Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opening a track: Off topic, yet on topic:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Mar 2, 2013.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) If you own an industrial park, then what exact opposition/reasons could be raised to prevent you from operating vehicles on your own private property?

a) Everything the same as above only now let's say the industrial park is in SoCal.

2) If you own a farm outright, then what exact opposition/reasons could be raised(and presented to whom?) to prevent you from operating vehicles on your own private property?

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

There WILL be local body by-laws with regards to noise, pollution (tyre smoke etc) even though it's private property they'll still tell you what to do.

Scotty

3. I've thought about buying 10 acres in the boonies and carving out a nice banked 1/4 mile dirt track for me and friends to race on. The only problem I see is being susceptible to personal injury with no medical help around.

The big tip off anywhere would be the noise and the ultimate kibosh would be any other local law that could be thrown at you.

Bob

4. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

The first thing is zoning. Most but not all places have zoning laws. Many cities and counties are making their zoning laws more stringent. You can sometimes get a special use permit instead of rezoning a property.
    Building a track for your own use may fall in a grey area. If you're planning a track for public use you can expect the zoning and code enforcement people to fight you every step of the way.

Neighbors can and likely will be a problem. They'll bitch about everything from noise,dust and truck traffic when you build it, and then they'll really bitch about the noise once you put cars on the track. People move to an area near a track that's been in operation for decades and complain, and often get restrictions put on tracks and sometimes get them shut down completely. Shutting down construction of a new track would be easier. If you manage to get it built you can still expect someone to try to shut you down.

The zoning/code departments may require an environmental impact study.

If you need to get the zoning changed you might as well find another property with the appropriate zoning. Part of the zoning change will include public hearings where the neighbors can comment. The process can take a few months to a several years and you'll need legal representation to get it done.

If you somehow manage to get zoning approval you'll need permits. I'm not familiar with SoCal so I don't know what permits you'd need. In my area you'd need a building permit from the appropriate city or county department. If there was no sanitary sewer and a septic system is to be used you'd need a state health department permit.

They may require a traffic impact study. In some cases they make developers improve existing public roads to handle the additional traffic. They often require detention or retention ponds for water runoff.

You'll likely encounter a state department that handles public safety issues. If plan on selling concessions you'll have to deal with more licenses and inspections.

There will be government agencies you've probably never heard of telling you you can't build it, can't operate it, or make you jump through a bunch of hoops if they let you build it. Even when you meet all the requirements there will be someone in local government that doesn't like race tracks or racers and they'll use their power against you to limit what days you can operate, set a curfew, etc.

Neighbors will call the police, city council members, mayor, county board members, epa, newspapers, and whoever else they can think of that might be able to shut down your business. The more populated the area, the more resistance you'll encounter.

I recommend consulting a law firm that deals with municipal law, tax law, and liability before you even look at places to build a track.

5. Zoning laws will prevent it. HRP

6. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Sad, but probably true. I know a guy that's trying to get approval to build a track. After a considerable investment in various impact studies and legal fees over close to three years they turned him down.

7. 3 things

Insurance... insurance and more insurance.

8. contact the street racers association that BIG WILLY started , they know the ins and outs from years of dealing with all the bureaucratic B.S.

9. There was a man down south many years back who bought some property and announced he was going to build a huge pig farm. The public outcry was huge and he got fought all the way.

Then he announced plans to build a race track. He got all the approvals without a hitch and the public was behind him 110%.

Bob

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Good luck with that. Over the past 20 years or so there's probably been hundreds of established, legitimate (paying taxes, providing income etc.) race tracks that have been closed down when the NIMBYS moved in and got them closed.

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Pops1532 has a lot of the things youll need to do. Its basically impossible unless you got some power (ie lots of money, know all the right people) Or have a place in its own little valley in a county not a city. Down here in san diego we had jimmy johnsons track, the fastest 1/8 mile in the west. It was next to the airport and the airport fought that it needed the land for expansion. Well its been almost ten years and its still a vacant lot. The city has way less money too. That thing was a money maker for a lot of buisness. We have been fighting a different airport over some things involving junk yards. They just have so much money and are far reaching that its hard. Dont ever buy undeveloped land next to an airport.

However i have a 1/8 mile track at my house. I take full size cars on it, me and the girlfriend also walk on it. Its one lane and i keep dust and noise to a minimum for my neighbor. But sometimes we really get down on the thing, after a rain or on mini bikes.
    I plan to move to a bigger property farther out in the hills, it will have to have space for a track or two. I could see haveing a banked dirt oval. I would definitely respect my neighbors though.

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Dont call it a race track. It is an endurance testing facility. :)