Register now to get rid of these ads!

can a ford c4 trans work with no kickdown

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by GEGE, Jan 19, 2004.

1. GEGE

GEGE

gennie shifter, no kickdown connected, vac mod is hooked up.i think shifter is adjusted correctly? park,rev,neutralworks but no auto shift when in DRive but when pulled all way down it seems in first then when movig to next detent seems to go into second or third,not sure as when i move up to next detent it stays the same and feels like its winding out too much [have not checked my rear ratio yet]. if i put it in what i think is third detent it starts out in what may be second or third and does not run thru shifts automatically ? does kickdown need to be connected so it gives some kind of signal to shift correctly? ive been told no and maybe yesses! i have also had stories about some two speed c4s being out there?

2. I've never heard of any 2 speed C-4's. Yes you do need the kick down rod. It's actually called a T.V. rod as in Throttle Valve which is what it controlls inside the valve body. For a more clear explanation talk to any trans rebuild shop. The bottom line is if it's basicly a stock box put it on.
    The Wizzard

3. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

kickdowns on c-4 and c-6 transmissions are just that, kickdowns. you can run without them on these trannys, but the trans will not drop down a gear when you need to pass someone. these transmissions use the vacuum modulator system, which does need to be hooked up.

AOD on the other hand, uses a TV system, where the tranny shifts with the feedback from this, and severe damage will be caused in a very short period of time.

AOD absolutely has to be hooked to a TV cable.

next time, post this in the general discussion forum, and it will get more views, and more replies.

4. macs55

macs55

I've ran my tranny with no kickdown for years with no problem. My friend is a tranny guy and says that you don't need one and it won't do any damage not haveing one.

5. THANKS FOR INFO, THE MORE I TALK TO PEOPLE THE MORE I GET INFO ABOUT HOW TOUCHY DIALING IN THE GENNIE SHIFTER IS RELATING TO POSITION I SET THE STICK THEN CHECKING EACH DETENT AND ADJUSTING THE TWO HEIMS AND THREADED ROD AND POSSIBLY HAVING TO MOVE THE GENNIE SHIFT ARM BY ITS SERATIONS TO GET A HAPPY MEDIAN OF ADJUSTMENT. WHEW !

6. old beet

old beet

Are you sure you have vaccuum? Had the same problem with a C-6, turns out the vaccuum line was plugged.....OLDBEET

7. GEGE

GEGE

i will be checking vac and other things this weekend so hopefully i can put something in the 'what did you accomplish this weekend' on hamb ha ha.

8. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done losts of C4s. It sound like either no vac or a bad vac modulator.

Also, the kickdown lever could be stuck in the kickdown position. Make sure that the shifter linkage is not inadvertantly binding up against the kickdown lever at the transmission.
    Good luck!!

9. GEGE

GEGE

two good points,i will work on those and inform what happened,thanks, i did do a fine toon on shift linkage rod by a few threads but have not driven yet but cant imagine that would of been a problem, maybe your ideas will solve?
    this by the way is my resto of surfer joe barnetts t touring with the new drivetrain that dan woods did in the early 70s