Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Merc Grill rework

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopt 34, Oct 5, 2012.

1. I have been wanting to finesse the grill in this old custom ever since I got it. It is really not known what grill was installed in the 50's, but the 49 grill halves seem to work with the exception they never really appeared integrated to the rest of the car's style (in my opinion). I took a 50 Merc die cast center section because I prefer the clean 'Deco style' center rib and modified it to nest over the split Chrysler grill opening. Several templates, then carefully cut, trim, fit, cut, trim, fit... etc. without messing up the old chrome on the part. Then I had to reshape the grill halves and fab a set of new brackets and continuously test fit the grill(s) without gouging and burning the paint, so I took my time. When John ask if I could have the Merc at the Iron Invasion, it got me motivated. I wish I had more time to do more detail work, but I will have to address that later. We are going to get set up tomorrow morning so here is a sneek peek! I prefer the appearance of the full width grill and it provides a finished look to the front of the car. Looking forward to meeting all the guys and gals going to the Iron Invasion this weekend!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Rikster

Rikster

I like the new look of the grille Chris. Makes it look more like it belongs there than the old split grille.

3. Thank you Rik. Coming from you that is a real compliment!

4. Looks good, adds a finishing touch.
    When are you headed up, Friday or Sat morning?
    Looks like I'm running solo Sat morning.

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

agreed. I absolutey love your car by the way

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Not that I am some big custom car build genius, but I too think it just finishes it off, very nice ride!

7. Thanks guys! If you make it to the Iron Invasion, you can see it in real life. John arranged to have a stock Merc parked next to it to show the body mods.

Tyler, I just now saw your post, i drove up Friday afternoon. See you at the show, there were already a bunch of cool cars at the fair grounds last night, it is going to be great! I will see you there!

8. truckdude1

truckdude1

Chris - The car looked great at the Invasion.

[​IMG]

9. Too Tall

Too Tall

Chris, The Mystery Merc showed very well along with the 40 Rebel. I was glad to see that it made it to the show.

10. Beav1945

Beav1945

Chris, now I see what you were talking about on the grill mod. It is a definite improvement in my eyes.

It was a pleasure meeting you and all you guys at the Iron Invasion. I appreciate being included. It was nice to see cars I hadn't seen before along with the owners. Hope we run into each other again.

11. Thank you Truckdude! There was so much going on I did not get a chance to see you, I totally forgot about the meet and greet. Thanks for posting the picture!

12. Thanks Too Tall, it was really great meeting you. I am glad you made it over to my shop, you are welcome any time! BTW, I loved your Merc, what a great ending to a tragic story.

13. Hey Pete, I enjoyed checking out the show with you, what a great collection of fabulous cars. The 32 barn find and the roadster by the building that housed the Chrisman coupe, really caught my eye, I did not realize until today it was once owned by Gil Ayala! And here it is sitting out side, wow! i am looking forward to seeing what comes out of the wood work next year!