Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to clean fuel lines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corsair, Dec 14, 2009.

1. corsair

corsair

Tried searching, but probably didn't use the right keywords. What's the best way to clean out steel fuel lines? The tank was full of crud, I'm sure the fuel lines are too. Just not sure how to clean 'em.

Can I cap it, fill it with seafoam or fuel injector cleaner and let it soak? Flush it with something else? Someone suggested "flossing" it with weed wacker cord. Seemed clever, but I couldn't get the cord very far up the line before it binds.

What's the best way?

Thanks guys!

2. dannyego

dannyego

in my experience I find it easier to just replace the fuel lines, it usually only takes a couple of hours and then you dont have to worry about it. Did you replace or clean out the tank? what was in there rust? sludge?

3. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

On the '29 Model A I just used carb cleaner, however the fuel lines aren't but like a couple feet long. Just sprayed the heck out of them until nothing but clear came out.
    Probably isn't the best way but it got the job done. Maybe try something like pipe cleaners too for the ends.

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Best way I've found is to Use them. Gasoline is an excellent solvent. Run a good fuel filter like the old brass ones Chevys used to have and expect to clean it frequently.

Devin

5. corsair

corsair

I like the last one. Same guy who recomended the cord trick said the use 'em plan wouldn't work. Go figure. Tank was full of rust. And some chunks of glass. And a couple of bleeder bolts. It was like cutting open the belly of a shark. I sent it to the radiator shop and need to put it back in.

Brass Chevy fuel filter? Which ones?

I think I'm going to see if I can get a 70's Bosch K-jet fuel filter. Mechanical fuel injection systems use kick ass fuel filters :)

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True that. I first put one on my 1969 Malibu in 1987! It was originally destined for a 1980 924.

7. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I have never thought cleaning did anything but delay a problem..

I replace...But that's just me..

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Tried using an air compressor and blowing them out?

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Replace them, the tubing doesn't cost much.You have no idea the crap and varnish you will find in there,I had my tank boiled out because the car had sat for over five years I ran a yard stick into the filler and it can out like soft tar.While the tank was out I capped off the line up at the fuel pump fitting and sprayed Berryman Chemtool in the line till it was full and let it sit 3 days.I put a coffee can under the fitting up front and blew the line out with the compressor by the tank,over a cup of nasty goo came out,so I bought the new lines.

10. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

Not much success with fuel lines, always wind up replacing them.
    Too much varnish or shellac like residue.

11. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Replace them, they are a lot cheaper in the long run.

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good advice!!!------Replace!!!!!!!

13. Domino

Domino

<style type="text/css"><!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I am going to share my experience. I tried to cheap out due to poverty and just blow the lines out on my Galaxie. It worked fine for about a week until something in the line broke loose and stopped it up. I would disconnect the line and blow it out and get anywhere from a week to six months out of it. It never left me stranded, but it was a pain to have to keep doing it. This time I am going to replace the line to prevent this in the future. I measured my car and 2 pieces of 60 inch line should do it. I will join them in the center with a coupler and call it done. I have spent too much time on this to get held up due to $12 worth of lines.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've cleaned out a couple by flushing laquer thinner through them. It's best if you can fill the line and let it set overnight and flush in the morning. That said it's always best to replace the line if you can.

Frank