Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rule #1: Keep in formation. :cool:
    Rule #2: Remember to deploy landing gear. :rolleyes:
    Rule #3: Return the food tray in the upright position. :p
    Rule #4: Keep the dirty side down and the pointy end in front! :eek:

[​IMG]

Prewar cover illustration by Calrson and Meagher for a book by Assen Jordanoff,
    published by Funk & Wagnalls, 1941. was a Bulgarian pilot and aeronautical en-
    gineer who emigrated to the US in 1921. He worked as an engineer for a number
    of companies, including Curtiss-Wright, Boeing, Lockheed, North American,
    Consolidated, Chance-Vought, Douglas and Piper, where he produced instruction
    books and manuals for famous airplanes such as the P-40 Warhawk, the P-38
    Lightning, the B-25 Mitchell, the B-17 Flying Fortress, the B-24 Liberator, the B-29
    Superfortress, and the Douglas DC-3. His series of instructional books for pilots --
    including Your Wings, Through the Overcast, and Safety in Flight -- were popular
    through the 1930s and 1940s. FlickR member NYKid has a couple of GREAT nos-
    talgia and vintage photo series. Here are a few examples, should anybody want
    to drop by FlickR and look him/her up!

2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. John Stimac

John Stimac

My super tough old man and Mom with Unc's 36 Ford in 1938

5. Wow I can tell he's your Dad... but you're much Greyer!:eek:

6. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    The caption says this is Homewood Avenue, taken in June, 1950 and it is from the historical archives @ Pitt.

7. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Another picture from the same Pitt collection.

8. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

For our train lovers (I'm one), this photo is at Springfield, Missouri on July 27, 1952. Note the locomotive is named "Gallant Fox." Many of these passenger locomotives were named after race horses, including "Sea Biscuit."

HJmaniac likes this.
  9. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

10. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can I have my car now, its the white chevy in the middle :eek:

Trojan Horse likes this.
  11. The parking lot from hell! Can you imagine how that place would be if everyone wanted to leave at the same time? Fuckin' A!-MIKE:eek::eek::eek:

12. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

It's been a while since we last saw some big hair on the thread.

13. My first ex-wife

14. John F

John F

The mall at Christmas?

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

"Hey officer! I gotta get my car, its the red vw..." :)

16. map

map

Homewood was a nice neighborhood up to the 60s then it turned in a ghetto $hit hole now mostly empty lots now..

17. I quit counting red VW's at 10..... that must have been the most popular color back then.

18. spooler41

spooler41

Pix #33719, Departure Reservations required!

........Jack

19. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

You're giving me nightmares here!
    In 2000, I was running a car show at a Fairgrounds in Lockport, NY. A week of heavy rain actually made a major portion of the show field under water, or too soupy to use. But participants came anyways as there is a huge swap meet involved. We had one area high and somewhat dry, at least solid enough to use. We parked cars side by side, then down the aisles until we had about 140 cars on the show field, but gridlocked. Then we actually had to close the gate and turn cars away for over an hour. Then some of the early people said they wanted to leave.........
    Many had come for the swap meet, and once they covered that, they were ready to go. Some had other committments to go to, and no way could we find all the people to move their cars to let anyone out.

Oh it got ugly............

Spectator parking was even worse.........in back of the fairgrounds was spectator parking, an "in" road and an "exit" road. Traffic was backed up down the street so the local cops directed cars to go "in" the "exit road" they ended up nose to nose way in back and lined up out into the street.
    A couple of the turned away show cars went in that way, many got buried in the field trying to find a solid place to park. There was a 4 wheel drive tractor there, pulling cars all day.

That was Saturday.......
    Then it rained all night into Sunday morning. The show field was under water completely, all swap meet vendors were afloat.
    But by 8:00 AM the sun was shining, and cars came from all over for the show and swap. We spent the day trying to get the vendors out........
    Bad memories.........and that picture had to bring them back.

20. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Which one are you talking about?:)

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

My dad called places like Woolworth and Kress "the five and dime," as in, "Let's go down to the five and dime, I need pipe cleaners."

22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Steering columns and those big steering wheels would be thrust back, up under your chin, and drive your head up and backwards into the roof in such crashes. If the driver lived he was lucky. I remember driver's ed class in the '70s with highway patrol photos of drivers killed by steering wheels/columns thrust up and back by sudden-stop crashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.