Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bubba To The Rescue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Jim Rules!

3. RichG

RichG

Brian Bosworth, there's a blast from the past!

Glad you got your ride ironed out.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Points have never left me stranded.....

And my local parts stores all stock points for mallory dual points....

5. big creep

big creep

my buddy told me about the one time he left his key on, burned the points out!
    all because he wanted to have the radio on while hanging out with some girl. i keep a spare points set up, just in case. you never know?

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have a spade connector on my coil.
    so when the ing needs to be on for a while with the engine off ( like when I'm working on someting ), its easy to disconnect the coil.

And then, of course, i forget to re-connect it before I try to start it... :D :D

7. I'm not a fan of the Mallory, or anything else you can't get parts for at your local parts store. Keep it simple, and reliable!

8. Bubba does nice work, but I prefer the MopAr small block distributor/elec ingition conversion.

Rock solid too, small cap fits in real nice (looks almost stock) and cheap to find and easy to mod.

Works on everything from stock flatheads to 9 sec cars !!

Rat

9. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Jim does great work. And to boot, he is a top notch guy! If you ever get a chance to take one of his seminars, I would highly recommend it.

10. Glad you got it fixed Ryan, my brother calls it the "KISS" princible.
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

Sometimes it the simple thing in life that are the best.:D

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

New mallory stuff is garbage, even points for old distributers, but NAPA also sells other non-mallory points for the old YC distributers. When i was having voltage issues with my daily, due to a too short resistor wire the mallory points lasted 1/2 as long as the napa ones, and napa had theirs on hand!

12. George/Maine

George/Maine

If everything is working thats great,But i,m for keeping the dist stock and using points,always keep your old points and condenser you may have to change on side of rode.All thougt having the electric fuel pump go, thats another thing being fat i,d never get under car.

13. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I have seen this guy work on various vehicles at the Newport Hill Climb. He is always helping people out in need and gets them back on the road. Great company!

14. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had a "Bubba's" distributor in my flathead for over a year now, and it runs unbelievably well, much better and smoother than the petronix ignitor it replaced. Timed and curved to perfection. I don't think the price and quality can be beat!

overspray

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Cue up Willie Nelson.."on the road again".

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

exactly.... Napa stocks points for even the old mallory double life dizzy which I will be running in my sbc. unfortunately you can't run down and get a cap and rotor for them at the local parts store! The biggest thing to note when building your car is knowing what part numbers are what and having the list in your car!

For my SBC I plan to run a msd box I have with the points. should make them last forever and if I have an issue with the box I can bypass it and keep driving. still thinking about sending my double life to gmcbubba to have setup though!

17. mogara

mogara

I've known Bubba my whole life, and he never ceases to impress me. He's like Wolfgang Puck with a can of SPAM too. He can do it all!

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm nervously running a used Unilite in the '50 Burb. Been meaning to get with Jim for something better, with vacuum advance.

19. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Glad to see ya back on the road boss. We run one of Bubba's dizzies on the forty. It runs real good. Did he send ya some Bubba's Hot Sauce?

Doc.

20. Ole don

Ole don

Bubba did the custom curve on my Y block distributor. I shift it between 6600 and 6800, it has never missed a beat. I will sing praise to him untill I die!!!

21. Now I can't wait to get my Bubba dist. fired up in my flattie! Thanks!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just love that you brought the BOZZ (Brian Bozworth) into this conversation. I'm damn near tempted to send my shit out to Bubba this week just to make sure when I go to fire my 265 it fires with ease. Damn it.....I'm going to PM him right now.

Great to hear you're back on the road brother.

23. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I ran a Pertronix conversion on my '40 for about five years until (like others have experienced) it died without a whimper one afternoon leaving me on the side of the road. Have since reverted to a stock Ford dual point divers helmet style distributor with a 6v coil rebuilt by Skip Haney in FL. The car has never run better. An additional benefit of going "stock" was that it allowed me to install a vintage Sun football tach. To each his own, I guess, but think I'll probably stay stuck in the 50's.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

25. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

bubba's sounds like the way to go. i prefer points too, if nothing else you can scrape them with a pocket knife and get back going.
    my dad had a 72 mopar with an electronic ignition in the early 80s. it went out on christmas day going to see family, just quit. we had to call a neighbor to take us home after a couple hours he went back and it started right up. He found the problem and after that he always kept a spare ignition module in the glove box.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bought a 460 in a parts truck that had a mallory in it and after I got it home it would just shut off when it wanted to so but would restart so it got yanked and when the motor went in my 66 f250 I installed a duraspark system where I can get parts at any parts store. I am going to have Bubba build me a electronic distributor for the 235 in my 37 chevy since I think the parts he uses are common parts that are availabe anywhere,with 4 dollar a gallon gas I want all of it burnt and with the gas being so crappy I am suprised a points system can actually burn it.

27. Ryan
    Oh so many years ago I was convinced by my buddy to put a unilite in his chevelle. That thing left us stranded at least 10 times. Went back to the points and all is well. I have 3 units with Pertronics in them, one for over 10 years, and they have never let me down.

28. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

He's doing a conversion for me now ,can't wait to put it in.