Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Now theres an idea :D

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Here's a pic of what i mean

[​IMG]

3. If you look at the old gassers there are quite a few with the wheelie bars, usually running the bigger pnumatic tires , like a garden tractor or such....KS Pittmans 33 Willys had them!!

4. patman

patman

Wheels? We don't need no steenking wheels!

[​IMG]

5. patman

patman

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Patman, thats great.

7. BTW>....What are those door hinges?? I have a Willys going together right now, and your build is a wealth of information!!! The only difference so far is I'm using a stock Willys frame that I have boxed, along with a 413 Chrysler. Other than that it looks like my garage!!!

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I was going to get some repro Willys hinges but couldn't warrant the money i'm afraid So i went with Speedway hinges, They are slightly smaller but do the job. Link here http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Budget-Hinges,3402.html

Why don't you get a build thread going, we all love pictures :D

9. Thanks a bunch!!!! I dunno about a new thread though......like I said it would be a rerun of yours!!

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its good to bounce ideas off each other, We need to see pictures :D

11. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

I agree with LANGY. Start a tread of your own. It is good to see what ideas other people have when it comes to building cars. That and pics are always great to look at.

12. unkamort

unkamort

Just read the entire thread (dont know how I missed it)
    Thumbs up on a class A build... and a gentleman to boot.

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate although i'm not sure about being a gentleman LOL

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well seeing as i have no interest in a royal wedding i thought i would make good use of the long bank holiday weekend.

Cut the front floor panel from a sheet of 12mm ply and clearanced it for the autobox, Its only bolted in at the moment, will glass it fully very shortly.

[​IMG]

Once i had the floor in place i could get the front body mounts into place.

[​IMG]

Next i made some plates up that bolt to the front mounts at the A post sandwiching the floor, this where my front cage mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next i made the B post mounts from 4" x 2" box, these needed to be strong as my main cage hoop bolts in here, the box was tapered and capped off and square plate welded to each mount. They are tacked in place and will get fully welded when the body is lifted off. (the box section in the pics is the temperary mounts)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 more plates were cut and drilled to bolt in at the B post again sandwiching the 12mm floor, this is where the main cage hoop bolts in.

[​IMG]

Next i started putting in the steelwork to stiffen up the B post and to provide a mounting point for the lock striker.

[​IMG]

This is where it started raining so i retired to the workshop to find something to do, I had a offcut of 3" stainless exhaust tubing so decided to make a weight bar for the rear, i spun up some capping plates for the ends and welded them in place, then i gave the tube a quick polish as it makes it easier to full polish after the brackets were welded on. The brackets fix where the original Willys bumper irons fit, I will cut the bumper irons cutouts in the rear fenders tomorrow and hopefully get it bolted in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a good productive day !!! Now for a nice beer or 2

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Now that bumper is quite a nice piece. Love the polished look to it. Was over at a friends house today. He was doing tin work for a Henry J. Neat old car with real 409 Chevy and drag auto trans (still had the manufacturers tags like it was fresh. My friend has about 600 hrs in the tin work and it is looking real good. I always like to see the details as a car is built.
    Keep us posted on your coupes build.Going to be one neat ride.

Dave

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Dave, the bumper needs a final polish yet but came out good, hope to get it mounted today.
    I love the Henry J's, they are very rare here in England, I also like the 409 and have one myself although it needs a full rebuild, infact this project nearly had it as the motor.

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Your doing a great job, I am really enjoying this thread! What about wood crush between the metals, are you going to make metal sleaves for the bolts where in goes thru the wood? One thing I do know for sure, you have lots of fab equipment we cant see. I do this stuff everyday and you just cant get the results your getting with normal backyard tools. Keep up the great work!

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave,Yes there are tubes slightly under the floor thickness, yes i have a fair bit of fab equipment but not much is getting used on this project, I wanted to do it mostly the old way.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Love all the little details on the pieces you're building! They really make the build!

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, not as much detail on this one as i usually put in as its a tight budget but i still try and make them tidy.
    We have a race series here called The Gasser Circus, I just signed up so need to get this done ASAP :D

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not such a productive day today mainly because its been bl00dy hot :D

I got the weight bar fitted and made a template for the trans tunnel and a few other boring bits. The trans tunnel could of been lower but i want to mount my shifter on it so i made it a bit higher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  22. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Since it is so hot there can you send some of the heat my way. Woke up again this morning to another 1" of snow. That's 2 days in a row. Sure would be nice to be able to open up the shop doors instead of having to run the heaters. Enjoy the weekend!:D

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

We don't see it very often so we are keeping it to ourselves mate :D

24. Racrdad

Racrdad

Love the "sleep at violet springs" on the trunk lid

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

My mate must of put it there with a marker pen, I hadn't noticed it till you mentioned it.

26. ScottV

ScottV

Langy, having been part of the car culture in England I can empathize with you. I did however have the luxury of buying parts from the US, having them shipped to a US address and not paying the V.A.T.

Most of us here can't even relate to a "garden" build. I will never forget my reaction when I found out the Dave Pollen's "Pollen Count" Zephry Zodiac, which was Englands Fastest Street Car at the time, had been entirely built in his paved front garden.

I will be watching this one, good luck and mind how you go.

ScottV, Honorary Londoner :p

27. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Langy, I'm really enjoying this build thread as I'm a Willys nut too. Very nice fabrication work your doing here. Looking forward to following your build and seeing more.

28. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Thanks Racrdad, I was trying to read that and I couldn't quite make it out. That was a cool reference to the movie your mate put on there Langy. I would bet that's the license plate number for the Hot Rod Willys on the trunk lid as well. Actually now that I looked at it again, there's too many digits. Someone's watched the movie a few times.

Joe

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Scott.

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah i know, i think he put it on there as he knows i like that particular car and i'm thinking of running grey primer.
    The license number is my dailys, when i towed the body on the trailer to the swapmeet we scrawled it on there.