Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Car Photos from the Barry Mazza Collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rikster, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Barry Mazza - we all know him from the Herb Ogden/Pisana brothers 1941 Buick convertible restoration and the Barris Built Aztec restoration - has been so kind to share a large portion of his huge custom car photo collection with me. To be used on my Custom Car Photo Archive site. Well I created that site to share custom car photo's, and what better place to share this great collection of very unique custom car photo's from Barry's collection then here on the HAMB.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do.
    There are to many to post them all here, but at the end of the post there is a link to all Barry Mazza's albums on my site.

Thanks goes out to Barry Mazza for sharing these great custom car photo's

George Cerny's shop truck in front of his shop

[​IMG]

Lyle Lake with his just finished Barris custom

[​IMG]

Unique photo of Sam Barris with his 1950 Buick. Looks like Sam just spotted a slight wafe in the rear fender...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats Barry on the left chopping a 41 Mercury

[​IMG]

End result... could have rolled out of the Barris shop just as easy...

[​IMG]

Sam Barris 1949 Mercury... notice the Lincoln Pushbuttons in the door...

[​IMG]

And here the Merc with rounded hood corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snooky Janish 1941 Ford in its first smooth version.

[​IMG]

Buddy Alcorn with two tone paint at the Barris shop

[​IMG]

Before it was restored

[​IMG]

A few refelections... but still very intersting to see another color photo of Chuck DeWitt's Showbox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Quesnel's 1949 Mercury with fresh unfinished chop

[​IMG]

Bill DeCarr's 1941 Mercury he built for him self in the late 40's early 50's. Now the car is channeled and the removed several inches from the botom ...

[​IMG]

Herb Ogden Barris/Pisano brothers build 1941 Buick convertible... what a color...

[​IMG]

And Bill's Aztec as he found it....

[​IMG]

More photo's of the Barry Mazza custom car collection can be seen here:

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/barry_mazza_custom

2. KoppaK

KoppaK

I always look forward to your threads Rik, thanks.

3. Thanks for sharing Rikster. These are all great additions to THE BEST kustom picture archive on the net! Priceless...............E

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Very Kool..!
    Awesome lines on the '41 Merc.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Another custom car Barry built was a 1950 Mercury inspired by the Ayala/Barris Bettancourt Mercury.
    It was not ment to clone the car... so there are many details that are different like the flush skirts, extended hood, Buick side trim above the 52 Ford front wheel lips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has been sold several times... and somehow stories got mixed up and now it is known as a real Barris custom. Anybody has some recent photo's of it after this restoration?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Thanks Rik......and thanks to Barry Mazza!! Awesome!

7. Awesome pics, thanks.

8. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Isn't Cerny's wagon being restored as we speak? Seems to me I read his kids tracked it down and are restoring it.

9. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I agree ! I totally forgot to check those pics when you lately sent me the link ! You can't thank Barry Mazza enough for taking all those super cool pics and preserving them so well.Custom Car History,and in color.Wow...

10. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Rik, thank you, thank you THANK YOU for sharing these priceless photos with us HAMBsters. Thanks also to Barry for having the foresight to save all of those priceless originals. WOW!!! What more can I say?

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought that I was going to get something done today. Thanks to this post
    I'll be in Kustom dream land. Great post!!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Rikster, Thanks a big bunch for posting those fabulous pix. Hard to believe those days are really so historical. I am glad they are saved. jim

13. hershambob

hershambob

was tom hockers 40 coupe the one you see in one of the cruisn sceens in american graffitti??????????

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Love the pics...thanks for your hard work!

15. Rikster

Rikster

Yes they used the Barris built Tom Hocker 1940 Ford coupe in that movie... with quite a different paint sceme than most of us know it.

[​IMG]

16. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Rik for another customs post. You have an awesome collection of prints and a great knowledge of each car.

17. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

thakns for sharing those photos rikster!! awesome as usual.

_T

18. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Wow, don't think I've ever seen Bill DeCarr's 1941 Mercury before. That thing is SLICK!

Thanks to you and Barry for some new old pics to oggle!

19. Janne

Janne

20. 00 MACK

00 MACK

One very interesting that even Rikster might not have niticed is the Harry Bradley designed scoops that went around the Lincoln buttons in the doors. This is when Harry was hangin around the Drivib Deuces which Tommy Lee was a member of. I grew up seeing these pics at barrys house back when we lived up north. I havent looked at them since I was 12

21. I love that pic of the car cover pulled back. OK, I lied, I love them all. Thanks for posting.

22. Rikster

Rikster

Hey Anthony. Indeed I had not noticed Harry Bradley designed scoops around the push buttons on Sam's Merc... I noticed there was something there but had no idear those where scoops. Very intersting. I knew Harry Bradley was involved in some of the restyling of Sam's Merc when Lee owned it.

I just got in a few new photo's from Barry and thought I share a few more

The 41 Buick with the George Barris applied Candy red when Herb Ogden still owned the car.

[​IMG]

Dream Truck and Kopper Kart

[​IMG]

Bugarin's Mercury with quad headlights with some engine trouble

[​IMG]

23. Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Rikster you rule BIG time!!

24. got a real close look at this 40 one winter by Big Bear Lake. my buddy from sweden was pissed at all the stupid americans that didn't know how to drive in snow and stopped in the traffic lane to chain up he drove thru the slush in the center to keep moving and imediately stopped as this 40 slid into us head on at a about 5 mph. damage was slight but he was not happy as Sven tried to pull off his dumb swede that didn't speak english act that work most often. I said nothing!

25. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

Truly amazing pictures. I had the honor of seeing the Aztec in person on Mother's Day down in West Palm Beach, FL. What a gorgeous masterpeice.

26. TommyNailhead

TommyNailhead

Yes Cerny's wagon was/is being restored by his son Larry. I know he had plans to reveal it in Paso but I don't know how close he is to being done.

27. Johncovert

Johncovert

Hey guys.....thanks to Rikster and OOMack and about an hour of blowing up two pictures and comparing notes, I believe I own the 41 merc that Barry Mazza did such a beautiful job on. Its now purple and has a few changes (studebaker taillights for example) but has still pulled trophys in every car show ive been in......If anybody has more pictures or more history, Id love to hear it......John[​IMG]

StrickV8 likes this.
  28. Rikster

Rikster

When I first saw your avatar I went for your photo album and started to wonder if it could be the same car... I did not have time to compare the two right then.
    There are some photos missing from this thread.... I might ad them back on later if I have some time. But I think I had not posted this one.

[​IMG]

And another one I found online recently... forgot where.... most likely here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  29. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

wow, neat to see the back of that '41 Merc...radical chop, but nice flow. I like it!

30. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Nice history, thanks for sharing