Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surfer Scoop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmacracin, Oct 9, 2008.

1. riceman

riceman

Here is the history of this Scoop. This fiberglass scoop first appeared on the Greer- Black- Prudhomme Kent Fuller AA/FD with a center rib. Tony Nancy bought one and copied it, removing the center rib which Tony ran on the 22 Jr. Top Gas dragster in 1963 on top of his Enderle Barndoor Injectors. This is what is being sold as the Surfer's Scoop and is not the same shape. The Surfer's Scoop is casted aluminum, shorter & angled at the front, narrower, top half shape is different and has a flatter back to it. Archie Ary, Tommy Larkin and Fuller-Zueschel- Moody also used this scoop. Call it what you like.

Attached Files:

2. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

My wife got me one for Christmas from the e-*** guy.....I am very pleased with the quality. I've got it on my '35 Chevy pickup.

3. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I tried several different scoops and liked this one the best

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. riceman

riceman

More Scoop History from Glen Cupit :
    I just spoke with Arty again and he offers this:
    He thinks that Wayne Ewing made an aluminum scoop for one of Tony's cars with a 4-port, possibly BEFORE the GBP scoop and the others that Wayne made?

It was THAT scoop that Tony had a mold made from and sold fiberglass copies.
    Arty also thinks that Tony had a local fiberglass shop make the mold and the scoops.
    Tony merchandised and sold them. Arty bought one.
    Arty thinks that Ewing was just as pissed at Nancy for copying the scoop, the same as Ewing was at Arty for making a mold off the Wale & Candies car!

Arty thinks that Nancy did not modify his fiberglass scoop from what the aluminum scoop was.
    He said that Tony's aluminum scoop did not have a divider? So, neither did his fiberglass scoops.

It's hard to keep these 47 year old stories accurate and straight!!
    If we are still alive . . . . our memories of the same event are always slightly different! <grin>

Glenn - in Louisiana

5. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

Go Fast Fiberglass South-East PA,... Baltimore, MD... Bel-Air MD, Many Style Surfer Type Scoops..... From Mild to Wild..... Ready to block and paint!!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

what's his ebay seller name or store...

7. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

8. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I got this one from "Go Fast Fiberglass" offa eBay ,,great quality and price ,,paintin' it up for my "T" ,,
    [​IMG]

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

the "Surfers" beat GB&P ,Toney Nancy and Garlets with junkyard parts ,,GB&P& T Nancy thought it was the "Scoop" that made the difference,,,so they had to have one ,,and copied it for their Diggers ,,the "Surfer Scoop" is properly named for the 'Surfer Kids" that first ran it ,,
    Google " Surfers Dragster" and check out the history ,,videos ,,etc,,,kool stuff

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Mine has "GoFastFiberglass" on it. Don't know if this phone # is any good, but it's (410)-858-8174.

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

so the e-bay/ sellers store is go fast fiberglass??

No website (yet) but a phone #..
    I'd like to look at his wares to see how small he could make one for a single 4..

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I think you can do a search on eBay for their name ,,BUT ,,their phone number is still 410-858-8174 ,,i was in the boat business in the '70's ,,had my own fiberglass repair shop,,their 'glass werk is great ,,nice gel coat on top for your paint werk ,,and good heavy mat werk undernieth ,,price i paid was $100 plus shipping ,,,cheap fer sure ,,excellant product plus qiuck to ship,,got mine in a couple days ,,

13. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

I stopped by Go Fast Fiberglass in Southern PA on my way to the Street Rod Nationals in 2009 (YORK) and picked up my last surfer scoop in person. Randy is the mans name and is one hell of a nice guy. He had maybe 30 scoops hanging from these wild hooks that were bolted to the ceiling, there were alls kinds of scoops everywhere! There was some wild stuff being made in every nook and crannies of the shop! He even had some fiberglass Hilbourn scoops with a gauge pod/s built into the rear for a fuel pressure gauge. (seen one on the HAMB somewhere)

Each scoop had customers names taped to them or written in blue & red sharpie ink, there were even a few "CRAZY OUT OF THIS WORLD SUPER SWOOPY Type Scoops being made for some very well known people.

I have 3 of his scoops now, his scoops are the only ones that will stay together in my front engine dragster at over 200mph! The one I got from that other company being pushed here on the HAMB took over 2 months to get, then It split in half 3 quarters of the way down the track and nearly took my eye out! I have a Go Fast Scoop on my Salt Racer that has been very fast many times and still perfect (as he said it would be), one on my T-Bucket and one on my dragster.

My advice: If you want a Surfer style scoop, get one from Randy, he will even make a scoop custom made for your car!!! At one point, I was even thinking of getting a chrome scoop after my other scoop broke and hit me in the face, but when Randy grabbed one of his scoops off a ceiling hook and dropped it on the ground and stood on it, then bounced up and down on it, I Was Sold! Randy is nowhere near a little guy! sorry Randy!!!!!!!!

Little Tommy Larkin and the Surfers ran the same scoops. They were not even close to the Greer Black Scoop in any size or design. From what I remember, there were many styles ands sizes of similar designs, most started life as aluminum until copied in fiberglass later on just in case your aluminum went bye bye for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  14. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

Hey Nitro,

Here are a few photos to go along with your post.... Didn't want anyone to think you were fibbing.

It's Funny how you remember the hanging scoops..... I always forget about them till I bang my head and feel the blood running down my face! heh heh.

Take care and thanks for your kind words and confidence!

Attached Files:

15. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

20th Century .... I would love to have a few pics of your car with the scoop on it!!!

Thanks
    Go Fast Fiberglass

16. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Gasserglass.......Here is a pic of my truck with one of your scoops. I will get some more up after I get my truck back together once the frame is painted.

[​IMG]

17. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Try Scott Leber (Scott's Rods @ 419-706-5850)... I just purchased two of his scoops, very nice and not a bad price....

Rod 'N Race is out of business.... Finally..... "Eric" took alot of money from customers and never delivered the product. Scott Leber inturn purchased the company and refunded ALL customers money back !!!! You certainly cannot beat that !

18. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

NICE NICE NICE CAR'S............ Your Hot Rod makes my scoop look even better!........ The Rods are both very sweet!

19. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

20. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Took my truck pictured a couple of posts above out for the first drive to our local car show.....Got a lot of compliments on the scoop......Told them where and how to get in touch with you.......Everyone seemed to really like it......They said it had "the look."

21. Like candy hanging from a Christmas tree in your shop Randy! I gotta have soe of that candy for Project Wildthing! :D

[​IMG]

22. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Thank you, Thank You Thank You - CONNMAN * 20th CENTURY * OLD GUARD.... I Took Your Advice and bought a scoop fromRandy Roach at Go Fast Fiberglass in south east PA. :

Well, I Got My SLINGSHOT SCOOP in the mail today! Im as giddy as a school girl on prom night! Ive been in the body and fender side of our hobby for a lot of years and bought, installed, repaired & replaced many fiberglass parts and have never seen a fiberglass part of this outstanding quality in my life.

The scoop was so nice looking that I just knew it was too good of a deal to be this nice, something had to go wrong or be wrong? 30 seconds after I ate dinner I went into the shop to see if the scoop fit on my Gasser? TAH-DAH!!!!: The scoop fit like a F-ing glove with ZERO issues of any kind. It looks better then my hilborn scoop & 10 times better then that stupid Shotgun hunk of junk that I had on the car. I believe this is one of those rare deals where I got the better end of the deal! Paid $225.00 to my front door and would have paid an extra hundred if Id known the quality was going to be this nice.

Now that I'm all wound up, I think I'm ready to have a late night in the shop working on the hot rod. I think woofed my dinner down to fast and now have to eat a few Rolaids before doing anything?!?! After seeing and hearing all the horror storys about the hacker fiberglass jerks, I was really apprehensive! I feel a thousand time better now and had to take a minite to thank you guys here on the HAMB for directing me to the right guy. Thanks again CONNMAN * 20th CENTURY * OLD GUARD!!!!!

As for fiberglass Guru Randy Roach, I thank you very much for a great deal, I love the scoop you made for my car!

Thanks Guys
    Nick (The Hammer) Magliano

23. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Hey Clide,

A few cell phone pics of New York Steve's FED. This is the old Go Fast Fiberglass Surfer Scoop. Steve is getting a new GFF MACO Scoop next month so your brother in-law may get a deal on this one?

Ill post the pics of my new GFF scoops once I configure my scanner into this new PC. Cant wait to make my first pass in the spring!!!!

Vince

Attached Files:

• 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      546.6 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      536.2 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      540.8 KB
      Views:
  24. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

Thanks Anyway Vince... I already bought a GFF super swoopy scoop for the jalopy last week, but thank you for thinking of me! Now all I need is a cool looking pair of headers. I want a set that looks like spaghetti and could care less if they are tuned or not. I might have to get a set custom made? If you see anything along those lines, let me know.... its an open wheeled 27 Ford with a SBC

Who has the best deal on NOS double hump heads? I have a project that has to use factory heads, somebody in Ohio I think?

CLIDE

25. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

It really is a nice piece.....I would definitely recommend that scoop again.

26. Got my scoop last week from Randy at GoFastFiberglass and.........Absolutely better then I can descibe here in words! If all mail order parts were this quality, WOW! I am talking a quick scuff and it will be rerady to paint! Fits like a glove on the dual carbs. I am so pleased, thank you Randy for great work! And the packing was second to none on top of all this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Hello Old Guard
    NICE NICE NICE!

I love your scoop man! You are absolutly right, the craftsmanship is second to none and the fit on my scoops was spot on perfect! I've ordered, sold, installed & dealt with a gazillion fiberglass parts at the speed shop over the years from total junk to very high quality, Randy's is without a doubt the best I've ever seen. I was so happy with my first scoop that I had to buy another scoop from him for one of my other beast.

Outstanding is about as close as I can get to describing his work He packed the scoops like a cocoon and took me like 5 minutes to get each one out of the bubble wrap! Did you get artwork on your shipping box too? I got cool drawings of some kind of rat rods on both boxes.

My first scoop was a Sling-Shot Scoop and the one I bought a few weeks ago is a Mako scoop like yours but with a smooth top. Frankly I didn't know that I could get the Mako option on the Big Daddy scoop or I would have had him make me one like yours instead of the smooth. Ill just have to look into that, I want one like yours!

Thats a nice looking Intake on your rat motor, would you be interested in selling it? swapping it? I have many Rat parts to sell or swap if interested?

Take Care

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  28. Howdy DooDooHead! Thanks for the kind words, man I am still excited about the scoop! Outstanding is the correct word my friend. And silly as it may sound, "packed like a cocoon" is CORRECT!! I took photos before the unwraping and saved the inner bubble pack to put on my trohpy case! Just kool artwork for sure!
    As for selling the intake, thanks for the compliment but I fought hard and heavy (read that bid to much on EvilBay) and it is the crowning touch for project "Wild Thing".

29. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

Hey OLDGUARD, glad you got and like your scoop. I knew that you were going to like it.

I bought three Go Fast Randy scoops in the past two years in three styles.

Hes a great guy to

LOVE THAT INTAKE Ill give you 500 bucks for it

30. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

OLDGUARD..... Tell us about "WILD THING"?

What Is It?