Register now to get rid of these ads!

Balancing Act

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

use the beads and itll balance out

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a lightweight Aluminum wheel adapter from Dick Spadaro, not a heavy steel one from Speedway, etc. He's on this board too.

When you bolt the adapter into the wheel, any shop can balance it, just like any other wheel.

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We use paper pouches full of a powder in flotation truck tires. You can balance everything perfectly with wheel weights but a small amount of dirt or ice in the wheel can ruin that balance. Movable ballast can balance on the fly and compensate for any changes.

4. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

The tire shop I used a lot used bead they looked Waxie to me put one pouch in each tire on the back of my tow truck a 1995 Medium duty International 4700 roll back out side on the back of both sides the truck was parked in my yard last summer the temp was in the 115's to 118's and one of my guys told me about hearing one of them blow I went and checked it out and sure enough left side was toasted plys everywhere next day same guy was walking past the truck and about thirty feet away and the other side blew. Never could find any of the beads.:cool:

5. Will this product work on tubeless Bias-Ply 6.70 - 15 Firestones or tubless radials?

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Incredible stuff! But i think all they do is absorb vibration in some way, im no expert, but its close to impossible to balance a wheel via a bag of beads.
    Still, great to know, here in italy nobody want to balance my unilug Cragars so this is my only option i guess. thyre 155/80 and i dont really feel any vibration, at all, but i'll still do it. Thanx to whoever bumped this old thread up.

website says it does. They have diffrent products for diffrent applications.
    better contactin the m b4 purchase thou.

7. Thanks!

8. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Just purchased dyna beads for my 35 KH wires. As I understand it the taller or skinnier the tire is the better they work, They are not recommended for the tuner type wide and short wheels/tires, the ones with no sidewalls.
    Also to get them in the tire through the valve stem a friend of mine put a vibrating etching scribe tool against the feed tube from the bottle to the valve stem and they marched right in.

Pete

modified likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put the edge of my quarter-sheet sander up against the valve stem, and that seems to do the trick to get them in.

kadillackid likes this.
  10. R Pope

R Pope

I won't buy a tire that needs more than a tiny bit of weight. If they are built that lumpy, they won't stand up under hard driving. If the tire shop won't go for it, I find another shop.
    The shot or whatever must act like a torsional damper, cancelling out vibes by moving around inside. If the tire is out of round, anything loose inside will go to the part that's farthest from the hub, and make things worse.

11. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I asked the guy who services the tires on my trucks about these. His reply was if they work so well, why do companies make tire balancers?

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ask a tire guy in the industry for an unbiased answer. There may be an economic factor here...

Ask the Head American about gasoline powered cars. His reply will be, "If they work so well, why is GM producing the fabulous 'Volt'?"

13. simon g-s

simon g-s

Put them in my dirt tracker tyres. Got double vision vision at anything over 70 mph before dyna beads, smooth as you like now, 120 no problem !
    Highly recommended.

Attached Files:

• 235.JPG
      235.JPG
      File size:
      231.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Brewton

Brewton

I've put these in 2 sets of front tires on my coupe (the 2nd set yesterday). Hayes-T and I used his orbital sander with a shelf rod stuck in it and vibrated all the beads through the valve stems. My first set of tires I did this the hard way by tapping the valve stem... this will make you go F^%$$& mad! Anyway, I took the weights off my first set of tires... no shakes. I left the weights on this new set... even smoother! I'm fixin to put some in the rears just to see if I can get it even smoother. Great product! I recommend them to all Hotrodders!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  15. Weasel

Weasel

About time for another bump - I have a big issue with my Willys throwing stick on weights off the rear tires and I cannot use clip ons on the 16" x 8.5" rear US Indy Torq Thrust-alikes so Dyna Beads here we come....

[​IMG]

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Finally put em in, but only in the Radir slicks round back, a definite improvement but around 80 mph there's still some vibration, perhaps putting some in the front tires would help.

17. These work by countering the hop of a tire. You can look on YouTube and see a illustration on how they work. If the tire hops in one direction the beeds move in an opposite direction to counter balance the hop or shake. The beeds never find a happy place in the casing and stay there. If the tire is moving they are working. This is why they are not heavy like lead shot. If it were heavy it will have a harder time moving around inside the tire while the tire is under speed. You cant use them in tubes or tires that have has any thing like slime or fix a flat put in them. The inside of the tire must be dry and clean. Innovative balancing says to take the weights off when you install the beads but I'd you wanted I don't see why they couldn't stay. I personally would remove them on an open wheeled car. I called and ordered enough for the front and rear tires. Nice people to deal with and very informative. Cost 68$ shipped to my house. I don't think that's bad cause any shop (unless you have a hook up) will charge 15-20 $ a tire to spin balance. Im looking forward to trying it and will post the results here. I have done a bit of research after asking about these beads. They work! From what I have found, if they don't work then they have been installed in a dirty tire.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012