Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. vendetta

vendetta

as soon as i saw this thread with willys in the title i immediately thought "Gasser".and i wasn't disapointed.thanks.:)

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great looking car.

3. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Here's some of KS's Willys after Harry Hall took over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

5. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

GREAT photos! Thanks for posting them! I had the pleasure of spending yesterday (Sunday 5/22) with Harry and Thelma...they were with us at Quarter Aces Dragway....Mike Hall, Harry and Thelma's son was driving the K.S. Pittman 33 Willys tribute car against my Big Time Memories Willys! Its always GREAT to have Harry and Thelma there as part of our team!

6. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

Keep on truckin...

EPSON007.JPG

img002.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  7. choke

choke

Hey "35willyspickup", I don't know if that's your car or not. But it is the old Steinberg and Hayes willys out of the East Bay in California. It's seen on the Jackson Bros. Gasser Files dvd. I know this because I built that truck in it's current form back in 1988 for a fellow named Ward Howard out of Ben Loman California. When he brought me the cab and front dog house it still had the original green paint and lettering on it. The last time I saw the truck it was for sale in National Dragster. Never heard or saw it again. I still have construction shots of it.

8. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Isn't that the truck that ended up painted a light blue color, run by Ward Howard in Super Gas?

Howard.JPG

9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Choke, I guess I should have read your reply more closely before I posted my last reply (lol).

The Ward Howard truck appears to be a glass cab, but I thought the old Steinberg & Hayes pickup was a steel cab. I would love to see some of those old construction shots if you get a chance to scan them. I always wondered what happened to Steinberg's pickup. You've been involved with some great cars and awesome builds Choke.

Steinberg-pu1.jpg Steinberg-pu3.jpg

Steinberg-pu2.jpg snapshot20081128112010_detail-vi.jpg

10. krassandbernie

krassandbernie

Any more shots of the Steinberg and Hayes truck from back in the day? I've only ever seen the photos that were just posted.

11. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

Choke, I took these pictures many years ago at a show in Calif. I dont own this one. But I did buy a early Cal automotive '33 pickup about 18 years ago and about 6 years ago I bought the former Edmission bros/Lary Moore steel '35 pickup..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  12. choke

choke

Ward's Willys was definitely a steel cab. The bed I built out of aluminun. I'll try to get some help scanning my old photos. I have some pretty good shots of it as I built it.

13. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks Choke. I look forward to seeing them.

14. Weasel

Weasel

These were at the NHRA Museum Twilight Cruise - Willys Night yesterday....

Amazingly correct 1934 standard coupe....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Weasel

Weasel

Bob Sharp's all steel '36....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rfraze likes this.
  16. Weasel

Weasel

Paul Rieker's steel 1933 with glass flip nose....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

Caught this '36 PU with glass '33 nose going the other way - there are better photos of it earlier in this thread....

[​IMG]

18. Weasel

Weasel

There were some plastic cars there too but I did not want to pollute this thread....;)

19. Weasel

Weasel

This is a factory artist's rendition of a 1933 Willys closed cab pickup which was never produced. Along with the 1933 cabriolet/convertible roadster and Panel Delivery shown in the 1933 brochure. The pickup was only shown in the dealer sales album. Note that it has very different lines from the actual production pickup which debuted in 1935. This is most definitely based on the sedan body as the roof line is similar to that of the sedan - not more raised as per the production Panel Delivery. The rear window has rounded corners, not the sharply squared corners of the actual production pickup and the cab itself is much more rounded than the final version. I find this version aesthetically far more pleasing than the production model. Willys clearly had plans for these variants, but as they were under control of the bankruptcy trustees, none of these products made it to production until 1935 and the cabriolet/convertible roadster never saw the light of day....

Note: Picture seems to have disappeared from this post overnight - I cannot re-insert it so I'll run it again in a fresh post.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  20. Weasel

Weasel

Here again are photos of an original late 1936 pickup for comparison. Note it will get black a fabric insert at the top rear cab - this is correct for the production model....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

Here's the same truck a bit further along in the resto now showing the long grain fabric top - photo courtesy of g-willys....

[​IMG]

22. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

This was the last car my brother built before he died in 2004. It was a 33 Willys 4 door Sedan that he modified into a 2 door Sedan which is something that Willys never built. I know its more street roddish than is welcome here but it is a very unique Willys.

[​IMG]

23. Weasel

Weasel

Let's try again with the disappearing pickup picture from post #1041....

[​IMG]

24. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Heres a couple more shots I found of my late brothers 33 Willys 2 door sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Looks like he did a nice job on it. Looks like the front doors were lengthened a little, which really helps with the proportions. It was a pretty sweet car. Is it still around?

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

is this the flirtin with the disaster car / B.C. car that flipped in the Gasser Files video?

rfraze likes this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i should have read the whole thread before asking my question

28. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

bad ass right here!!!!!!!!:d

29. Gasser Madness

Gasser Madness

Yes it is. This was prior to Jim Tipper buying it when it became the "Flirtin' With Disaster" car.

30. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Actually, I recently moved to Arizona where my brother lived and I heard from a guy in my brothers old car club that the car is still here. The person who bought the Willys still owns the car and lives in Phoenix. I'm trying to track him down as I'd like to see the car again.

I wished I had the bucks to have bought the car when my brother died but it was a lean time for me. It was an amazing car considering my brother built the entire Willys in a little 2 car garage. The only thing he farmed out was the upholstery.