Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dale,
    The Japanese are going to really dig your car.They have some outstanding cars and bikes over there.Awesome shirts for the trip.Have a great time!
    Myron_

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Where on Earth did you dig this picture up??? Its beautiful!

4. MikeD.

MikeD.

Hello all. I just wanted to thank anyone who had any part in letting A/FX Dave know I was out there. It is greatly appreciated.

I am here a lot, mostly reading as I don't have a Comet...yet! I told my son I'll start squrelling money away to start my own project. The plan is a 65' restored to a replica of dads Goldfender.

I also told my son that we'll pull it out of the garage and do burnouts in the drive to piss off the neighbors! I can't wait.

Thanks again and I'll keep reading.

Mike

5. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Mike. Welcome over here. This is a great Comet thread. You should tell these guy's the story about your Dad, the car and the reunion? We all like a feel good story especially if it involves a Comet! Brian

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;welcome on board,this thread has a lot of great 64/65 Comet information! I left Dave a post to get over to Comet Central and how you were looking for information on the Beswick Comet,very happy for you and your Father!!! ROY.

7. MikeD.

MikeD.

Well then thank you sir. I now know why you guys love your Comets! Screw the 67' 'Vette with a 427 in it being my favorite car... I'll take a 65' Comet with a 427 in it instead all day long! The Comet definently has the intimidation factor going for it when you look at it.

With much thanks
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. MikeD.

MikeD.

If it's okay that I may end up a little long winded I'll do it! Sorry A/FX Dave, I know that I've already made your eyes tired with my blabbering LOL. I mean he's my dad, I think it's cool and I'm proud of him.

You guys are great and keep doing what your doing...it's inspiring.

Mike

9. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dale,
    That pic came fresh from the A/FX Dave archives.I was graciously invited over.
    (Thank's Dave!)He has stacks of amazing photography.I wish I had taken a scanner with me! Will post some more pics soon.
    Myron_

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Welcome MikeD.Good to hear of your plans to build a Goldfender replica.I hope you keep us posted! There is an enormous amount of knowledge with all the gentlemen here.
    Myron_

11. Muttley

Muttley

So do the rest of us. ;) Also, please post a picture or two of your headers/engine bay when you get a chance.

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Sure Muttley.Here are some,I hope this is what your after.They're Dougs(DOU-D660YS) headers,recommended by Roy.A great fit.No complaints....the set of Hookers I had on my Cougar sat way lower than these.

Attached Files:

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I don't think I have EVER installed headers that fit so well!! I know they are not cheap,but you get what you pay for!!!I figure if Shelby could get over 300HP from a 289 back in 65 with tri-ys that they should work just fine on a street car today!!! ROY.

14. knotttty

knotttty

15. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Knotttty;
    That the correct 5 bolt Bellhousing But that one can't be used for Drag Racing! You need a Lakewood 5 bolt Steel Belhouseing of which they don't make.
    Back in 1964 there was a RC heavy alum. Bellhousing that was in the Ford Race Parts Catolog. We had one back then, it's was gone years ago.
    That why you a 6 bolt Lakewood Bellhousing makes life much much easier when Drag Racing. ~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- Thanks for keeping an eye out for me on this!! It means alot that we all do this stuff for each other! I ""think"" I may have a lead on a local guy who could use it for a resto-car... The 260 I mean. Thanks again!

17. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, was wondering how well they fit. Someday when I have some extra cash I'd like to get a pair for mine. Thanks for taking time to post the pictures.

18. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Muttley,No problem at all.

Another pic from AFX/Daves.

[​IMG]

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Myron that all looks good, I like the groove for header bolts and also the new avatar photo!!!! Nice looking car....Al

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Yeah,I have a RC Industries bellhousing (1965 NHRA Approved) on my 64 Cyclone as does the Stroppe B/FX 64 Cyclone...

Attached Files:

21. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hi All, Spent a couple fun hours with AFX Dave today and got to hear the B/FX rumble plus get my picture with it. I must say, I felt right at home in it:D.......Al

Attached Files:

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thats cool Al.I was invited over to Dave's last Friday and took some pics of Dave's Comet Headquarters I'd like to share as well.Had a blast!....Thank's again Dave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to add a few of what's upstairs.If you are at all into Trains,this will blow your mind.These guy's are SERIOUS! Everything here is scratch built.Including the track!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  23. 65COMET

65COMET

Must be the LONG,COLD winters!!!I would not have the patience[or talent] to build that railroad!!!!Nice looking Comets too!!! ROY.

24. SOHC427

SOHC427

Wow, that is a great collection, and set up. Very Nice stuff, Dave!

Eric

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;so what is going on with the 64 on the rack?It looks like a FE tucked in the engine bay! ROY.

26. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Another shot of the Beswick A/FX Comet.

Attached Files:

27. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The 64 Comet on the rack! That is a K code Calanite that came out of Calif. a early model. It had all of the body modified the same way the 64 AFX Comets were done. All the Fiberglas body parts. Plexglass windows, a 12 pt molly cage,
    Body painted Red & White w/argent Bumpers, original AFX lift bars. The engine is a FE 427 Tunnel Port with Duel Plane 2-4V intake, it has a Steel Crank w/Hemi 392 Alum Rods, flat tapet cam w/shell lifters and off set alum rockers also not to forget the Jerico trans also with a compleat Mark Williams 31 spline axles and lightweight spool, pro gear, N-Case w/caps, 3 1/4 bearings & 5/8 wheel studs.
    That's it for now, just a money pit!!! ~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;are you building it to race?That sucker ought to run hard!!! ROY.

29. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Roy; I can't race those factory FX cars any more, that why I am building the AFX Type Comet, that was original built to run with NMCA in the P/N Class. That Ended a few years ago. I have a Grandson that is going to be 16 yrs old this month is going to get his drivers license, keep those Comets in the family.
    I want him to start with the 66 Red Comet. Roy that car has 2 pedals and only 467 ci with 2-4V and 31x 10 1/2 W on the rear all Mark Williams. Milan has a High School Nationals in the spring. He has to start off slow for now. ~~~~~~~AFX Dave~~~~~~~

30. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Dave. I hope your Grandson knows how special those cars are? He is very lucky. You are smart to start him out slow. I started in a 70 Torino with a 351C 4 speed in high school. I thought a low 15 was really fast then.

I remember a story up here in Seattle where a guy put his kid in a 9 second car for the high school drags. It did not end well. Brian