove my primered GTO and a friend took his 4dr Bonneville.

Here is another one we found. Now sure what it is, looks like late 40s.

[​IMG]

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

There's lots of stuff I've found up in St. Johns. Really cool yard up there, owned by a local towing guy. Phone #s on the barn, he won't answer or return calls. North side of main road leaving St. Johns east side.

6. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

there is this yard off 7th street and Pima I think a lot of you AZ guys/gals know about. full of stuff. lot of buicks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

this ones on 16th street, I think Washington.
    [​IMG]
    16th street and buckeye, in old plumping yard. not sure if still there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Great thread! We came across a 50's Studebaker or something while out four wheeling near Lake Pleasant a couple of years ago. Clearly it had been pushed down the ravine by a flash flood, tons of branches and crap were forced into it by the water. Wish I had taken a pic now.

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

JEEEEEZZZZZ I need to get out more.
    Theres one in Huachaca city thats a gold mine. Thats what the guy thinks anyway.
    Theres a 61 Starliner just down the street from me.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

In I-10 in Marana theres a guy with a yard with about 20 Studebakers visible from the hiway.

11. azsnow

azsnow

There is a ton of stuff in Marana, and there was once a yard in Picacho, it is shut down, but still has a ton of cool stuff! Take a drive down by Estrella jail as well!

12. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Edit: just caught "Arizona" sorry, still cool cars though...
    I have two to share. The first one offers no pic's and anyone on the west coast that has driven from California to Oregon has drivin 200 yards from them in plain sight. I-5 northbound at the 2 mile marker on the Oregon side, look straight ahead through the curves of the highway and up the hill side. You are about a mile from them at this point. As you ascend the highway, through the curves, remembering where you spoted them, park at the concrete guard rail and put on your hiking shoes. straight up 200 yards is an outcropping of 3 trees. Hidden in plain sight at the base of the trees are 3 cars and various hoods and fenders (late 30's early 40's) and another 100 yards up the cliff is the top where you will find a "deadman's curve". I could never find a local in the area to share stories, but I have stopped a couple times on the way back from car shows and swap meets to show some friends. It takes about 30 min to hike it and its not for the shifty-footed.

Next is an old Cadillac at the top of the Sierra's, buried off of the famous Rubicon Trail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail and http://baggyparagraphs.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/rubicontrail/
    A section of this famous trail from Georgetown Ca to Lake Tahoe has a hill climb that was named after a full size Cadillac that had fallen off. As the story goes, back in the 30's people started using this trail to discover the Tahoe area. They would spend weeks trying to explore the area and get further through the rugged terrain. Carrying long plank boards and moving rock by hand and with explosives, people actually drove sedans several miles into the Sierra Mountains. One family was not so lucky and with one wrong turn, took a tumble and ended up half way down the cliffside. The car has been there since, stripped of everything, shot up and crushed under the 15 feet of anuall snowfall. I finally was able to find the car and took a couple pic's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pic's are crappy, but you literally had to be a billy goat to get there and reach out one arm(holding camera) to take a shot. I couldn't find ANY pic's of this car on the net.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  13. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

If anyone is in the area somtime, I have relatives that live in the Mammoth, area, about 50 miles northwest of Tucson. We used to visit there every couple years and there was always a huge amount of good tin, provided you didn't mind looking around the back roads. As late as the '80's I remember seeing stuff like a 60-ish Corvette, nearly all of a 28-29 A pickup, lots of '40's and '50's Chevys and those were just the complete cars. My Dad bought an absolutely flawless pair of '34 Ford front fenders for $35 (about '80) and my good buddy Ralph Clark bought an unbelievably nice '32 3w body, frame and grille for $1,000 in '81 or '82. All the stuff I mentioned was visible from a road, no hiking involved.

14. Applekrate, I'd be interested in doing some sight seeing .Ever been south of Salome use to be some mine shafts in that area maybe some old iron aswell.

15. We are going on our next outing in a few weeks- Monday Feb 27. It will be between Globe and Show Low in the Salt River Canyon area. Meeting in the east valley at an IHOP around 7am.

I appreciate all the posts here but, would request we stay on our subject thread. Abandoned cars in Arizona. Not cars in yards being stored.

BTW though to answer some questions.
    The yard in st Johns is Ferris towing 928-337-4441
    The storage yard off of 7th st is owned by Blake Machine.

BTT please

Here is another example-

Early 60s chev truck

[​IMG]

16. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Damm that c10 is in great shape

17. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

is this up by mule hoof bend? i have some pics of other cars that were there but cant seem to upload them

18. Ship them here. Just cut your rusty NY clunker off about halfway down the body and mate it to the bottom of one of these things and go.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's the old Harqua Hala mining district. Been through the mountain range there several times checking out the old mining claims and abandoned equipment. Actually quite a few ghost towns in that area too, but vary little evidence of their existance left. Lots to see around there. No trip would be complete though with out getting ahold of Doc and going through Salome antique auto parts...

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If any body is waiting on baited breath for part two of my back roads travellogue from post 29, I'll continue it in the morning... It is cool though with lots of tin seeking potential. Been a long day!

21. Need Louvres,

If you need a beat to crap OT Roadmaster to run interference on the next trip, let me know. I've made a few of the drives you spoke of, but, I've been meaning to make it out to Ajo, only ever made it as far as Gila Bend to look at a house. My buddy lives in Ajo, and I've been told to be prepared for the road blocks, and agents.

Sounds like some good trips, and I'm looking for parts for my 64 c10... I'm going to have to start running up the miles on the Bluick during the weekends.

22. RE; Benson cars, there use to be alot of cars and few trucks in there. I had sent in photos to Rod & Custom for the vintage tin issue a few years back. (5 +/-) Someone got in there and removed a bunch of them a couple years ago. (including the two 49 Chevys I was slowly removing parts from) I first came across them back in 1995 while out horseback riding & have seen many go MIA over the years....

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

bodi,
    I can certainly be up for runnin' around a bit and showing you some of the sights. You live within 6 blocks of me anyway, so we should hang out a bit ya know? Give me a call in the next couple of days. 602 881 0175

24. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Ok looking at this thread really has me wanting to go out and do some hunting now......although I'll probably want to pull have the stuff home :D So for now I'll post some pics that I do have...this red truck was abandoned in a yard until I brought it home. There are some model A's off of I40 near Katchina Village that a Ranch put there for "art" yea drives me nuts but what can you do...and here's some pics from Jerome and some other stuff I've found.

Attached Files:

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I've lived here all my life and never even heard of Salome....and I know there are lots different little towns like Baghdad, Wikieup, Crown King, Seligman etc.

26. Sounds killer. I'll be working up in Peoria tomorrow, but, I'll give you a call.

27. On behalf of all the people who live in an area where abandoned cars rot to dust in 10 years I have to say that this thread is frustrating to us.:(
    Still, I love to see them, just wish that I lived there.

28. Yes it is.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Salome is a bit west of Wickenburg on hiway 60... Little towns ALL over this state!

30. I'm sure you guys been to Hackberry!!