Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Surfing In Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Okay Just One More Story:
    Aw com on! Tell them about the time Beaser brought his "big GT" as he referred to it and did wheelies for the crowd. Tell them what it said on the back of the Track truck.
    Tell them about Beaser's Bash.
    Dont quit now. Lots of stories from that place. Twas a great place never short on excitement.
    Murray Wilson. yup There is a name from the past.
    You know I think i have an original poster here for the track. I will look.
    Don

2. Hey Don....you should be very proud of Harvey........your Dad was one of those unsong drag racing hero's that helped to get the sport off the ground and running in Ontario.

3. Thanks for the update brother.......you know, were forgetting that it was at Mohawk that Scott Wilson in his "Time Machine" dragster set the 200 mph mark on Canadian soil in 65 I believe.

4. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Thanks dude. needed that this week. that went together like pb&j

5. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Watched in my bathrobe, with a cup of coffee, and a hang-over on a rainy NYC morn. Thanks Brother!

6. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Pic of Scott Wilson Car in background of this shot from Mohawk 1966 Got a ton more from Mohawk of that era. Lots of A/FX cars etc.

Attached Files:

7. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Okay The Last Short Story: "The Canadian Indian, Bob Beazer"

The "Canadian Indian" who started all NHRA National events in the 60's and 70's until Mrs. Parks fired The Beez" (as his friends would call him) due to a rained out event after The Beez performed his rain dance. (I guess Mrs. Park's believed 'The Beez' could actually prevented it from raining)

Anyways, before the 'Canadian Indian' personna came into being, 'The Beez' ran drag cars with the usual breakage. Well one week end 'The Beez' broke his drag car and was not able to repair the damage in time for the week end drag races. 'The Beez', who was the owner/operator of a fleet of Ford garbage trucks, decided to take one of his new trucks, drag racing. What The -------

Well 'The Beez' just had to get lift, so he loaded railway ties in the rear hopper, rev'ed the shit out of the 460 and dropped the clutch. Well, 12" of air under the front tires and a picture on the front page of National Dragster, if memory serves me right that was the magazine.

Well the next trip to the Ford dealership for warranty service, the Ford dealership kindly explained no more drag racing using his truck, as Ford would no longer warranty the service..... However; Ford honored the present warranty claim as they recieved so much good publicity with a Ford Truck on the cover of National Dragster pulling a wheelie...

The Big "GT"....

Debbie Banks likes this.
  8. Your the Man!
    I remember one too. It was when Ernie was still running the track. Back when straw bales were considered safety barriers. I got there early that day and Beez was walking around rather stiff and bandaged. I asked what happened.
    "Well ," he said,"We were dropping of straw bales with the old track truck. "I was sitting way up high on the pile as they were piled higher than the cab . I hollered to Ernie who was driving to turn. Well he turned alright and bales and me on top of them came down and skidded along the pavement."
    Bob was pretty sore and scrapped up too.
    That is the nice thing about the Beez. Excitement just follows him around. (Still)
    BTW on the back of the old track truck it said. "If you can't pass this. Try ExLax!"
    I suspect also the Beez's doing.
    Don
    Didn't find the Mohawk poster yet but found some early 70s Cayuga stuff.

9. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Poster like this one?

Attached Files:

10. Well no I dont have that one.
    The one I have has Thumper, Gentle Benn (Like he was ever gentle , HA) and maybe Midnight Oil or Percy Also.

11. OMG, talk about memories like when we'd all pile in somebody's shoe box Ford or my own '51 Vicky and head up to Anoka or down to Waterloo to the drags!

12. Frank K

Frank K

Thanks, good stuff. Never raced at Mohawk but racing with ONDR this Sunday at Shannonville...Frank Kunkel
    [​IMG]

13. Hope to see you there Frank. I am going down tonite for a little test and tune and will be there tomorrow as well.
    Don

14. Just a little note about Mohawk dragstrip . It was a great time and I was there young as I got into ordering , and importing the trophies and other stuff we needed thru a broker from the states when I was a teenager . The bag of money was a couple years later as I figured a young lad on the street with a money box was a little obvious so a brown paper lunch bag worked well . Wally.

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hello Wally, I see you dug up an old post about you ! Great some younger fellows such as yourself have finally stopped lurking and began to post your stories... Ha Ha Ha....

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hi Wally..glad your here.

17. Just had to play the video again for the music. So laid back.

18. sport fury

sport fury

when i saw the word "surfing" in this post the first thing that came to mind was the movie "big wednesday". i concider this movie to be the surfers american graffiti. even some cool old cars in the movie.

19. 51stylelinedeluxe

51stylelinedeluxe

love the music as well! who is it?

20. iron head

iron head
    from port perry

Ah those were the days nutin to do lets go racin then go drinkin