Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Willys from the movie "Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacKid, Nov 22, 2006.

1. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay, so I did some searching and came up with zilch on this car. Anybody have any info on it? I've seen the movie more times than I can count now, and I've gleaned a wealth of knowledge about the car just from repeated viewings...info like straight axled front end, 426 Hemi powered, blue shag carpet, black front rims and daisy wheels on the back at the start of the movie and centerlines at the end when they stole Sonny Munn's wheels and tires.... But I was wondering Does anybody know anything more specific about the car(s)? I was told that they used 3 different Willys to make the movie...what happened to these cars? What was the difference between them (other than the obvious fact of one having a dropped axle in front)? All steel bodies? What rear end were they running? Wheel and tire brands?

I guess I just figured I'd ask because there has been quite a bit of discussion on here about other movie cars (Graffitti coupe, Two Lane Blacktop '55, etc.) and there hasn't really been much discussion about the infamous Willys. Also, I'm building a Willys coupe right now and I've been wanting to duplicate that killer grey one...Any info is appreciated! Thanks fellas!

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

I remember it got painted yellow with HOT ROD on the side in 12" high red letters and made some events.

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

One of the bigger street rod mags did an article on this several years back. I'm thinking it was Borgeson, but I could be wrong, but it was a major parts manufactuer that bought it and actually pro streeted it (tubbed and tucked)> I can't remember which mag, all I do remember was a few of us talking how sad it was that a car with history had to meet such a fate.

4. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Wow...that is a damn shame....kinda like what happened with the '57 from Hollywoood Knights...Project X and all...I loved that car the way it started out...yellow. no hood, blower...Done! :D Thanks for the info guys...keep 'em comin! :)

5. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

What a shame..... :(

[​IMG]

6. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Well the only difference with the 57 is that it was Project X before it was in the movies. I think it was Popular Hot Roddings project car for years. Well it was one of those magazines.

7. It is a really sad day if in fact that is the same car from the movie.

8. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Thats right...the Project X had about 3 or 4 rebuilds before it was ever in that movie. PHR bought it around 1967.

9. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I seem to recall Steve Castelli crashed a few years ago. I remember seeing video of it hitting the fence and flipping over. I don't know if he ever repaired it. Mike

10. I've talked with Steve Castelli about the movie car. He said there were 3 coupes used. One he purchased after the movie (yellow drag car), another was used for interior carmera shots & had the entire rear roof section removed for camera views. No info on the third coupe. Watching the HotRod movie, you can identify 3 different coupes. Hope your liking that willys coupe Steve, I sure miss it. My willys sedan is gonna be totally gangsta - thug though. Carl Hagan

11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

There used to be a company called Mullins that sold street rod steering components. The guy who owned that business had one of those cars and redid it. There was a feature of the car in Street Rodder, probably over 10 years ago.

12. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Right on Carl...glad you're digging the sedan...I miss that car too...Any luck with the registration?

13. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

14. I don't know what is worse, that it has been completely changed, or how tastlessly it was done. They may as well have started with a 'glass shell. Oh well, they bought a piece of history with their own money, I guess it's their right to ruin it.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

its not so bad...at least it wasnt crushed...maybe someday someone will put it back the way it should be..at least for now its being used..could be ALLOT worse...

16. Check the link in post #13, it would be very difficult to put it back. I sent the people a polite E-mail, I wonder if they will respond.

17. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

He's right, I scored some early 70's and late 60's Popular Hotrodding zines at Spoon river, and the Project X was in them. I remembered hearing that was a very old project car in the nineties and even remember some late 1980's features of the car.

18. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Mullins, thats it. Knew it was steering. Give me a break, I'm turnin 40 in a few months :D

19. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

One of my favorite scenes from that movie...right after the cobra walks TONY in traffic..Tony pulls to the red light. Up pulls the pigs.."Alright Pull it over a$$hole" Tony launches it and scares the crap out of the cop.
    Damn doing that today would get a good pistol whipping or a night stick rammed up your ass.

20. That's funny. I haven't heard the cops called "pigs" in a long time. Even though I have a few cop friends, that post still made me laugh for some reason.

21. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Don't feel bad, I think Borgeson bought Mullins.

22. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Bill Mullins did have one of the cars, and it was a total pos. He had Dominator Motorsports build a chassis for it, and a monster big block, then went racing. The car easily ran in the 8's, and with a milder big block, was street driven. The car was top shelf regardless of it's style of build. It was more legit race car than just another lame pro street car. The car was bought from Bill by Dave Addison, who sold it right away, and it has seemingly disapeared. And yes, Borgeson did purchase Mullins Steering gears about 5 years ago, and Bill currently is operations manager for RB's Obsolete.

falcongeorge likes this.
  23. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Ok, heres the real story direct from Bill Mullins. There were three cars, the one that Bill had was the car that was used in all the street driving scenes. The car at the time of filming had a 301 sbc & 4 speed, it had absoutley no floors, and a trunk lid that was about 1" thick with bondo.He bought it in 1990 for $3000. He paid $26,000 for body & paint work, and his comment was, that it was barely saveable. The engine he built for it was a 600" Rodek with two 1050 dominator carbs and dual stage nitrous. It's best time was 8:12 at 160 plus mph.
    The second car is the yellow one owned by Steve Castelli. That car had a big block with a 4 speed, and it was the one they used at the drag strip.
    The third car, and I can hear you guys already crying was the car they used to film the scenes with a couple sitting in the car makin out or whatever they were doing, and the film crew cut the roof off to be able to get the shots they needed! It wasn't a complete car, just a body sitting on a trailer, but still, why cut a perfectly good car. Bill doesn't know what happened to the remains of that one.
    Hope this answers all you questions.

24. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

So what was the story behind the Hemi? Was it actually in the Willys at all? Or did the movie makers just do that good of a fake job?

25. Ruiner

Ruiner

Come on Steve (or as Louver Dude would call ya, Jake), show us some damned pics of the sedan...I want to see what this pile looks like man...gotta get a good look at my competition for the HAMB Drags...hehehe

26. Jimv

Jimv

How did it look in the movie? was it the same? Any pics from the movie?
    JimV

27. alsancle

alsancle

Looks kinda the same?

Attached Files:

28. VespaJay

VespaJay

29. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

30. alsancle

alsancle

Thanks. I saw that site but the pictures were copywrited - don't ask me why I didn't figure out why the picture I posted was a new shot.