Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Long Road To Ohio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

wow, sure glad you guys are alright

2. Nice save and kudos to all who helped. Denise is the den mother of this operation.:)
    I can share your pain. I lost this wheel (1970 Merc CHP) heading up the Grapevine doing 90. The bolts worked loose but fortunately the wheel was trapped. I threw a rooster tail of sparks for a long way.
    Just before I started this trip I had the rear brakes done by my local shop. When they installed the wheel the air gun was set incorrectly resulting in the nuts being basically finger tight. 300 miles later off they came.

[​IMG]

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

When you started this message board a few years ago did you ever dream it would have this much power and support? How many folks have been helped like this? How many more will be helped in the future? And oh yeah, Denise and Doc are both rulers.

4. hahahahaha, awesome.
    Glad all went well as could be and all was safe.
    huge kudos to Doc as well.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Glad to hear you guys are alright.
    Doc, you're some guy!
    I am trying to figure out how this can happen.....
    How can all the studs on a hub break at the same time??
    If it was under torque I could understand but driving down the road under minimal torque at speed doesn't give alot of resistance. This shit scares the hell out of me...

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Glad everything is ok . Now have a good time . Doc is the man !!

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Good to hear you made it thru that wild ride safely..you have the ability and people to back you up to fix the steel that got bent..small issue when you conciter how bad it could have gotten.
    any clue as to why all 5 studs decided to let go like that?
    maybe some heads up for some of us other builders, drivers, HAMBers?
    over torque? loose?
    poor quality?
    be interested in the knowledge as to why.

hope you had a good time anyways dispite the harry ride.

8. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

The hamb is quite a collection of helping people!!! Glad to be here.

9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

It is always easier to fix metal than people.Glad you both were OK.

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember Ryan God is with us 24/7 and is always in control. Glad everything worked out OK and I hope that you have a good weekend......

Happy Trails,

Mick

11. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i had the same thing happen to me Ryan, in the Edsel wagon no less. But we were going much slower, and no damage.

Hope all goes well

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Hey, it could be worse. Your quarter could've popped a bowling ball size chunk of bondo thus adding the extra heart-dropping dimension of discovering the car's a bondo bucket.

Your quarter looks real solid. Have fun with the trip.

(So is this going to snowball into radius wheelwells and an eventual straight axle? I hope so)

13. TomH

TomH

If you would have bough that wagon from North Dakota and that would have happened after we check it out ……….I wouldn’t be feeling to good right now.

Glad your ok.

Tom

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I'm glad you are OK.

- Joe

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Glad to hear everyone is safe. That is what counts.

16. Lucky77

Lucky77

Man, glad you guys are okay. We're just getting ready to head out ourselves. Tell ya what, I don't need AAA because I have Denise's number in my cell phone. And just knowing that there's guys like Doc in the world kind of restores your faith in humanity. See everybody at the show.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just keep on keepin' on. Have a safe and fun rest of the trip, you two.

18. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Thank God you are both unharmed. Ryan, I doubt that when you started the HAMB you could ever have imagined that this place would become SO MUCH more than the sum of its parts. I know from personal experience, "the power of the HAMB."

Denise, Doc and so many others are inspired (AND are an inspiration) by the positive energy accumulated within this group of people. Thanks for another reminder....

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Ya know, I just got the Burb back after a few weeks from the upholsterers, it'll be a good idea to check all my lugs before driving it Saturday evening........

20. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Glad you guys are ok.....I agree on what TomH said.

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

This will make us all check some stuff on our vehicles. Aren't you glad it didn't happen when your wifey was using it. Glad all has turned out ok. The best adventures of my life have been with hot rod troubles and the friends you meet or find you already had.

22. raven

raven

What?
    You didn't fix it on the side of the road like a real hotrodder?
    You telling me that you didn't bring all the necessary tools and equipment to fix it, after all it's a wagon...
    Glad you're ok and of course DOC is the man of the hour...
    r

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yay Bob, Yay Denise, Yay Doc... Doc is like superman...

24. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

A couple of Wisconsin Red Beer's and a meal helped a bunch.

Our travelers got here (Gallipolis) about 9:30, had dinner, a couple of Leiney's Red beers and relaxed a bit before hitting the hay.

The Surburban has a dead battery, will get a jump from the hotel truck and hope that cures it.

It is 85 and humid, so humid in fact it's raining. Just kidding but it did rain last night. Supposed to hot and humid all day and tomorrow also. What's new for this part of the world.

Later:

B:DB

25. Once again, Doc is The Man. That seems to come up pretty regularly. Tip of the hat to ya Doc.

Glad to hear everyone is ok and you made it to Galipolis. The car can be fixed.

Enjoy the Cinematic.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We were out of the loop way up here in Michigan but got to follow the drama VIA the HAMB. NSRA has a little booklet they print every year called the Fellow Pages that lists people who are willing to help out in emergencies. Well..........we have our own, thank you very much.
    Glad things are working out and there are no words adequate to describe Doc.

Frank

27. oaktree

oaktree

Well, shit. There's another episode of the history of the Journal. It appears that the journey to Ohio is frought with bad luck. This makes two in a row. Have a safe trip back to Austin. Thank God for a great hamber like the Doc!

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll call you today pops...

29. roadsterman32

roadsterman32
    from wi

So glad that all are alright. Standing O to all who help out. I never have experienced sheared studs and can't even imagine what would cause it. But, did have the fun of having my screwed in lugs back out and loose a front wheel on a 36 bigblock coupe I owned several years ago. Going over a hill in the boonies on a beer run, the wheel decides it likes the cornfield better than the car. Fortunatly I stayed straight and got it hauled down from about 60. Ground the front brake down to the hub. Another wild time was going to the Nats in Oklahoma in 76 following a buddies new 34 tub. We have driven 1500 and are just outside of town when all I can see is a cloud of smoke. His left rear bearing race had cracked and let the axle come loose and slide out of the rear end. As it past the fender it burned rubber until the weight of the car came down and kept it from coming out completly. Carefully edged it over 3 lanes to the shoulder where a few hours later we had it fixed and on the road to the Hotel. All scary as hell at the time, but actually rather fond memories now when remembering the folks that helped and became lifelong friends as a result. Everything happens for a reason, just sometimes it takes a while for the reason to become clear. Good luck in the repair of the wagon, and have fun at cenimatic, D

30. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Way better that it happened to you and Joyo than Marcie, PJ, and Miller on Mopac on their way to Blush. It's also good that you've been in enough hairy situations to be able to stay calm enough to steer instead of slam the brakes and freeze like most people do in deals like that. I'm glad that ya'll are okay. The car can be fixed.

Do we need to Fed Ex and extra pair of britches for Joyo?

And, once again, it goes without saying....Doc rules.