Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a car in someone elses name?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jnunez1955, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jnunez1955

jnunez1955
    BANNED

I want to buy this 1939 coupe locally.
    The guy has the N.C. title, but its in someone else's name...BUT he does have the title and bill of sale both notorized proving its his.

If i do buy it, i plan on getting a notorize bill of sale.
    My question is, i am going to be put into a hassle when getting it into my name since im buying the car from someone with a different name on the title?

He was saying he would put it in his name, but cost about 200 after paying for the taxes and new title....and he just doesnt have the cash to do that.

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

make him do it or you will regret it later.

3. jnunez1955

jnunez1955
    BANNED

the only way he will do it, if i cover the fees.
    he is just going to raise the price of the car...
    and i need that extra 200 to put it into my name...

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Listen to the man! Do it or you will reqret it later!!!

5. jonly

jonly

the ford we bought was from an estate sale, and it was a HUGE hassle even with the executor being the gentleman that we bought it from. I'm not sure we'd have ever gotten a random 3rd party through.
    make him do it.

6. jnunez1955

jnunez1955
    BANNED

he is totally open to putting it in his name, AT MY EXPENSE....and my funds are limited, i need the extra cash to put it in my name.

7. fanspete

fanspete

If you're paying 'his' $200, then have a contract drawn up so he doesn't back out after you pay to get the title in his name.

8. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

If the title is notorized and signed how would the DMV know you didn't get the title from the guy who signed it?
    Did the guy who has the car now sign it? If the guy who has the car now signed it DMV (at least in az) will do a POA to transfer the title to the new owner (you) with out having the current person(the guy with the title) having to pay to title it.

Why not just have the guy meet you at DMV to have the title put in your name. That way if there is a problem you can walk away from the deal?

9. Squablow

Squablow

I would just take it. If the last guy signed the title, all you have to do is put your name in the spot for buyer, and fill in the blanks. I do it all the time, who gives a shit who's name is on the title. I can't imagine a situation where that would make a difference.

Guys are registering cars with titles purchased out of the classifieds all the time, and you know not a single one is in the name of the seller.

I suppose different states have different rules, but I personally wouldn't waste the $200.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It's like having insurance through a friend....

11. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Im with Squablow on this one

12. jnunez1955

jnunez1955
    BANNED

Yes, i agree with you....i never thought about it that way.
    People buy titles all the time online, titles that doesnt even match the stamped numbers on the car....and get away with it just fine.
    And the car im buying is all completely matching numbers with the title....signed by the original owner and the buyer and notory.

but i do suppose i have to get in touch with my states DMV/DOT

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the gent who is now selling it didn't put his name in the "buyers" line on the title there shouldn't be a problem.

I have one out of state title at the moment for a truck I bought a while back and I'm not the least bit worried about it. The problem arises when there are too many names on the title.

If he did indeed put his name on the title when it was notorized he will have to get things squared away before it is transferred to you. That will be what ever your states dmv says has to be done. He may just have to go in with you and sign a release of interest but you need to check with your states dmv to see what needs to be done so you get it right the first time.

14. budd

budd

sounds like this guy buys and sells lots of cars and is avoiding the tax man.

15. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

It sounds like the guy you are buying it from is "flipping" the car, as long as its signed be the name on the title and the new owner portion is still blank should be ok.

16. 30sx

30sx
    from canada

try going halfs, 100.00 each nothing else works.

17. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It's called "jumping" a title, and you can both be procecuted for it. He is beating the state out of the sales tax.

Another scenario. I had a buddy who bought an old Rambler, the title was signed off by the PO, and notarised, otherwise blank. After putting quite a bit into the car to repair a bad engine, he took the title in for transfer, and it showed up on the hot sheet from more than 20 years ago. The person who sold it to him forged the signature, and somehow got it notarised. The rightful owner declined to procecute, but he was out nearly $2000 in repairs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

When I was buying and selling alot of cars, I would have the seller leave the buyer info blank then when I would sell it have the new buyer fill in the blanks and I never existed. I never had a problem nor did the new purchaser.

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Is it a NC title? If so and the buyer line is blank, you are golden (as long as it's legit). If it's an out of state title, you are going to have to jump through hoops with DMV inspection, bonded title and other heartaches.

I would say if it's an NC title, do it. If it's out of state, pay the guy the $200 for him to go through the trouble of getting an NC title, you'll be waaaay ahead of the game. Trust me.

20. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I third squablow's opinion. Don't ask me how I know. As long as the title is legitimately signed off the DMV doesn't care, they'll be getting $$$ from you transfering it into your name. Worse case scenario you walk out of that office if there are any problems. I have found that there are great differences on dealing with older car titles from one office to another.

21. It's done all the time here in Louisiana. You have to pay for double transfer. Meaning you have to pay the sales tax from original seller to buyer number one, then again pay sales tax from buyer number one to buyer number two.

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

okay all you "title jumpers", here are the issues:

1. The OP wishes to have a notarized bill of sale...from whom? It certainly wouldn't be from the person whose name is on the title...unless it were forgery.

2. What if the car was stolen? The $200 spent to get it titled in the seller's name is cheap insurance to make certain it wasn't. When the seller spends the $200 and has the VIN researched during the title transfer process, it would offer either peace of mind or the red flag would jump right up. If he wouldn't do this before hand, would you not have reason to be suspicious? There is red flag number one.

3. You all know if is illegal to jump titles. Keep it up and, in time, the States are going to get tougher and tougher with rules and regulations. How long will it be before every vehicle has to pass safety inspection before the title can be transferred? I am telling you, spend the money and avoid the attention.

4. If $200 is really an issue to either party, then perhaps this is a purchase that shouldn't be made.

just my $.02

23. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Just call the DMV with the license plate and S/N of the car....they'll tell you if it's stolen/etc, what if any back fee's are owed...

SImple stuff IMO.

24. 2-TONED

2-TONED

here we can fill out a ''did not buy/sell'' form. if the title was signed by a would be buyer & the deal fell through we fill out the paper get a couple of signatures & waaaalaaaa the new title comes crisp and clean with our name on it.

we pay regular tax and transfer fees -- no ther fees its done.
    the ladies working at the license bureau or dmv know exactly whats going on. theyve seen it all & will work with you.

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That's not how it works in NC.

26. MODELA30

MODELA30

#1 if you think the car is stolen run the numbers with the local law and they should tell you if it is.
    #2 if the title is signed off by the original owner and the name of the guy who is selling it to you does not have his name on it then you are ok.
    #3 but if the original owner made the guy that is selling the car to you sign the title then my friend you are fucked. The guy who is selling the car to you must title the car first before he can sell it. Because he signed it he must title it this gives the state a chance to get money on back taxes due or even back child support this is a lein on the car.
    #4 if he titles it and sells it to you with a lein then you will not be able to title that car till he pays what is due if there is something due. So be carefull thanks there is my 2 cents knuck from indiana.

27. $200 is NOTHING compared to the hassle of not having a clear title. A small % of the total price of the whole project. Hell, you can't even find a "historical document" for that kind of money. I hear people say "a title is easy to to get". Yeah,right. So why don't THEY do it? Along the same lines as: ran when parked, the A/C just needs charging, checks in the mail, blah blah.

28. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Are you saying NC won't tell you if a vhicle is stolen, or additional fees are needed?

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't know if this would apply in other states, but I bought a parts truck with title with my name as the buyer filled in many years ago, the truck was stripped and the parts were sold. I still had the title and a few years ago I had a person who was in interested in it, purely as a historical document of course, I went down the the DMV and told them I bought the truck many years ago wanted to officially transfer it over into my name. I paid something like $50, it probably has gone up 3X since then because our lovable governor increased every tax he could. No hassle at all, sold the historical document to the person.

30. No two states are alike. NC collects a sales tax like annually on a car - how long has it sat? Seller probably doesn't want to pay back sales taxes on it. You'll get hit with them when you take it in.

But if the title is blank and the reciept doesn't specify who bought it, I wouldn't worry about it. NY makes it even easier - no notarization on titles. A title is $50 now and NY has no means I'm aware of to just title in your name without insuring and registering at the same time, which can cost another $200-$250. I've sold my share of them without ever putting them in my name, I don't make a habit of it, but I've also bought plenty that weren't titled in the seller's name either. Hell on '72 and older they don't use titles and made it easy to register them, so I've bought plenty that I never got any paperwork for. Not going to lose any sleep over it.