Register now to get rid of these ads!

metal shapers CHEAP english WHEEL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testpilot, Jan 7, 2007.

1. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

[​IMG]

Giant 27-3/4" throat capacity lets you fabricate compound curves on large pieces. Ideal for shaping, fabrication, smoothing dents or weld seams in fenders, hood and trunk panels.
    • Quick adjust lower anvil yoke for easy leveling
    • All steel construction
    • Will handle sheet steel to 16 gauge , copper and aluminum to 14 gauge
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Throat capacity: 27-3/4"; Welded frame: 4" L x 2" W x 1/4" thick; Includes: Top anvil: 8" diameter x 2" W top anvil, Lower anvile: 3" diameter x 2" radius with dual sealed ball bearing mounts (additional anvils in picture sold separately); heavy duty welded steel stand with four 1/2" mounting holes and anvil die storage; Maximum height: 5 ft. 3/16" H; Overall dimensions: 40-7/8" L x 34-1/2" W x 25-1/2" H[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 95359-0VGA[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

$I won't post the price but it's DIRT CHEAP

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ENGLISH WHEEL BOTTOM ANVIL DIES, SET OF SIX[/FONT] [​IMG]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    • 3", 4", 6", 8", 12" radius dies
    • Flat die
    • Precision machined steel
    • Heat treated
    • Rust protected with Cosmolene®
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    ITEM 95366-0VGA

$LESS THAN THE COST OF STEEL

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ENGLISH WHEEL TOP ANVIL DIE[/FONT] [​IMG]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    • 8" diameter x 2" wide
    • Precision machined steel
    • Heat treated
    • Rust protected with Cosmolene®
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    ITEM 95367-0VGA

$LESS THAN THE COST OF STEEL
    [/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT]Has anyone purchased or tried this unit YET .?

2. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

That sure is cheap for an english wheel. I'd like to know if anyone has tried it too.

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

yeah that is super cheap for a whole kit...maybe since it harbor f. you may have to do some remodeling on it to get it to work right

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

the price is $250. i don't know why testpilot wouldn't post the price.

i'm surprised the frame is actually made from 1/4" steel.

IF the anvils run true, it might be a really good deal, if the anvils are junk, forget it. depending on what i hear from the first guys who try it, i may get one, of course i know the first thing i'd do is beef up the frame some, but it may be a good starting point.

5. vette man

vette man

Yea !! that is real cheap!!! Ihave bought a good bit of tools from there most are a good value !! Adrill press i bought i use almost every day!

6. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Freekin sheet that is cheap. Doesnt look bad in the pics. I would be curious to hear if anyone has used this as well.

7. Looks worth checking out......Less cost than a good upper wheel and one anvil....

8. Wow, I might give it a go.

Even if its not...getting a better upper wheel would improve it alot.

my buddy bought one, not sure on the name brand, but it was complete crap. It creased the metal. It was at the HAMB chop to help on the roof. We opted to go with the old Gas Tank metal shaping trick.

Loosely made, and the wheels "walked" making the metal look terrible.

For $350 bucks...its worth a try. I might. :) Break out the Credit Cards!

9. sawzall

sawzall

I already have an ewheel..
    but I saw how cheap the lower anvils were and I ordered a set. they havent shown up yet..

but I hope to test the wheels out and report back soon..

sawzall

10. theSHARK

theSHARK

11. guys I'm sittin here studying this thing and wishin' my house was built so my ol lady wouldnt have a conniption when this thing landed on my doorstep. she's made some goofy rule about no projects until the project we live in is finished. sheesh. broads. eh?

I'm thinking some gussetting definitely for that upper anvil. I can just see that Chinese steel doing the twist like Chubby Checker. ez fix, way I see it. like was stated, I'd prolly put a nuther spine around what it has to keep its "pinch"

12. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I look forward to your report. I'm skeptical about their quality, but I'd love to hear what your firsthand experience is.

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I would also like to know. Normally I bypass Harbor Frieght tools but it seems like they are making a little better quality tools lately. I am in the market for these body tools and these prices really can't be beat. Looking forward to a report soon....

14. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Harbor Freight, the Walmart of tool supply. I'd rather shape metal with a rock than buy from them. If it seems too good to be true, it is, for one reason or another. Pay a fair price for labor and maybe in turn you will get a fair price for yours. What goes around, comes around and bites you on the ass....eventually.

For that price, you can get a good quality slapper and post dolly, and learn how to smooth metal first, then step up and buy a real english wheel, instead of a jump on the band wagon, knock off made by slave labor. Or keep buying from these assholes and that will be all that is left at some point. Ask me how I really feel.

John www.ghiaspecialties.om

15. lehr

lehr

You tell'm John !

16. synthsis

synthsis

First off, I hate WalMart. now that we've got that covered, Harbor Frieght is good for a couple things, the main of which is getting in expensive tools into the hands of those who want to learn. I'm just in my infancy of learning how to work on cars and I was lucky enough to get a nice set of Craftsman tool boxes from my mom for Christmas. chances are other than the tools that were given to me as gifts, the rest will be cheapy tools for now. It's going to help me get my feet wet in the whole experience. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to be getting one of these wheels but I am saying that HF isn't the worst thing in the world.

17. I'm ordering one today!

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

I'm also ordering one today. I called the store in Milwaukee this morning to see if they had them in stock but was told that was a online offer only. I was hoping to get it sooner seeing I was only going to be about a mile away.

19. OldSchoolObee

OldSchoolObee

I did the same thing..online only....seriously thinking about getting one......

20. Wow John.

I understand your feelings on the matter.

I have a boat load of HF tools, pheumatic and metal shaping (post dollies). I have not seen any issues with any of them thus far; as long as you dont abuse them... As for Hammers and hand tools...yes a big difference. I wont skip twice for a cheapie.

But, being on a strict budget, sometimes these are our only options for big machines. Yeah, it may take a little more "home" engineering to get them right, but were not up the creek $$$ wise for months to come.

I wish I could affort all the "fancy" USA made tools. Really. :)

21. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I gotta agree with Mr. Kelly on this. Trying to do good work with shit tools often results in tons of wasted time and effort. To me, that thing looks pretty flimsy on top, and I can imagine what the dies and roller will be like. Why not save your pennies and buy a kit to build your own?

22. Sure you can build you own, but the kits are still 3-4 times as much as this one.

Why not "modify" it to be stonger like most do here w/ the HF bead rollers. It was garbage out of the box, but w/ some creative bracing...it flies!

23. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Yeah, I guess you can modify the thing and make it work. But if the dies aren't true and the bearings tend to wobble a bit, it'll sure make things fun for ya'. Personally, I prefer to save my money until I can afford the good stuff.

24. slamdpup

slamdpup

i tried to pull up the link and it reads ..this item is not a valid item .. or something like that

25. rodknocker

rodknocker

i went out and paid $500 for a metalace benchtop english wheel to find out that i prefer a planishing hammer.To each his own but you might as well try something cheap to see if you're gonna have the interest to get a quality one later.

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

When you get to the not a valid item page, look on the left side and use either keyword or item #. I used keyword of english wheel then it appeared or you can use item #95359-ovga

27. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

My low budget rectangular frame e-wheel cost me about $375 if you leave out the extra lower anvils. One upper wheel, one lower anvil. Both 3" wide, will out perform any cheap narrow wheeled e-wheel going. I don't care how much time you spend on it or how many anvils it has. I would rather have one good lower anvil than all the garbage ones ever made. You will have a very difficult time learning with a cheap e-wheel. If you already have experience, you can make them work...albeit poorly. I have used a few cheap e-wheels, and it is like using a cheap body hammer and dolly. Unless you know what a good set can do, you may never know why you are not getting good results.

There are people who know how to use an english wheel, who spend their time teaching, explaining how to build your own, and making them for sale who really deserve the business. In other words, they have a real passion for metal shaping, not just profits at any cost. Kerry Pinkerton at:

www.wheelingmachines.com

is a prime example. I don't expect people to see this as the moral issue that I see it as, but if you think about where the money goes, and what conditions you would want your children working in, you may come around to my way of thinking at some point....or we can let the harbor freights and walmarts further monopolize, and crush small businesses, degrade worker's conditions here and elsewhere, and stifle the creativity of small businesses. It is our choice, a choice that becomes more important every year.

If we keep buying the cheapest shit available, that is all that will be left.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

28. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

Amen..............

29. loogy

loogy

Well said John, I totally agree!