Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 66 f100 on a budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wild willey, Dec 2, 2008.

1. wild willey

wild willey

I purchased a 66 f100 last year. I want to lower the truck. But, I don't have a HUGE wallet in which to do so. I have access to lowering blocks for the rear. For the front I don't have the $$$$ for the DREAM BEAM or whatever else aftermarket kits that are out there. Cutting coils was my first thought. Any other ideas out there??? Mind you I want to keep this old skool. Thanks for any help that I can get!!

2. H3O

H3O

talk to the guys in my group. they have 65-66 trucks in there.

3. Cut the coils, and have the I-beams bent to bring the camber back to normal. Very easy. For the rear, You will find that just relocating the axle to the top of the springs will lower it quite bit. Any amount of blocks, and you will start getting into the frame.

4. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I dont care if you don't have the money. Do it right or dont do it at all, it will pay off in the end. I've done tons of I-Beam trucks, save up and get beams, and then you can have it aligned and have no issues later down the road.

NEVER PUT ON A SET OF DREAM BEAMS!

Junk... you'll see when one breaks in half and then you'll get to see how they are constructed.

5. wild willey

wild willey

Hey everyone, THANK YOU !!! For all the advise. It is GREATLY appreciated. I have a good idea now and will post PIC"S of the finished product as soon as I am completed. Again, THANK YOU!

6. What beams do you recommend? I want to do my '66 F-100 in the future.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Most '66's are higher on the front end, flipping the rear above the springs puts the nose too far in the air even with drastic front end work. Dropped axles and cut springs will get you about 6" lower, the rear will be about the same distance down, so you still have the nose in the air. If you want it in the weeds, a front clip is the way to go.