Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hunnert Car Pileup - 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. This was our first Pile UP and it was a blast for us.

I'm glad you spoke of the Round Up and the Hunnert in the same sentence, because we are feeling they are both of the same calibre and we have included it as one of our top shows to attend.

A list, I might add that is dwindling, for various reasons.

Hats off to the Czars and Catherine who made it happen!!!

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

It's cool you mentioned the Pileup and the Roundup in the same sentence. I always tell people that the Pileup reminds me of the Roundup on a little smaller scale. Both very cool shows. Great job Czars in stepping up to the plate and addressing last years problems. You knocked it outta the park. Had a great time. Gary

4. Plowboy

Plowboy

As I have attended both shows multiples of times, I am also glad to see that they are getting mentioned in the same sentance as well. Hopefully people from across the country will start paying attention to this show and make Illinois one of their favorite car show destinations...just like I feel about the roundup which I plan on making as often as possible.

5. Deadbird

Deadbird

Haven't been to the Roundup yet. It's top on my list of things to do. I too am really glad to see the two mentioned together. The Czars made a judgment call and just nailed it! What a great time. The future looks bright for the Pileup now, which is a lot more than I could say this time last year.

6. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Thanks, Ryan. You pretty much nailed it... We had some really tough club discussions last year about whether or not this year's Pileup was going to happen.

We really appreciate the positive comments, and hearing that the people who attend are still digging it. Our club members (and DW) really kill themselves trying to pull this off every year.

And personally, I'm making plans to attend the Roundup next year. Already looking forward to seeing how its done down in Tejas.

7. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

HUGE thanks to DW, the Czars, and everyone else who so much as passed out fliers, worked at the show, organized a cruise, or told someone about it. It is people like you that made this weekend what it was.

No complaints, comments, or suggestions from me...just a huge grin. :D

Thanks for a great weekend.

8. It was a great show.....again.

I miss the Ring of Fire though.

9. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

LOVE your car! I took several pics of it. Very nice.

10. ryno

ryno

the czars did a awesome job and glad they moved the venue, its now closer for me! there is plenty of room for growth at this site. yes it was hot, but next year it very well may be snowing, that's the beauty of the mid west, or at least what some say.

i had a great time and it does, as mentioned have a mini LSR feel to it.
    even had a great time at the secret Uranus party!

11. ryno

ryno

is THAT what you and rashy call it

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

This is my favorite show and has been since the first year. I have very fond memories of that first year. I drove there all by myself, because no one would ride that far in October in a chopped top car with no wipers, no side glass and no heat! I'm so glad i did. I made a lot of friends i might not have had i gone with a group. A lot of great people were there that first year. Magnet, Hellfish, Bleed, Larry Grobe (i don't think he was VooDoo Larry yet :D), Hot Rod Josh and of course our hosts Andy Didio (who, via the HAMB, invited me to make the trek, even though we'd never met before.) and his dad Jerry. Great people, each and every one and there were many more who's names have escaped me...
    This is the ONE show every year that i will not miss. It's been a great ride and i can't wait for number 10! ...Hopefully i can make the Round Up next year too. Always wanted to go to that show.

Thank You Chrome Czars and thank you Ryan!

13. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I too, believe your comments "hit the nail on the head" as they say, Ryan. It's always difficult to manage anything with "growing pains"!....and the Pileup is a perfect example of that! The Czars are a real class group and really put forth an earnest effort IMO to be fair and equitable about the manner in which they manage the Pileup. It ain't easy by any means! I saw a few vehicles that I felt were questionable in terms of the "entry criteria" but realized it's all but impossible to co-ordinate a perfect entry process;...especially on this large of a scale. I'm not one who enjoys passing judgment on others, and have made a practice of excepting matters as they are rather than taking issue with details I may or may not agree with. The Hunnertcarpileup is still my favorite event of the year and, at the rate it's going, most likely always will be for the simple reason that when I'm there, I'm absolutely IN MY ELEMENT! It's a GREAT event and the Chrome Czars should be applauded for their efforts in providing one of the best Hot Rod Venues of it's kind! I wish them all continued success!

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Yep, another great year. I'm sure there will be changes for next year, but only for the best. This year was a tough one for me, but made darn sure I was there. And as always I made some great new friends, and saw many old faces. This show,The Rust Revival, and Symco are all about family....

15. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

The Uranus party was out of this world!

16. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Thanks a lot Ryan. Like Lucky(Dynamic88) said its been a long tough year on everyone. We wanted to make it happen and have a great show but still keep the nature of the show the same its been since the start. You can imagine how hard that is with the number of specatators and "show car" that it has become! Everyone in the club and Catherine has sacrificed a lot to make it happen and it was great to see how the show turned out. It's crazy how much time, effort and planning it takes to put on a show of this size. We can't please everyone but i think the majority of people will agree that it was one hell of a show and still felt like the Hunnert Car Pile-Up.

I can't say it enough that this show can't be done without the volunteers and all the great people that make the long treks to come to our "little show", haha. It's greatly appreciated by every one of us. It's a great time and am making every effort to make it to the next LSR. Thank you again Ryan, it was kinda surreal to open this thread and read about it!

17. Deadbird

Deadbird

Yeah, sorry I missed it. Zigged when I shoulda zagged. Next year. :cool:

18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I've always said its better to take quality over quantity with a car show... That's why I don't attend the 'mega-rodz-shows' for the most part.
    Just a little filtering at the gate keeps the vibe more on target for everybody that gets "it" to enjoy. There will always be crybabies who want their lowered 67 Impala in a traditional rod & custom show, but drawing the line makes it a better show for everybody, and I admire that.

19. Church

Church
    from South Bay

The show was awesome. WAY bigger than I thought, without many 4 wheeled turds. I do however, have a little complaint..... but just one. Can a brother get a god damn cloud in the sky?

Great meeting some new peeps too. I'll post some pics after I download my camera and process what a great time I had. Bravo Chrome Czars...BRAVO!!!

20. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I was lucky enough to go to both this year (Round-up, Pile-up) and enjoyed both. In fact, they almost seemed the same..Good cars, people, and WARM!!!

21. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Had another great time at the pile-up. This was my third year in a row, along with my Dad and a friend or two. We drive from metro Detroit and don't even have "hot rods"...(yet). Maybe we will have one finished for next year...Terrific show and super nice people!

I did miss the Grundy fairground layout with the cars by the barns, under trees and the ring of fire...but you can't have it all. The getting in/out and vast room is more than a fair trade off.

Can't wait till next year.

22. foe

foe
    from Canada

This was the very first time I went to a car show in the States (Im from Ontario, Canada) and I have to say it was absolutely a first class experience. The quality of the people and cars was beyond any expectation I might of had. My father in law and I travelled for 16 hours to the show in his 35 Hudson coupe - lined up for the show at 5:30 am - and got rejected a the gate because the car was too close to original! We laughed and went in happy anyway. I ended up with about 600 photos and my head spinning from the hyperactive imaginations out there. Great to see the pileup happen and I look forward to seeing the 10th.

23. Displayman

Displayman

I went last year for the first time.
    It was awesome, even with the crowds, traffic and muddy grounds.
    Couldn't make it this year, but will next!
    Very cool event to say the least!!
    Takes a great organization! hats off to the Chrome Czars!

Bob- Hampshire, Illinois

24. magnet

magnet

Thanks fellas, thanks Ryan.

When you see members of the Red Shirt Army.. be sure to give them a warm thanks!

25. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yup , Hands down , ten fold , no comparisson the best Event ive ever been to . It was my first year so i just wanted to spectate , get a chance to take it all in so to speak , The city of Decatur i think did a good thing by having the cruise and show thurs and fri , it made for a great week all together . I am just hoping everything went well enough for the Czars that they will make Decatur the home of the Hunnert for a good while.

26. gonmad

gonmad

Been to the Roundup a couple times and here the first time this year. We were pooped when we got into town Friday night, so we missed the festivities in Clinton, but did go Saturday night, that's a pretty neat little town. Too bad they said Friday was better!
    Hope it continues to grow and become better every year!

27. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

An awesome show!
    My only bitch is that I didn't have time to see it all. I volunteered to the red shirt army, so I worked the spectator gate for 2 hours (it was fun) then it was time to meet up with the people I was staying with (Paddy's Motor Club) and try to see the show. I know a two day event is not a good plan... maybe we could ask for a longer day on just that one day; stopping the earth for a few hours shouldn't be a big deal right?

28. Lucky77

Lucky77

My girlfriend and I just got back Monday night and it was a great time. The show was fantastic, traffic moved without a hitch when we got there (11:00 am) and when we left around 4:00 pm. We got to see a lot of cars that we hadn't seen before, and we really enjoyed ourselves. Its going to take a little getting used to. Everything is so spread out at Progress City, and I liked the dusty, cramped confines of Morris but if the move keeps this show going then its well worth it. Can't wait for next year!

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Thanks Ryan and everyone else with the kind words.

We learned a few things at the new location, but overall things went pretty well. Except for a couple of unhappy posters here on the HAMB the overwhelming response was the show was bigger and better than ever. People stopped me everywhere thanking us for the show. That went a LONG way after all the bullshit last year.

Like I said on another thread, sure, we all miss the character of the Grundy County Speedway. But Progress City has it's own character, and the main draw is the show, not the trees. And isn't it more important to get 1500+ cars and 15k people in and out easily as can be expected during a 1 day show? The Clinton pre and post party more than made up for the character aspect. If that square isn't a time warp, I don't know what is.

Thanks to the Red Shirt Army, Progress City, Clinton, Decatur, Snappers, DW, and all our significant others for helping us make the show happen.

30. Trent Oros

Trent Oros
    from oreana

the show was my first and it was the best show i have been to in years. completely awesome. pre party friday night was really awesome. saturday in clinton wasnt as big but still a good time.. where did everyone go sat night? pleeeeeaaaaase do it again next year same spot same same parties in clinton it was beautifal