Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. I really like your work. Very nice and thought out. I don't know about you but I have just as much fun thinking/planning out my next task as I do actually completing the task.

2. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks but you spoke too soon Rob. That last post is as far as I've gotten. Double flare tool broke about then and I entered one of those "life gets in the way" car-building funks that I'm stuck in (and don't see a way out any time soon). Lord knows, you know what I'm talking about.

I will when I get back at it Jim.

The ciphering is a fun part of the process to me too, David.

Thanks for asking, see comments above.

4. gsport

gsport

Yeah, I was wondering how the build was going too.

5. BrerHair, where did you get all of your brake line parts? Did you order a "kit" somewhere or did you just pick up the parts at an auto parts store. The reason I ask is I'm nearing the point of running new brake lines on the '48 F4 I building and I've been trying to figure out what all I need to put together the brake lines.

thanks
    David

6. repeater

repeater

Wow! I just read over the build for the first time this morning and wanted to tell you...very impressive. Great that your kid's learning so much too as you go along. A couple things....1 - Very impressed with the welding just using a simple flux-core. I remember learning on one of the suckers...they definitely make you a better welder! 2, noticed the super-awesome Harbor Freight self-darkening welding mask (the blue flame one). I've had mine for close to 9 years now and it still works like a champ - has to be one of the best buys I've had from HF. Just curious - you rarely see someone put so much work and time into a 4 door - I think this is really cool, I was just wondering if your intention when you started searching for a car was a 4 door, or was it just impulse at the time? Sorry if you stated this somewhere in the thread before, I just looked over the pictures and narrative of them quickly. At any rate, awesome job. You should really be proud so far!

7. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

you have no ide how much i benfit from your pictures in your thread, got my 49 chevy here the other day, and i have no idea what the former owner have been up to, its welded all over and i can`t say it`s beacuse of rust, cause there`s wery little, but i guess they`we havent braced up the chassie before they started cutting, that have resulted in a twisted body, the doors doesnt fit the door jam, they have made the floor bracing that doesn`t mach the original ones, so it`s low in one spot and way to high in the other,and so on.
    so i guess the only place i have as an referance point is the b-pillar and some holes in the floor that bolt on to the frame. so by looking at the pics of your work, it gives me an idea how it`s sopose to look, so thanks brerhair for a superb thread :))

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right back at you Jim, last I saw you were installing the radiator?

"Street Rod kit" from InLine Tube: 3/16" SS pipe w/flared fittings, like 5 pcs 5 ft. long, something like that, $ 125 I think.
    SS braided 16" lines (to calipers) from Chassis Engineering Inc.
    Rubber hose (to rear axle) and misc. fittings from local parts store.

Thanks. OK, here's the long answer. I have no natural bias against 4 doors. Grew up in the 50's and 60s and we almost always had a 4 dr. Think the first 2 dr our family had was my Mom's '66 Satellite. Just never have had a feeling that a 4 door was undesirable. 3 kids at home, back seat has always been important, so getting in & out easily is important also.
    I get it, a 2 dr hardtop looks best; 2 dr with B pillar looks 2nd best; and so forth. There was really no bias one way or the other when we chose this car. The main thing at the time was price, my 13 year-old son (Billy is now a freshman at UNC-Greensboro) only had $ 400 to his name, and I wanted him to feel like the car was his, so we were looking for something 400 or less. I know, I paid 850 to have this 395 dollar car shipped to us, but there it is. Hindsight? Would have done it differently, but here we are.

So glad to hear you say that, it is precisely for this reason that I decided to go the long route and post every little thing. I have often second-guessed that decision (Geez, who cares?), so thanks, glad it helps. Good luck with your 49.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. gsport

gsport

i havn't done much lately.. i did try my hand at cutting and rewelding the drive shaft.. after reading and watching the Sunday auto shows thought i'd give it a try. the way they said to do it, only maybe 1 in 10 might need rebalancing.. we'll see when i get it back on the road.. i also just ordered a wire harness, shifter, and throttle pedal and linkage for it...

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

this is do cool!! me and my dad are restoring a 49 chevy 4 door to be my first car and im a freshman in high school so i can relate to your guy's experience. good luck!!

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been glad to see you making progress Jim.

Thanks, I recently subscribed to your build. Good luck to you!
    Our project is hold due to finances mostly. Hope to be able to get back at it by next summer.

12. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Read the hole thread today,great work mate and fun to see the kids helping you out.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Caught up on the last "few" pages of your build Brer...and kept wondering if your son was still as excited as he first was...??? Then I see a pic of him and the question was partially answered...

It's not an easy task taking a car off the frame, but it is a great learning experience...especially doing the same things twice, three times and sometimes even more to get it to your satisfaction (I know, I've been there-many times) ...and in all probability your son will now understand how much work goes into ANY car at events you to go to...

My bro and I are now working on a '60 Chevy two door wagon...and when we get down the road farther, perhaps I'll put up another build thread...

The car is looking good...stay at it...good luck...

R-

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Humbled that two great builders would take the time to post here, thanks guys.

Martin, you rule. Thanks.

Thanks Roger. Please post the build thread, yours are as entertaining as any! And the results are award-winning!

Billy is a freshman at UNC-Greensboro and has a girlfriend at Elon not far from him. He is still enthused with the idea, has no interest now in the work. But I really enjoy the work, for me it is fun.

15. Billy is a freshman at UNC-Greensboro and has a girlfriend at Elon not far from him . Time waits for no one . The young fella is now where we all where at his age . Girls , Girls , Girls . Everything else just falls away . The circle of life !!!

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF that was directed at me...I thank you for the compliment but I'm not a great builder...I'm just a backyard garage kinda guy and I just happen to know what I like and know how to get there, even tho it does take some time to get there...I pale in comparison to other builders here on the HAMB...

R-

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Got any fresh project pics?

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You nailed it Andy!

You are a humble man, my friend. You are a great builder.

Sorry Finn. Life shit, finances, new job, blah, blah . . . I will persevere, I will get her done, I am committed. Thanks for asking. :)

19. Keep it up Jimmy, you will get there.

I still need to get by there to see your project in person. Merry Christmas

20. 54LedSled

54LedSled

This is an awesome build! Great Work, keep it up! Subscribed.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please do. Merry Christmas Rod!

Thanks

22. gsport

gsport

patiently waiting for those progress reports..... i know, family first.. but i can still wish, can't i?? it's always a good read when you post up-dates.

23. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

BrerHair, Yeah, yeah, I know I've been lurking here for a long time lol. I've only now got serious about working on my own Fleetline and, started actually doing something. Decided reply to you on your thread instead of fitzee's to keep my "hijacking" to a minimum and spread out over other threads lol. I've subscribed to your thread as soon as I found it and figured out I could do that. Thanks for your welcome and, good luck with your buid!

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The life issues seem to come like a sine wave. Riding a crest now. Thanks for hanging in there Jim (and everyone else).

I lurked here for a long time also, just thought I had nothing significant to add. Felt like I was sneaking into the back of a classroom in the middle of the discussion.

Good luck with your Fleetline John, and thanks!

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Awsome! Reminds me of when my dad gave me his 72' GMC and helped me restore it when I was 15.

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I laughed like crazy seeing you drive that frame! You are a crazy truck building kid! Love what you've done with your GMC. Thanks man.

27. d149chev

d149chev

this is awesome. I wish my dad was still around to work on classics with me. here is a pic of the 52 fleetline deluxe which was the last car me and my father put on the road before he passed and my 49 styleline deluxe he gave me when I was 11. still have both cars. keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

28. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

I spent $45 for a hinge removal tool !! What the hell was I thinking?? i guesss I need to re tool !!

29. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

How ya doing man? My aunt said there was snow in York today, hope You're keeping warm!

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky you, some of the best father/son bonding material in the universe. Fleetlines are the top of the heap. Thanks.

Ignorance is bliss (talking about me). :)

Yep, got about 2" yesterday. Seemed strange to get snow and not have my three kids run out the door to make snowmen and play. Gents, they ain't little for long! Post toasty, thanks.