Register now to get rid of these ads!

A bid to accelerate to 1,000 miles per hour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Breedlove is probably the strongest argument for the rocket age pilots being real hot rod guys. Breedlove was undoubtedly the real deal. Of course, I'm also an AMC fan, so, I may be a bit biased.:rolleyes::D

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Isn't it the land speed record, and not the tractive force record? As long as the thing stays on the ground... it's a speed record on land in my mind.

But if it ever completely "departs" the land, then something entirely different will be going on. And not LOL. Gary

PS Air wise, something like the F-15 records might be hard to beat. After all, they can accelerate thru supersonic going straight UP!

Really OT vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HLka4GoUbLo

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'd take you up on that. But how am I going to collect?

4. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

You just need a ride to his place in 'Doodah Doodah'.
    I'm saying if not 2013 then for sure by 2015...
    Seems the clue might come after the test in October.
    Until things change it's fast,loud and on wheels so I'm a believer.

5. Andy green is a bad ass...

Sam

6. aircap

aircap

No sweat, Rich. I'll get hold of you....

7. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

Didn't Goldie do it in rat race lol

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Land speed racing goes back to 1898. How traditional do you need? Going from flatheads to overheads must have been rough on the true traditionalists.

9. LaurieB

LaurieB

Love this quote! Best of luck to them!

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

One of the things I was reading about that dramatically affects their ability to break the grand mark speedwise is the friction head created by passing through the air. It's actually pretty interesting, but I'd love to see it. I'd also love to share it with my students as well. I find it's a great way to teach them a 'frame of reference' for just how fast these guys are moving. If I remember correctly, 768mph is roughly equal to passing through 4 football fields every SECOND! Crazy neat stuff.

11. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I'm thinking the pilot of this bomb will be the one dead and buried.

12. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

That's just crazy!

13. I love this, someone takes time out of their life to diss this discussion as non HAMB worthy.
    Maybe you need to find a hobby, volunteer at a charity, or discover pron. If you've got time to concoct an argument like this, you've got too much time on your hands.

Meanwhile, I love this balls out LSR stuff!

14. Count me in also. This is not a saturday nite special attempt. The best minds out there have teamed up and spent considerable money. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them pull it off.

15. oj

oj

Hmm, 1000mph and a 12mile lake bed? Didn't Wile E. Coyote try that?

16. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You can't go 1000 with pistons and pistons don't make it "traditional" LSR is run what works for the speed you want. Didn't you ever see that old black and white movie of the screwball on ice skates with his ass on fire and three rockets strapped to his back? That's traditional... :D

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pistons. Not wheel driven. Not an LSR car. Rocket on wheels. Interesting, but not a car.

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

OK, can't argue with that. In the end it may not matter as flying near the ground or rolling at 1000 is as likely to end in disaster as it is to succeed.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

First off it's an air breathing engine so it's not a rocket. Secondly, since the LSR community accepts it as a LSR car, it must be. Not a wheel driver car, granted. but a jet car. Like the one that blew down the fence at Fremont. And these guys did break the speed of sound. So they must know what they are doing.

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

1000mph.... friggin nuts. and did i read write, a cosworth f1 engine will be used as a fuel pump essentially ? holy fuck lol

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, jet plane on wheels. I get what you are saying otherwise, but, in my opinion, this is not exactly pushing the envelope, save for the boundary-layer one.

Jet planes that can exceed 1000mph exist. This is just (I know it is a big JUST) operating one that produces downforce, instead of lift, on the ground. Existing mechanism, different mode.

Do it with pistons, and with wheel drive. No 1000mph examples that I can find of that, in any mode.

22. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

any one do the math? 1000mph and ONLY 12 MILES???? THATS A SERIOUSLY SHORT SPURT.

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

When did the above determine whether or not a car is an LSR car?

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, my opinion? In my book, not wheel-driven = not car.

25. So I understand how they want to get to 1000mph in only 12 miles. I got that ...my question is how long and how far does it take to slow down.......safely.........?

26. Weasel

Weasel

Don't ya love all these 'keyboard Rambos':rolleyes:. Y'all would be crying like babies the moment they strapped you into that thing and it hadn't even moved. Andy Green has BIG BRASS ONES!

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I have been at over 200 on the motorcycle, and the car. Maybe not 1000, but then again, I don't have that kind of funding.

28. Master of None

Master of None

1000 mph is hard to grasp on land......I'm really struggling with how are you going to stop a rolling missile safely? Crazy to think about that kind of power.

29. I'm with Riot Pirate. I'd crap my pants! No, I wouldn't have the nerve to even say yes.
    Rocket, car, traditional, not traditional, what difference does it make! It's still going to be worth paying attention to.