Register now to get rid of these ads!

Norm grabowski 1933-2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT-TOP BOB, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Wouldn't that make a great cartoon, Norm burning out on the street in heaven and Saint Peter asking who let him in here?

2. RIP, old friend... :(:(:(

3. Did not know him; knew of him and ran into him in Sacto at the shows, great guy ! One of the legends gone but not forgotten. RIP NG

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very sad news indeed. My heartfelt condolences to Norm's family and many, many legions of friends.

5. My condolences to the family on their loss. If a man's legacy, is judged by the number of lives they influenced, and the friends they made along the way, it's easy to see Norm's legacy will never be forgotten. Think of all the happiness he brought to this world, during his life. R.I.P. Norm.

6. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

Thank You Norm, God Bless You.

7. chigger

chigger

God speed, Norm

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Springfield NSRA 2007. Norm and my friend Karl Skalnik. They were good friends and hot rod builders. Norm was the Will Rogers of our time, "He never met a man he didn't like." He always had time for anyone who approached him. What an ambassador for our hobby. I'm sure hes keeping them laughing in Heaven. He is missed around the world if you look at the posts coming in. What a friend.
    Sorry I have tried 35 different ways to load this picture and have failed 35 times. I give up.

9. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I had the honor to help Norm with a few things on Kookie II and for the next 10-years, remarkable little gifts would arrive in my mail box from Norm. I treasure every one of them, even more so today. That's the kind of guy he was, he was always doing favors for others and he never forgot a favor done for him. I never heard a bad word about him. How many celebrities can you say that about?

I have included photos of a couple of Norm trinkets that I haven't seen posted before.

Dobre piwo to you , Norm.

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I met Norm at NSRA Springfield show in 2006. What a person he was. Very friendly, and really enjoyed life. RIP Norm

11. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Another Hot Rodding Icon gone.....
    Rest In Peace Mr.Hammerhead

12. COOP

COOP

So sorry to hear about Norms passing. I believe he was the person that got me interested in hot rods. I remember deawing the "Kookie Car" in jr. high. Met the man on a couple of Hot Rods power tours. After seeing me just once, each time he saw me he would hide nearby and shout "Norrrrm", he then would jump out with that schoolboy smile and laugh. Great guy, glad to have met him, will really miss him. World needs more like him.

Norm Cooper

13. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Great guy, will be missed. I met him a couple times at shows.
    It was very nice and fun. R.I.P. Norm

14. ScottV

ScottV

[​IMG]

Thanks to Mark Ervin "JIGGER" here on the H.A.M.B. for sharing this art work

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  15. hairyteeth

hairyteeth

Had the honor of meeting him at a party a few years back. Couldn’t have been a nicer guy. Took the time out to break away from the crowd to show me some old magazines pics of his cars. It was a pleasure to have met him. Rest in peace.

16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man this sadens me but Norm loved a good laugh I met him in Lead Hill at Spirit Industries I was picking up a T bucket body for a friend, he told me you could built a cool car out of those things .I did not know who he was but I found out I will never forget then I saw him at the round up . I believe he never met a stranger ! He made me laugh and everyone near he was a mess quite the comic !we will all miss him I was lucky enough to shake his hand twice .

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - no one will replace him - sincere sympathy to his Family, and friends - last saw him was 3 years ago at the Gene Winfield & Larry Watson Gathering (pic)

Attached Files:

18. We're all on the same wave length...

Thanks for posting the sketch Scott, funny, I didn't even catch these comments before doing the sketch.

Here's the whole thing...

[​IMG]

19. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

R.I.P. Norm. YOU were one of the first and best!! Your car started it all for me on 77 Sunset Strip and I'll never forget it or you!

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Fantastic job, Jigger! Below: An example of how Norm got to the Pearly Gates!:cool:

[​IMG]

CLASSIC! Thanks to JustACarGuy, we have two greats in their prime -- plus a great story! :D
    "TV Tommy" Ivo, top, drags with Normie "Woo-Woo" Grabowski at Santa Ana Drag Strip
    in 1957. Ivo had earlier asked Norm if he could take measurements of the "Kookie Kar,"
    bottom. When Norm said, in effect, "Guess!", Tommy took the matter undercover and
    sneaked up on the Kookie Kar! By the time Norm arrived on the scene, Tommy had his
    coveted key measurements and was, you might say, "off to the races." :eek: In the above run,
    Norm's running a Caddy OHV, Ivo one of his cherished Buick Nailheads. What a life!
    One of the many ways we want to remember Norm!

21. Lost1

Lost1

22. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Sad news, god's speed Norm!

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Prayers for family and friends. God Speed Norm. You affected many lives in a positive way.

24. ScottV

ScottV

No problem ... sorry I cut the bottom off, not sure how that happened ?!?

25. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

RIP Norm

In the movie Hooper with Burt Reynolds

Burt: Hammerhead are you wearing anything underneath that?

Norm: No

Burt: What happens if it falls out?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  26. How many cars/trucks did Norm build over the years?

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

With all his fame and success in life he always remained "Norm', you could talk to him anytime he was around. R.I.P.

28. perk30

perk30

A true icon of the hobby. I'm sure he influenced a lot of guys, including myself to grow up loving T Buckets

29. lemonicedeuce

lemonicedeuce
    from orlando

I am so very sorry to hear about Norm .........he actually was "Uncle Norm" to a lot of us guys who are from his generation and to those who came after. Always an Inspiration. Rest in peace Norm, you have given so much to all of us. You shall be deeply missed!

30. ken1939

ken1939

Another link to the past gone. Norm was good people, as he might say.