Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear & Loathing DP90

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Fear & Loathing DP90

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Thanks for the info,i have a buddy who wants his hot rod detailed,i was stumped about what to do on the DP-90.Good timing:DIn 25 years of detailing,i've found many household items the best and cheapest.

3. That link got me all straightened out on how to get my Buick looking more like a Black Beauty and less like a Burnt Turd. Thanks Ryan and everyone in that linked post.

4. 53burb

53burb

And I spent 32 hours one time detailing out a '31 Plymouth? I should have used house hold Items like you!!!!!!!!! Ya never know what will work until you try it. By the way, the 32 hours was that being the car was never rubbed out before and needed a 5 stage on it. All by hand mind you! KNUX!

5. Damn, I bet your elbows are built to the hilt, 53burb.

6. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Wow, great advise, thanks alot.

7. 53burb

53burb

39lives. The bad part, I got 2 hours sleep and the car was going to a show that was outside and all this dirt was blowing....that was a waste. KNUX!

8. That Ryan guy is allways talking about that damn hamb-place, like he owns it or something, its sickening...

Kidding, good read as allways!

9. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

To keep the primer looking all the same, try some strong household ammonia and a towel. It seems to blend the color all the same.

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have a similar gas stain on some DP74 (red oxide) I might try this in a small area and see if I get the same results.

Thanks.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wrote this really late last night in between taking care of my sick little girl... Let me clarify... I used three products:

1. Scotch-Brite Easy Erase Pads (got them at the grocery store)
    2. Scotch-Brite Super Fine Scouring Pads (auto paint supply store)
    3. Griot's Speed Shine (over priced windex)

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

is there a product( wax or something? ) for primers and flat paint to protect it from the sun and fading?

13. i spose you are topping off the tank right to the tippy top all the time(someone who ran out before?)...
    ol biker types always have rag -towlels in hand while fueling..so drips and overfills are caught asap.. angle of nozzle is a good thing too. as the auto shut off feature does not splash fuel out..
    i ruined the whole side of my car by filling to the top and then parking in the sun as the fuel expanded it overflowed eating all the paint cap to the rockers ..
    glad you able to remove the stain and you did not need to fasten a batch of alliance tags to cover the area instead... hahah

14. Yep ... it's called PAINT :D

15. BELLM

BELLM

My coupe is in DP 90, I just fussed over bird crap, that being said I find it funny as hell that we, the anti -paint people, are so worried about how our primer looks.:D

16. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

It's comforting to see another Model A guy who's still using the stock cowl tank.

My '28 Woodie has a lot of stains on the 8 year old catalyzed DuPont Centari enamel. I'll give your method a try...but I should probably plan for a repaint. Lord knows that the hood deserves a redo...

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hope your little girl feels better real soon!

I've never messed with DP90, but good info for when I do, thanks!

18. primed34

primed34

I accidently got Simple Green on the DP 90 on my coupe,which caused a big time stain that I never got out. I've had my coupe in some type of primer for 23 years. Primers last three to four years before they go south. No big deal, just scuff them up,mask them off, and reprime.

19. DragUns35

DragUns35

i painted my 35 in 2000.... i was pretty bummed the first time it got rained on because it water spotted real bad... so i tried the lemon pledge.... i think it works great... kinda gives a semi gloss shine and almost acts as a wax, now water beads up on it... and the pleadge will clean off with prep sol... we had to re shoot a door on one of the roadsters, no worries.

Louis

20. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

You can get BIG cheap "white Scotch Brite" pads from a restaurant supply store.

They are used in hotels to scrub fine china without scratching the painted patern.