Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Rad Shell Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gypsy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

How many of you have put 32 Ford Rad Shells on 33-34 Fords? Got any pictures? Let's see them!
    Thanks guys

2. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

I've not seen many,i do remember a couple on carnut.com

3. F&J

F&J

There was a recent pic thread on just that.

I think the title was "32 on 34" ...or ask FalconGeorge, he will know.

4. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

5. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

Looked at that thread, not many pictures. Where are all the pictures?

6. flatford39

flatford39

If your avatar is an example I can see why there aren't alot of pictures. It just doesn't look right. The proportions are all off. You have a nice looking car there but the deuce grille doesn't look right in my opinion.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^and awaaaay we go...:rolleyes: and Frank, I have rounded up a BUNCH of of pics in the last couple days, just havent had time to get them on my computer and get them posted. To avoid a whole new outpouring of BS from the HAMB history revisionist brigade, I will send the OP a link to the original thread once I throw some more pics up. Hell, most of these guys wont like the pics I post anyway, they are from the fifties/early sixties. None of these guys want to look at that stuff. Hell, some of them even have cycle fenders on them, and NONE of them have vega steering boxes, a BLATANT violation of the HAMB code...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. Great looking car.

It may be the slope of the chop and the angle of the door line are clashing with the vertical line of the grill shell.

Do you guys think sectioning the grill shell to take some of the scale out of it? Maybe laying it back slightly?

9. F&J

F&J

That "was" done a LOT back in the day, not so much today, as everybody wants to do restorations nowadays :D That look, when done right with everything that goes with an old time build, looks so hardcore, no-shit hotrod to me....and George, too.. ;)

Or, lets all build identical 32 highboys with fake Halibrands running 4.75s and 7.50s..:rolleyes:

Sectioning, Yes, but they don't need a lean. The car I remember the most, ended up in my old town about 40 years ago; a locally famous early 50s show/drag 33/4 coupe, heavy chop/channel, called the ICE BOX. It had a radically sectioned 32 shell with...., a chromed spider web grille insert. :) That car was pure hotrod, totally badass. Started with a chromed up early Caddy motor then a chromed nailhead. There is a small rear view pic in that book, but i can't find a front pic anywhere.

You need to look for old pics or pics of old builds. A hamber was so generous to send me a copy of the New England Hotrod History book called "Cool cars and square rollbars". There are quite a few in there, but I can't copy the pics due to copyrights.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  10. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

The rad shell was moved forward and changed to a 32 many years ago as it was an old race car with a blower and the blower drive pulleys interfered. I grew up on the east coast and there were many 33-34's that ran 32 shells. I think that the original 33-34 shells do not look right on a radically chopped and channeled car unless they are drastically laid back to match the A pillars.

11. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

Tried uploading a larger picture

12. Here's a photo taken at a car show in 1961 of Rick McMichaels Cad powered 34 coupe.

I believe this car is still around.

Mick

Attached Files:

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have rounded up a few more pics, still hunting through my excessively large, totally dis-organized magazine collection looking for more. One problem i keep having, in the process of looking for '33-'34 pics, i keep finding stuff that is pertinant to other threads I have seen, so I keep getting sidetracked posting that stuff. At the same time, I am working a full time job, being daddy to a 3 yr old (and trying to teach her how to tell the difference between a duece and a t-bucket, kettering cad and sbc ect) re-wiring/installing new lighting in my shop(still not done!) trying to get around to fixing the pressure switch on my compressor (got that about 3/4 done before I got sidetracked) and working on my chevy II. I WILL get back to it, hope to at least get a few up this Sunday. Plus I dont have a scanner, so i shoot photos of the original pics with a digital camera, which means I cant do it at night, as there is not enough natural light to get a decent pic. Oh yea, and now the drill press is on the fritz, so...

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I think the Road Agents 33 or 34 club car had a 32 shell. Channeled body with a hemi.
    Sorry, but I couldn't find a pic of it.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

How about this one... hardcore no-shit hot rod enough for ya Frank?:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sVijPK-Rqdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robby's car is an old east coast build... been updated with an ally BBC and stick... yes, he's completely nuts.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool. Good thing he wasn't on the roof of the Peterson Bldg. But, I guess those spectators are far enough away.:rolleyes:

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I stand behind one of the LARGE trees that line this road during this event.:D:D:D

18. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

Here's a better picture

Attached Files:

19. Here's one

Attached Files:

20. F&J

F&J

Andy, you said it. But see what i mean by the whole build in old style to make it work for older guys like me? It works for me because I actually saw the past...and my memory has not gotten so bad to pretend it never happened. That coupe is "tits". Does not really matter if it had a motor upgrade, the "oldness" still shows bigtime.

21. swissmike

swissmike

Just because half of today's kids wear their pants around their ankles doesn't make it right ;-)

22. I am just going to come out and say it!
    Falcongeorge is my favorite HAMBer!!!!!!

That footage is nuts!

23. flathead okie

flathead okie

If someone, not a rodder, witnessed that, they would think all rodders are that ignorant, not only driving?? their rods like an idiot around people, but standing there trying to take a pic of someone doing it.

24. touring20

touring20

Paint the deuce shell to match the car , and ENJOY ! If you like it run it !

25. F&J

F&J

Just my opinion. I honestly thought it was a glass car, color, and as some other parts of it look like what they do sometimes.

For the 32 shell to look right, it needs to be on an old build style, or you'll get slack from the modern builders. On an ancient build, they don't dare dis it. :D

26. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

Just because half of today's kids wear their pants around their ankles doesn't make it right ;-)

Amen!

27. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

No glass here, it has all 3 hinges on the doors, it was chopped very early in it's life and was ran on the track for a very long time. had a crude set of hairpins on it that were suspect and I replaced them and set it up to drive the wheels off it as I drive it a lot. It had small Airheart disc brakes and a chute on it originally.

28. F&J

F&J

I say run the 32 shell with pride. Get a couple of the old pics of how it was back then, for all the piss and moan types at shows, or even here:D. A little dose of STFU. :cool:

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wasn't me that posted the footage, it was thunderbirdesque. Cant take credit for that one...:eek:

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, I WILL get some pics up on that other thread THIS WEEKEND, I promise!