Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adriatic Machine, Oct 6, 2012.

1. weldtoride

weldtoride

Ouch! tough fees. Looks like a great start, keep up the good work. Agree on the pex in the floor, used boilers show up reasonably when you start asking around. Just don't let on to the county you are planning heat.

Had a much lesser fee here, but a totally crazy time at the zoning office, wrong guy was up when my turn came, it seems.

Built mine with walls higher than norm and a steep roof pitch, came in just barely under the code height....

Loft went in after the final inspection. Good place to store stuff I thought I wanted at the time. In retrospect....

I have often head "no matter how big you build, it will be too small too soon."

2. It was a drizzly Friday early evening on Deer Park Ave .... if your window had been open I was gonna say "nice el camino"....

Bob

3. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

3200 not bad I'm over 4k for the required variance requirements and it's not even approved yet.

4. If you go with the in floor heat you must know that you must put down 4" foam first. And if you are going to put in a hoist you should pore footings. Just my 2 cents been in construction for most of my life.

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Like outlaw256 I live in the Country and we have no fees. Don't even need a permit. Another reason to not live in the city.

6. Come to California if you want to waste money on building ... and that is if you dont have to cut down a tree or your neighbor doesnt protest!

... good to see somebody living a dream!!

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put radiant floor heat in my shop, and instead of a purpose built boiler, I just installed a second 40-gallon gas water heater in the basement of the house, specifically for the shop heat. My shop is adjacent to the house, so it was not big deal to get the heated water from the house to the shop, plus I don't have a flame in the shop. Old cars sometimes tend to leak things, and if that leak is gasoline, the vapors hug the floor, which is normally where the water heater pilot and burner are.
    Leak, vaporize, ignite, BOOM!!!.

Not a possibility I wanted to deal with.

8. Spork!

Spork!

I have an acre of land here in So Cal. I want to build a 40 X 60 with no variances required. $3500 for permit! Sh!t, they want $850 for a permit to put up a garden shed! The frigging permit costs more than the shed!

Just another government money grab so you build something on your own frigging land.

9. This is one thing I miss about TN where I was born and raised. An earlier post stated CO being a pain to build and that sure is true. I'm working in a 1-car garage. Well that's where my tools are anyway. Most of the time I work in the driveway but the weather is usually nice enough to do so.

10. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

x2!!!!

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

My permit fees were 1550 or so but I have no living space and no water to it. But a house is in the 15K range I guess.

IT does get small quick if you want to really work out if it. By the time I have tools around the perimeter and what not it seems a little tight at times, BUT way better than the alternative.

[​IMG]

Mine is 32 w and 30 d with 13'7 interior h

12. I'm sorry, where you saying something? I was distracted by the photo in your avatar..................;):D

13. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Hey A Rodder, nice garage and wow, nice iron.

14. ChefMike

ChefMike

Some day i would love to be were you are right now I work out of a tent ! hey it works !

15. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Chef Mike don't feel bad, I've been working out of a trailer for 4 years now. For three years before that I had nothing.

16. injunjoes

injunjoes

nothing like having your own place to work, love the ranchero btw

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

$3200.00 for nothing. got to love that.

18. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I live in the country as well so no fees. I built a 40x40 a few years back and its already so full you have to turn sideways just to get through it. My Dad always said "build it twice as big as you think you need and maybe you can get by with it"....He was right.

19. cakes

cakes

Awesome, I have a good bit of history in Brookhaven. Show some progress pictures!!

20. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Update on the garage, finally got the lumber dropped off. The builder ran the plate material etc all around the perimiter, then it started raining.

Attached Files: