Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thompson Products INC. Cleveland Ohio PICTURES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bab59

bab59

Does anyone know anything about this company Thompson Products INC. Cleveland Ohio. Or any knowledge on part numbers? I have two tie rod ends part numbers (casting on rod) 14SV111-F and 14SV112F. They are brand new in the tattered yellow and black box just wondering what they fit or if anyone on here has any use for them?:confused:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. F&J

F&J

it was THE biggest name in replacement parts, so someone should have a catalog here. whether they will look it up is another story :)

3. 201

Got to be guys on the board here that are retired from there. T-R-W was huge here in northern Ohio. All gone.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My aunt worked at Thompson Products, later know as Thompson Ramo Wollerige, aka TRW. They were a big presence in WWII aircraft and automotive components. There is a museum on the campus of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, The Thompson Auto / Aviation Museum. Reportedly they are liquidating their inventory and some priceless car and airplane specimens are going on the auction block. Pity.

P.S. to 201: I grew up in Chesterland.

5. bab59

bab59

Thanks for the information. Anyone have a catalog?

6. Post a picture of the tie rods....it may help. As far as Crawford, yep damn shame what they are doing to that musuem....I purchased alot from them myself...Inparticular an original McDonalds from East Cleveland....It was all in pieces and a pile...they said it was all there. Then I get a phone call a month or so later and they say they found the kitchen off site in a semi trailer....so I go look, they cut the padlock off the trialer(having no idea what really is inside) and open the door. Not interested in the circa 1987 kitchen, however, there is more structural alluminum including the front door! So I figure that I purchased the whole building so this stuff is part of the package deal, wrong, they want another grand because of the scrap value.....fuck them.

7. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I have an old Thompson jobber catalog....covers 1936-42 years only. It's a big two volume set that was used by a salesman. The parts are listed ONLY by mfr. Unless you had a clue what make (and they list MANY makes of cars and trucks) I wouldnt know where to start looking for those part numbers. There are probably 1000 pages in these two books. So.....any idea of make?

8. I am a volunteer at the Museum.

I am crushed. I had efforts on a few of these cars. The Balanger Special Indy Car I had worked on for over a year. I did all of the lockwiring on it too. There were only two of us that knew how too. S patterns etc all that Crap. I dissasembled and assembled all of the sheetmetal and belly pans on it. Helped with the engine assembly and located parts for it.

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=HF09&CarID=r110

I found aluminum castings for the Bugatti too.

Lots 601 - 625 are the Crawford Cars.

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarList.cfm?SaleCode=HF09

Sorry to hijack this thread. Just pissed.

9. bab59

bab59

Did they only make automotive parts or did they get involved in agriculture tractors etc.?

10. While contracted to White Motors as a mechanical designer TRW (Thompson) components were used in both their heavy trucks and their agricultural products so I would say YES. Aircraft components as well.

11. bab59

bab59

Here are some pictures: Anyone need them?
    [​IMG]

12. bab59

bab59

13. bab59

bab59

14. Is there a year date anywhere on the box? That might narrow it down. If anything it is a nice shelf display.

15. bab59

bab59

Nope no date. Just a good made in the USA part.

16. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

fyi,the number on the box will be the part #.
    The # on the tie rod is a casting # and not the same as a part #.

17. bab59

bab59

Yes, ink/stickers wont last that long on a seasoned box. No numbers on box

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they put out these little booklets back in the day. kind of useless... looks like they cut pictures out of the factory manual and made them.

Attached Files:

19. Tim Packard

Tim Packard

I also have a valve spring and cap from thompson products part number !-RC14B can anyone help identifiy it?

20. Silverado

Silverado

I came across two complete sets of high-quality Thompson Products lithographs. One set is of WWII-era racing planes and the other WWI-era dogfights.

21. rustytiffcarr

rustytiffcarr

Hey I am also looking for info on Thompson parts. Have a bunch in the boxes with part numbers visible. One in front of me is 6 V589. Trying to find out what they are for and how much they are worth. ??

22. mbgmike

mbgmike
    from Webster,Tx

this is an old post. but my grandpa and my uncles and cousins had over 200 years with thompson products. My Uncle Frank had 45 years making automotive valves. the entire family on my mom side worked their. 3 generations

23. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

If your relatives still have any of the Thompson/TRW automotive parts catalogs, it would be nice to save for the parts ID questions that come up all the time. We have some ols Thompson catalogs, but I'd love to pick more. PM me if they have anything they'd care to part with........Mac VP