Register now to get rid of these ads!

Amish Hot Rodders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jipp

jipp

the elders do not approve.. they never do.. and black red, classic.
    i hope there are no blow outs.. would be quite messy.
    chris.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Amish around here are using technology as long as it is "off the grid". They will ride to a job site in a gas powered vehicle owned by the employer, they use battery powered hand tools, recharging them with solar panel chargers, the diesel impliments are probably running home brewed bio fuel. So things are changing a bit within some of the communities.

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Hell the amish have been hotrodding around here for years!

Attached Files:

4. Wait til they pull out the hacksaw and start lowering their Horses......Thank god they don't use computers,or we would have all kinds of arguments over "Traditional Carraiges"....bags vs buggy springs,nails vs screws,whips vs cattle prods,haha!

5. senior fried

senior fried

Next Thread --- what should I use to power my buggy, Horse or Mule ,any thoughts !

6. I have a lot of respect for the Amish people and don't mean any disrespect with my post,,just saying,,, HRP

7. silverdome

silverdome

This site never ceases to amaze me. Funny Stuff!

8. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I can't belive this thread is already 2 pages long and no one has gotten into Photo Shop !! Comon' guys.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

There are lots of Amish around here, and all sorts of interesting rides....
    First real interesting one I saw years ago was an Allis Chalmers tractor with the seat and steering wheel removed, then pulled by horses (revised the front steering) so they could use the power take off.....
    Now they pull larger diesel engines mounted on four tires that can run most modern machinery...
    Cheers................

10. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I grew up near a colony of Amish and have witnessed the Sunday afternoon buggy grudge race down the main street of my small hometown.

I guess depending on what you fed the horse, these could be considered gassers.

11. 51delivery

51delivery

I have seen fishing boats pulled behind amish buggies a few times. But the small pontoon boat on the horse drawn trailer full of amish kids is my favorite.

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

If any amish people are offended by this post, let me be the first to say......What the hell are you doing????.....Your not supposed to be using a computer!!....LOL

Around here the amish shop at walmart just like everyone else, And drive the biggest badest F550 dually that ford makes!! while talking on their nextels

13. henryj429

henryj429

This will be the next big thing until somebody implements a 30 year sliding scale for buggy eligibility.

14. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Those are Menonites.
    The Amish are the first to be rollin' on 30s!

15. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

i like it . man that would go over great here. i could race down the streets and get no tickets

16. The Amish Roundup...
    [​IMG]

17. I finally have a picture to go with my signature line! ;)
    Thanks Ryan!

JK

18. "What are your thoughts on NOS? (Natural Oat Suppliments)....

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Anyone got the animated Amish Drag Racing deal from awhile back. I lost it. "Get yer posthole diggers" :D

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just for the historical record...
    I went to a hotrod/custon car show in Lancaster, Pennsylvania many years ago, probably about 1963 or so. It was one of the big ones with the traveling entourage of nationally known show cars from California and a gaggle of local cars from wherever they stopped...
    Inside, we encountered about 5 or 6 Amish teenagers ogling the rods, all the while furtively glancing over their shoulders in obvious fear of getting caught...
    I would still love to know what memories and thoughts are stuck in those guys' heads now.
    In college in Carlisle, Pa a few years later, there was a local group of Mennonites who were very slightly more liberal than the actual Amish ones...they used cars, but carefully shunned all glitz. A typical ride for them in about 1968 would have been a black bottom-of-the-line 1952 Ford with all chrome covered with black housepaint. The locals called them "Black Bumper Mennonites"...actual anti-rodders!

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wasn't there a guy on here who used an Amish buggy body on an A chassis? didn't look half bad either...

22. If you find it, YOU MUST get me the link!

I've been searching for it for about 4 years- it's called "Forgotten Moments in Sports- Amish Drag Racing!"

I had it on our old desktop but it crashed and I couldn't recover it... :(

JK

23. badshifter

badshifter

"My leggy secretary failed to mention that the article was printed in 1951."

Um, pics?

24. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Especially if it's a "gasser".

25. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

of the leggy secretary of course!

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Around these parts you see 'em cruising a really oats'd-up bitchin' Morgan horse down past the DQ in low gear then winding it out on the straighaway.
    And the best buttermilk kegger parties and wet-bonnet contests?!

With all due respect to their pious lifestyle and beliefs.They occupy our world so they're due equally in respect and jovial fun.Peace to them.

27. silverdome

silverdome

Wasn't Milner's ride yellow and the horses had bobbed tails? It seems I remember something about the bobbed tails gave them better traction at higher speeds

28. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

If you ain't smiling by now , somethings wrong .

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

In Lancaster you see them all the time on the roads . Many have the Flashing Lights on the buggies now to help them from getting hit .
    The really kool thing to see is the young kids and the scooters they ride . It has about 12" or 15" wheels , bike handles bars and the platform they stand on is about 4" off the ground ! It's funny a Hell watching them swinging their one legs way up in the air to get the scooter going faster ! They must go through shoes really fast too ! But they do get those scooters going pretty fast . They do go down those hills fast as well but don't see any brakes on them so they got more guts than I do . Some of those hills are steep and long !

Retro Jim

30. I posted that pic before with a caption this title...it got deleated for being off topic. Oh well funny to see it again, I didnt write a funny article with it like the boss man did.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011