Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Knott Farington's Hel's Angle '56 Bird, it's last year on the salt. One of the most beautiful cars to ever run Bonneville. Doesn't show in the B&W pic, but the paint was a gorgeous deep candy red. The entire car was detailed like an AMBR winner. The car was named for his wife, Helen.

The 427 in Joe Walden's Bird belonged to Verne Houle, a long time friend, and employee of Bill Stroppe. Verne actually drove Joe's Bird on the salt. First 200mph run, the rear window blew out of the top. Completely un shaken,Vern said, "OK, I guess there is too much pressure inside the car". Made the rest of the runs without the rear glass, and it went faster. Verne was about as laid back as they come.

Attached Files:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The early Birds are some of my favorite looking cars. They might have not been the greatest of cars, but they sure looked good. Gary

3. deadbeat

deadbeat

If you are a big person sure as shit you cant drive them comfortably.Cant really see what all the fuss is about,but chicks really dig em! Down here they fetch HUGE money but im lucky cause my doll has a 63 & she is happy,,deadbeat

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  4. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

What you mean big guys can't fit in em?
    [​IMG]
    This guy fits just fine in his 63 and he looks comfortable?:D

droppedstepside likes this.
  5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[QUOTE Ryan) That aside, there are a couple of vintage examples I really love. The first is Doane Spencer’s rarely photographed and rarely mentioned ‘55. It was built to be a street cruiser, B-Ville streaker and a road course straightener and did all in style with a slammed stance and Halibrand knock-offs. I searched the world over for an image and couldn’t locate one. If you’ve got the goods, post it as a reply.[/QUOTE]

Iv always for some reason had a thing for all things Doane Spenser.
    Iv also looked and looked for photos of that car.
    I remember the bird being in a Hot Rod feature and I spent many hours lookin at that one.
    I’m surprised TRJ hasn’t done a full story on the man.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Scumdog

Scumdog

I've got a '66 - most people look at it and say "Wottisit, who makes it?"

Not many non-car people down here know what a T-bird of any sort looks like.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I know this is an old thread but what the hell ...do you know if this ' Bird still exists??

8. toml24

toml24

Early Thunderbirds seen at the Barrett Jackson Orange County 2010 show.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This is a very longshot butI bought this T-bird from John Fabella of Corona NY he raced it all its life. The picture is from 64 (I think) at Westhampton Dragstrip. It had a Nailhead in it by this time pictured is a young Henry Wilko driving, Johns nephew Ronnie Famigletti(sp) also drove and they all worked on the car. I bought the car from John around 1973 and by that time it had a one piece fiberglass tilt nose, Willys chassis and front axle and a ladder bar set-up that was more like a torque tube with the driveshaft through it. These guy were talented and even made their own hilborn style injectors for the Buick motor. I sold the car to someone from Old Bethpage LI NY it was Blue w/ no lettering. I would like to know if the car is still around, any pictures etc. It was pretty much a race car by this time73/74 so I dont think it went back to stock.

Thanks Guys and Girls

Pat

Attached Files:

10. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

That was the Cannon-Chriman Thunderbird, it was on the cover of the January 1958 Hot Rod Magazine. I was lucky enough to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, in 2008. We took several top fuel cars including two of Chrismans, I told Art I always loved that car and he said, why don't you build one. 3 years later I took his advise, it will be a tribute car not a replica, The engine has the old style Hiborns, but now have electronic injectors, the original car was a stick , mine is using a modern L460 I auto. I hope to have it completed and sorted out prior to a March event where Art attends and usually brings the Husler that he and Frank Cannon build, using the engine out of the T Bird. I would post some photos but have figured how to that yet

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Since this thread has reappeared, I'll mention that the Doane Spencer 'Bird is in the Petersen collection now. It's not currently on display, but it is in the vault.

12. Jimv

Jimv

The 2 seaters are such beautiful looking cars, the lines are perfect, performance wasn't bad & they were very simple cars.
    Biggest problem with the ones that are around now are the owners!!lol
    Saw this "re-pop" at lead east.Nice car.
    JimV

Attached Files:

harleyddad and droppedstepside like this.
  13. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

Hemi Thunderbird Allmost finished with the Cannon Chrisman Tribute Should be on display at the Winternational with the Cannon Chrisman Husler dragster

Attached Files:

14. That looks sweet!

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Heard from a guy at Rhinebeck this month that the car was at the Charlotte GG as a street rod, anyone else know about it.

Thanks, Pat

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love them…specially F-code…. CA0812-138337_4.jpg CA0812-138337_9.jpg CA0812-138337_7.jpg CA0812-138337_10.jpg CA0812-138337_8.jpg

17. Don't know why I didn't answer this before?? What the hell, better late than never.

yes, Hel's Angel is still with us. After it's last run on the salt in the 60's, Knott parked it in his warehouse in Louisiana, It was rolled out a few years ago for some photos. It looks exactly like it did the last time it ran. It's showing some age from sitting for 50 years, but still looks good. With a fresh coat of paint, it would still be stunning today.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I LOVE them! Make mine a '55 with a set of Halibrand knock off Sportmags and either white or black. We'll work out power train and details later!

I have never owned one, but I did do an apprenticeship at a shop here in Phoenix in the early eighties where the main line was 2 seat 'Bird resto, so I drove lots of them. The boss, Mike Wood, made me an offer that did more for my life with girls than almost anything since. We had a very nice flame red '57 that was a shop car - sometimes loaner when others had their car in with us. The vast majority of the time it was a parts runner. The offer was simple "If you have a hot date and the car is around, use it! Just make sure it's got gas when you bring it back..." Do you have any idea what kind of power over the fairer sex is wielded when you roll up to pick her up in that? Years 17 and 18 were quite "productive" in my life, shall we say! Mike still wins "Best Boss of all Time" awards in my book.

Another little bit with these. Since our customer base was best described as upscale, most had many hobbies beyond their 'Birds. Many treated them in sort of Faberge Egg mode and would drive them short distances, wipe them off and pose next to them. Every year, there was a National event for T-Bird guys at the London Bridge in L.H.C., AZ. about 200 mile from Phoenix. Most wanted to attend, but most had no desire to actually DRIVE their car that far. Car transport wasn't really a common thing at that time, so one of our clients made me a deal. He would pay me to drive his car to Havasu, Then meet me there in his private plane and fly me back to Phoenix. HELL YES! Then he stood up in front of his local T-Bird club and explained that he had this guy that would provide this service - and suddenly we had 10 guys that wanted this done! I ended up doing this both ways for all ten. It took about three days out, and about three days to move them all back after... The boss was absolutely pleased at how his customers were being catered too, and I made a ton of bucks for my pocket. I did this deal for three more years. 'Course, as uncomfortable as these cars are, I couldn't walk for about a week after!

Last one. These things SUCK for anybody over 5' 5" to drive. They really do. Your legs stick straight out with no support, the wheel sits right in your lap, and there is almost no foot room, especially when you factor in a manual trans. We had a customer that had to have topped 6' 4" and went about 260 or so. His ride was an avocado green '57.... With, wait for it, a Dodge 426 Max Wedge and four speed! Complete with an earlier cross ram that put the carbs out into the fender wells! How that guy ever fit in that thing with the top on is still a mystery to me, yet I saw him as recently as about ten years ago caning the damn thing around town.

Ya, I've got some history with these things. Someday I will have one.

Sharpone and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Annette Funicello liked her 57. e6823b5ea707f6748b4f0384ddc891c7.jpg

Gasser 57, jaracer, UNCLECHET and 5 others like this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Total love of early 55 to 57 Birds here,I never tryed to over antulyz them as some seem too,there just raw good looks n very cool cars. I was even lucky enough to get sexy Bird valve covers way back for my Y-block powered hotrod { the best design ever of any valve cover look there ever was or is! max cool next best I think is early Vett finned very cool as well,
    And by the way if you really check these older then the Chevy V8 design Ford 272/292 n 312 Y-blocks kicked Chevy v8 265, 283 ass tell 1958, I loved my Chevys too,raced them for 40 years n won lots,but always towed my Chevys to the track with a Ford so I'd get there{a little jab 4 those that just like it!

21. upcanhr

upcanhr

IMG00177-20110618-0943.jpg IMG00209-20110703-1405.jpg IMG00209-20110703-1405.jpg IMG00209-20110703-1405.jpg View attachment 2624806 my 55 tbird hot rodded in 57 with 368 lincoln y block front bumper looks similar simards and has merc wagon tailights as his

Gasser 57, UNCLECHET, BigO and 4 others like this.
  22. thunderplex

thunderplex

Sold my '55 about seven years ago. K code 289 w/4 speed. I agree with previous posts, not enough legroom for a 6' 2" 225 lb guy. I do not miss it.

23. guffey

guffey

DSC00596.JPG

Just got these the other day for my 55 Bird

24. guffey

guffey

25. thunderplex

thunderplex

Sweet!!!!!

Posted in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rolling down highway 41.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O The white walls have to go. They do not go with those wheels.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Finn Jensen and quick85 like this.
  27. Black walls and a black paint job and that thing is PERFECT!!!
    Well, maybe add a hot nailhead and a 5-speed like the drivetrain in my coupe... ;-)

I will build one of these some day...

28. thunderplex

thunderplex

A nail head in a Tbird? Nah!!!
    Little Birds are made for Ford FE 427 / 4-speeds

Posted in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rolling down highway 41.

6sally6, SOHC427 and daddy_o's_diner like this.
  29. guffey

guffey

That is actually the one the wheels came off of. I have a black original paint 55 for those wheels. I have some Ansen 5 spoke knockoffs on it now.

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER